zoologyandc

Any fellow disabled grad school applicants?

Hi everyone! Just wondering if there’s any other grad school hopefuls (or current grad students) with disabilities out there. I (graduating senior, zoology) have an autoimmune disease and I often feel sort of inadequate with how much I’ve accomplished in undergrad, mostly because I’ve had to spend summers in the hospital instead of in the lab or at internships. Anyone with disabilities successfully apply to grad school?

I feel the same way (I have bipolar and ADD) and I feel like I have to explain myself so much more. I feel inadequate as well but I'm sure you're like me in where you've accomplished so much despite it. Just going to college and even applying to grad school is an accomplishment like you made it this far so nothing is stopping you from going farther. Best of luck to you in grad school apps!!  

Yeah, bipolar 1/anxiety/likely OCD here. I took time off during undergrad because of hospital stays, but no one been asked about it my grad applications.

I ended up accepting at a place at a good university which is exceptional in my department (top 10). I am genuinely enjoying my PhD here. However, I still hurt a bit when I see my peers who had lower grades than me going to brand name universities like our undergrad. I only applied to programs geographically close to my parents and partner to try and avoid relapse, and though I know I made the right call, it's hard to be reminded of what I can't do anymore. Instead, I try to focus on all that I do have. Living with serious mental illness is a path I would wish on no one, and even doing grad school at all is an achievement for me.

Yes. I have psychiatric disabilities, and they have really held me back academically and professionally.  It took me double the amount of time to finish law school-6 years instead of 3-due to taking multiple mental health leaves.  However, unlike most recent law grads I ended up graduating with a job lined up that's full-time, long-term and JD required.  So I did pretty well for myself in spite of it all.  

On 4/5/2018 at 7:26 AM, zoologyandc said:

Hi everyone! Just wondering if there’s any other grad school hopefuls (or current grad students) with disabilities out there. I (graduating senior, zoology) have an autoimmune disease and I often feel sort of inadequate with how much I’ve accomplished in undergrad, mostly because I’ve had to spend summers in the hospital instead of in the lab or at internships. Anyone with disabilities successfully apply to grad school?

Hey, me too, I lost one year because of my disease, but I don't know if I can use it as an excuse. Because of the same thing, I suffered and had to resign from my very first job. I don't know if mentioning it will do any good.

Late to this topic, but I was and will be a disabled applicant for 2021 again. It's tricky having medical disability that is so unpredictable and costly. I have noticed that most of the accessible programs/campuses are up-front about it (e.g. it does not take a great deal of work or research to find accommodation services, they have diversity programs that exist etc...) I have had the most success with being upfront about my circumstances with professors/supervisors/housing etc... 

The feelings of inadequacy, of "being behind" linger but I remind myself of how much I have accomplished in different realms than my peers. My path is going to look different, and I am okay with that. 

Rising MSW student this fall! I'm deaf and also doing my program 100% online. I'm a little scared to see how the professors will handle this experience. At my undergrad they had a HUGE disability office and were fantastic about providing access to online materials. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but this school seems to be very understanding. One thing that scares me is I won't be able to make any friends in my cohort since I can't call or videochat with them.

I am a 2 time grad school attendee (different degrees).  I am deaf in one ear and was diagnosed with severe narcolepsy some years ago, in college.  I understand your feelings, because I felt the same way for YEARS.   I just had to start seeing that despite the disability, we managed to graduate from school and are trying to live as best a life as possible. 

I have talked about that experience in my essays and how I overcome that to live my life.  Being disabled and still managing to go through everyday life is an accomplishment in itself.  I'm now a practicing tax lawyer and have changed how I feel about these disabilities.  Understanding my resilience has allowed these things not to stop me one bit!  Stay strong and know that you are living with your disability shows your strength. 

Cheers