JustPoesieAlong

Cleaning Up the Results Board

Greetings! First, many thanks to all the folks involved in running this incredible resource! 

I'm wondering, though, if it's possible to at the very least encourage posters on the results board to use the forums for discussion and questions. It's getting difficult to filter through all of the extraneous conversations to see the actual results coming in. 

Thank you!

There's straight up mutiny going on under "creative writing," haha. People are getting in fights. Someone has done the Spongebob meme (WhEn YouR tExT iS LikE ThiS) without the actual meme. It's insanity there. I don't mind minor questions, but this is next level, lol.

I was about to create a similar thread, but apparently you guys have tried dealing with the mess that is the results section. I know that it is hard and everything but isn't it particularly messy this year? May I suggest maybe setting a character limit for the comments or maybe or write something like: "if you have any questions or want to contact others please use the forum" instead of just "use forum for discussion". Or maybe put a notice at the top of the submission form the same way you have this thing?:image.png.391e5430d1b93413d400feac785327b8.png

Thank you for all the work you do!

Edited by perpetualalligator

Folks please, this is getting out of hand. The results page is becoming a forum in itself.  Not only that but people are writing about committing suicide and there is no way to reach out to those people. This is not healthy, the results page has become a toxic place. Please do something.

image.thumb.png.8b6f8963741fa44d6036e18b3ab53082.png

@perpetualalligator - Thank you for your concern and suggestions. While the application process can be very stressful, we suggest anyone contemplating suicide contact https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ (1-800-273-8255).

The unfortunate nature of anonymous posting creates the freedom of more valuable information submitted, but also the opportunity for toxicity. With the Results section, negativity breeds negativity, so it is quite possible it is worse than years past if more people are using it in that manner.

It is a difficult balance and we are looking at ways to curb negative comments that occur with any open forum, especially an anonymous one.

I know past attempts at posting notices have gone ignored. It will take a functionality change to truly curb "discussion" and negative comments, but it also comes at a price of preventing good information from being posted as well.

In the short term, we have increased our moderation of the Results section for the duration of this application season. This will make an impact in cleaning up the junk.

Long term, we will be adding functionality changes this summer that will help keep the Results section more "results" oriented and allow conversations to take place in a manner that does not distract as it does today.

@TGCA Thank you very much for your response and for the information. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to have the suicide prevention information somewhere visible and maybe provide resources for internationals too as this page is not only accessed by people in the US and Canada.  I really appreciate everything that you are doing. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do as a user to help; I'm sure other users would be also interested in helping out.

24 minutes ago, perpetualalligator said:

@TGCA Thank you very much for your response and for the information. I was thinking that it would be a good idea to have the suicide prevention information somewhere visible and maybe provide resources for internationals too as this page is not only accessed by people in the US and Canada.  I really appreciate everything that you are doing. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do as a user to help; I'm sure other users would be also interested in helping out.

You are welcome. We just released a tool for our Mods(and potentially others) to help monitor/clean the Results data. The tool will be a nice improvement and we may look to add more resources from the forum user base to help ensure the integrity of the Results section. Once ready, I'll keep you in mind as a Results moderator.