What's your age when you apply for graduate program for the first time and when you get into one?

Pugislife

I graduated with my first bachelor's at 21, will graduate with second bachelor's in two weeks at 33.  Applied and got accepted into masters program at 33, so will be 35 when I finish.  Planning to apply to PhD programs at 34-35, acceptance age (if any) remains to be seen.

I applied the first time in undergrad during fall 2015 and I was 21/22 ( apps are due Dec 1 and my Bday is Dec 2nd) and didn’t get in. 

Took a gap year. Did a post bacc for this year.

I applied for the second time fall 2017 and got in this time. And I’m 23/24. 

I was 21 when I began applying. 21 when I will enter the program :) (late birthday haha). Got in right away after my undergrad - applied to 6 schools, got into 3 (1 being my top school), wait listed in 2 schools and rejected by 1 school! My program mostly takes older candidates, so I think the average age range is between 23 and 25! Good luck.

• 5 months later...
On 3/28/2018 at 11:06 PM, Piagetsky said:

Started undergrad at 33, master's at 38, starting a PhD program at 40.  Professors I inteviewed with said my life/work experiences were what caught their attention.  

@Piagetsky This is very encouraging, as I've been concerned that taking 6 years off working in a somewhat related field could put me at a disadvantage due to my lack of publications in that time period (all my research was internal to the companies I worked at). Hoping that those 6 years is not a write-off based on your post :) 

Edited by dougie

On 4/22/2018 at 9:03 PM, topsailpsych said:

I'm a career changer, so my path has been a little circuitous.  I first applied for a clinical psych PhD program at 24 and was rejected.  Applied for clinical psych PhD again at 25 and was rejected again.  Applied to a grad cert program in positive psych at 26 and was accepted.  Completed that an applied for a counseling psych PhD program at 28, was rejected for PhD but accepted into the MEd program.  I applied for clinical and counseling psych PhD programs this past fall at 30 and was rejected by all.  I have had virtually no research experience through everything, so after I complete my MEd next month I'm going to spend a year doing research and hopefully publishing like crazy then applying again this fall at 31.

Everyone has a different path to graduate study.  If you feel you're ready to commit yourself to a graduate program now, there's no harm in going ahead and applying.  If you feel you need a few years of a break from school, there's no harm in taking some time away and returning in a year or two or ten...  Finances can certainly complicate decision making, but you'll make the decision that's right for your situation.  And truly there's really no wrong path to grad school.  Your path is your own.  Good luck!

Your dedication and commitment is impressive! Research experience is definitely one of the most important factors for admission into funded PhD programs so you're on the right track. 

OP, your path to a grad program does not have to be linear. In fact, for a lot of students and even current faculty, their paths certainly weren't linear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm a young 42 and have no formal research experience. I completed an independent research project and numerous class research projects during undergrad (in psychology and microbiology), but I imagine everyone does those. Worked in the field for several years in multiple positions. First time applying, applied to a single programme. My POI hasn't told me exactly why he selected me, but I have an idea.

My situation doesn't appear to be at all typical in comparison to the people that frequent these forums, but I'm completely fine with it.

I graduated when I was 22 and applied shortly after turning 24! I'll be starting the program when I'm 25. The two gap years between graduating undergrad and applying was a great learning experience (also a great breather from school ahah), and really confirmed for me that 1) this is really what I want to do/am passionate about and 2) I am firmly committed to the idea of going back for grad school.

You got this OP!! :) 

I was twenty-three when I applied for my Master's! I am currently still twenty-three (until Saturday)! I graduated with my Bachelor's degree on my twenty-third birthday, and it took me five years to do my undergrad (double major, minor, and undeclared minor).

Similar to others on here, I didn't have my path sorted out for a while. Did my first degree in an unrelated field, graduating at 22, then decided to pursue a second degree in psych kind of at random when I was 24. Ended up totally loving it and became focused on research and the possibility of graduate programs. Graduated with my psych degree at 27 and will start in fall 2019 at 28. Envious of those who found their path so young and are starting a program much younger than I am, but definitely grateful for the opportunities ahead that graduate school will have to offer!

7 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

Similar to others on here, I didn't have my path sorted out for a while. Did my first degree in an unrelated field, graduating at 22, then decided to pursue a second degree in psych kind of at random when I was 24. Ended up totally loving it and became focused on research and the possibility of graduate programs. Graduated with my psych degree at 27 and will start in fall 2019 at 28. Envious of those who found their path so young and are starting a program much younger than I am, but definitely grateful for the opportunities ahead that graduate school will have to offer!

I was a professional web developer when I moved from the UK to the US at 24. I didn't start undergrad until 31, lol.

I'm envious in some ways, in others, not so much. I'm married, established, and focused. Not that others aren't focused in their 20s, but I could imagine that sacrificing competing interests, such as social lives, sex, and romance, could make you feel like you're missing out. I've also had some time off work to care for a relative, so I've had enough free time to drive myself crazy.

I applied the fall after I finished undergrad. I was accepted at 22 and started soon after turning 23. I kind of wish I had waited longer, and my other classmates in the 22-24ish range felt similarly. Not to say that younger students are immature or unprepared, I just feel that I lack perspective and experience outside of academia compared to some. 

Applied first at age 21 (also graduated undergrad at 21), reapplied at 22 and will be starting shortly after I turn 23 :) Having to reapply really reaffirmed my passion for and dedication to the field, so I can't say I regret how things played out. 

I finished my first masters at 24, and I'm finishing up a second this year in applied statistics at 30. I'm researching PhD programs in Quantitative Psych and Applied Statistics, but I want to spend several years working as a statistician or data scientist before applying. 

Edited by dmacfour

I completed my undergrad at age 21. I applied to grad school at age 30. I was accepted at age 31. My time in that 10 year gap has included raising children (they are still little) amd working. I know people worry about that gap year vut i actually think working in my profession before.going onto graduate school has worked in my favor to really know what to get further ed in, what i like, what i dont like, and the ability to offer several perspectives that i could not have without that gap. I will be 34 when i graduate 

28 when I applied, accepted in my first cycle. I finished my undergrad in psych at 22 but I decided to work in industry instead of going to grad school. Did that for 6 years, then made the decision to pursue an MA/PhD in clinical psych.

In retrospect, I'm very glad I took a break. I was able to save money, gain valuable skills and self-confidence, and really make sure that I was up for 6 more years of school. I'd highly recommend taking some time off from school - you may find another path that's right for you, or it can confirm for you that grad school really is what you want. 

• 2 weeks later...