Hunter College Social Work Fall 2018

Zyra

On 6/26/2018 at 3:05 PM, pettyaspraxis said:

Is anyone else frustrated with their interactions with their field advisor? I’m an out of state student and can’t meet in person so I asked to meet over Skype/the phone but my field advisor insists that we met in person. I told her I won’t be in NY until August and all she replied was with a one sentence reply stating that would be a problem because August is a vacation month.

Should I just email one of the other advisors and see if they can help me? I feel like my concerns aren’t being taken seriously by the person i currently have 

CC or email the director kokuda@hunter.cuny.edu. It's not a requirement to meet with the advisor. I asked my advisor if we could he said because of a time it is not necessary. Who is your advisor?

On 6/28/2018 at 12:49 PM, cfabre said:

CC or email the director kokuda@hunter.cuny.edu. It's not a requirement to meet with the advisor. I asked my advisor if we could he said because of a time it is not necessary. Who is your advisor?

Gricel Okazaki

i sent an email to the director about a week ago explaining my situation but never got a response. Should I send another email? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2018 at 3:49 PM, cfabre said:

I would definitely email someone else to have that checked out because I live and teach in Brooklyn and couldn't make it up to Hunter by 5pm so we scheduled a Google video chat while I was on my lunch break. My advisor is Joanne Rizzi and she was so great to chat and connect with. 

My field placement will be in Brooklyn working doing home visits and doing intake, evaluations, goals, and connecting clients with co- occurring medical and mental health challenges. Although it's not me providing services right to my clients, I feel as if it will give me valuable information with what services are available to clients in Brooklyn with the hope that it will narrow down my mind about what I want to explore for my second year field placement and beyond. 

Looking forward to August! 

Katie Johnson 

I think i am going to email Kanako about this because this is getting ridiculous 

my field advisor sent me another unhelpful reply today and said she could talk on the phone but there is a policy that requires an in person meeting first. I feel like she’s just saying that so she doesn’t have to deal with my issues bc clearly other people’s field advisors have been able to accommodate them. I’m thinking of asking if I can have my field advisor switched bc I feel unheard by the person I have now 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I applied to the Silberman School of Social Work today, but I am very worried! First of all, I did the application in the summer because I just completed my last undergraduate class this summer and unfortunately was not able to get in touch with my intern mentor and therefore had reccomendations sent from two professors that I recently took psychology courses with. Do you think not having a reccomendation from an internship will effect the application? Where did everyone else get their reccomendations from? Also, I’m worried I won’t get accepted because my gpa is just about 3.2 and I only did two internships that would be deemed relevant. I did three total internships, but one isn’t as relevant as the others, but I was able to grab some skills from it, which I explained in my personal statement. Does anyone know the turn around time or acceptance rate? If anyone has advice, that would be great. Thanks!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 6:55 PM, Danielle2910 said:

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I applied to the Silberman School of Social Work today, but I am very worried! First of all, I did the application in the summer because I just completed my last undergraduate class this summer and unfortunately was not able to get in touch with my intern mentor and therefore had reccomendations sent from two professors that I recently took psychology courses with. Do you think not having a reccomendation from an internship will effect the application? Where did everyone else get their reccomendations from? Also, I’m worried I won’t get accepted because my gpa is just about 3.2 and I only did two internships that would be deemed relevant. I did three total internships, but one isn’t as relevant as the others, but I was able to grab some skills from it, which I explained in my personal statement. Does anyone know the turn around time or acceptance rate? If anyone has advice, that would be great. Thanks!! 

Hi Danielle, 

I know its a bit late, but hope this helps: 

- I did not have a recommendation from an internship and it did not effect the application. I was a returning student - one came from a professor and the other came from a former colleague (I was in corporate advertising, so  a way different field but she could discuss my strengths and how they would have applied to this field)

- Your GPA is over a 3. I hear that is fine - the personal statement matters more (went to the Q&A sessions)

Give the admissions office a shout! They are pretty responsive - worse comes to worse, get up to the school and go to the office - show them you really want it. I'd look up a bunch of people and call / email them for help - Gwynne Mitchell is in Admissions, Rob Lorey is on a ton of the emails I get, Michelle Desir works in the admissions - see if they can help you. Just know what route you want to take (clinical, COP&D) first. Best of luck - please do keep me posted!