Oh and the older cohorts mentor the incoming cohorts. If you want, they will match you with someone sort of a one on one. No test answers given of course, but the mentor helps explain assisgnments, study tips, encourage, etc..

On 5/30/2019 at 1:14 PM, CaidanFire said:

Oh and the older cohorts mentor the incoming cohorts. If you want, they will match you with someone sort of a one on one. No test answers given of course, but the mentor helps explain assisgnments, study tips, encourage, etc..

That’s amazing I am interviewing soon and  am so nervous! 

On 5/30/2019 at 3:06 AM, bibliophile222 said:

As long as you have a decent credit history, you can get GradPlus loans through FAFSA. There aren't any extra steps you need to take to apply for it and it covers the whole cost of tuition and living expenses if it's more than the Stafford loans. The interest rate is higher than the Stafford loans, but I think (?) it's still better than private loans. 

I didn't know about this. After looking into it, yes it is a little higher (7%ish). Thanks for letting me know!

On 5/30/2019 at 10:05 AM, Ggslpa said:

Congratulations on your acceptance!!!! 

Thank you! Hope you hear from them soon.

On 5/30/2019 at 12:34 PM, KEIM said:

Is the cost for this program super high? I was told it was around 45k which is much cheaper compared to other online programs. But now I'm starting to think that was the cost of the on campus program and not the distance program. 

The tuition is 55k as another poster stated. I don't believe USAHS has an on campus program, just this hybrid one.

Just be yourself. Really. I know everyone says that but its true. I interviewed very close to the start of the semester. The program director asked me how I felt about starting so soon and if I was prepared. I said, "Honestly, I feel like throwing up!" The director laughed and said she completely understood the feeling of "wanting to hurl" (her words..haha). Then I went on to explain how organized I am and what all I have done to prepare myself for an online master's program.

I honestly can't remember the other questions, but they were not hard questions. They didn't ask me about therapy or anything like that

They know you are nervous. Just relax, breath and remember, they are interviewing you because they are considering offering you a spot. Let them see the real you.

Edited by CaidanFire

5 hours ago, bm34384 said:

Hi! Can any current SLP students at St. Augustine tell me what their clinicals are like? (How often, are they each semester, how long?)

Thank you!

I'm in the second cohort. Our clinical rotation is a bit different than the first cohort. We do clinicals each week through SImucase and have a debriefing on the cases each week. You have to get a 90% on each case. This is the format for the first 2 semesters. Each semester is 15 weeks.

For the subsequent semesters, we will have onsite clinicals. USA will find you a placement. They will ask you for suggestions and then they take if from there. You dont have to find your placements.

This format allows for the student clinicians to be better prepared for clinicals.  Hope that helps.

Edited by CaidanFire

Hi everyone, congratulations to all of you who have been accepted into the program—how exciting!! I just discovered this program last week, as I’m in the very-beginning stages of getting back on track to becoming an SLP. “Life” happened after I completed undergrad studies at LSU in 2012 and my two sons are finally old enough to where it’s possible for me to properly focus on earning my Masters. I’m still studying for my first GRE which I’ll take at the end of July and I hope to apply for the Spring 2020 since the deadline for applications is October 1st.

Is anyone here going to be attending the Open House at the Austin campus this Thursday? Current students, are there any specific professors, students, or administrators you know of that I should make it a point to meet during my visit?

I feel beyond-nervous that my 3.2 GPA from the BA I earned almost 8 years ago won’t be very competitive compared to those with higher GPAs from degrees earned within the past 5 years. I’m trying to remain positive and open to the option of retaking courses if needed though. Is anyone else in a similar situation as me? 

Just wanted to let you guys know that, although it is not reflected on their website, tuition at this time is now about 64k. Hopefully they update it soon to show this change because tuition prices are such an important factor in student decisions.

@CaidanFireI did want to ask, what are some cons you have seen about the program? I feel like I have only heard positive things. I know it's a new program and it's still evolving. Also have you completed an externship yet? How has it been? I have heard that they require a pediatric one, school one and hospital one. Do you get to decide the order on that?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I'm brand new to grad cafe but USA is one of my top choices for grad school. It has been so helpful reading through everyone's questions and answers. I haven't taken the GRE yet but I'm planning to early this fall. How long does it take for GRE scores to be available and ready to send to schools? I read on someone's post that the deadline for Spring 2020 is October 21. If I take the GRE this fall, will my scores be available by the deadline?

Thanks so much!!

On 6/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, SarahSLP2B said:

Hey everyone! I'm brand new to grad cafe but USA is one of my top choices for grad school. It has been so helpful reading through everyone's questions and answers. I haven't taken the GRE yet but I'm planning to early this fall. How long does it take for GRE scores to be available and ready to send to schools? I read on someone's post that the deadline for Spring 2020 is October 21. If I take the GRE this fall, will my scores be available by the deadline?

Thanks so much!!

The last time I took the GRE, it took about 15 days for the results to be available for me to view and I believe they sent them off close to the same time I saw them. If your deadline October, I would probably take it by the end of September so that there’s enough time for the score to be sent to the school! 

Edited by MH13
Spelling error

Hi! I summited my application back in December. The admission advisor told me my application went through back in early April. I was invited to interview on June 7th. The interview went well, there were about 9 people that attended. I emailed the advisor 3 weeks ago (2 weeks after the interview). She told me that my application was still under reviewed. Then yesterday, she called me and told me that the Austin campus was full and that the admission committee thought I would be a good fit for the Dallas campus. However, they are still not sure if the Dallas campus will open next month. I told her to withdraw my application since I had already been accepted to Baylor and Emerson. Did anyone have a similar experience? 

8 hours ago, mibeldon said:

Hi! I summited my application back in December. The admission advisor told me my application went through back in early April. I was invited to interview on June 7th. The interview went well, there were about 9 people that attended. I emailed the advisor 3 weeks ago (2 weeks after the interview). She told me that my application was still under reviewed. Then yesterday, she called me and told me that the Austin campus was full and that the admission committee thought I would be a good fit for the Dallas campus. However, they are still not sure if the Dallas campus will open next month. I told her to withdraw my application since I had already been accepted to Baylor and Emerson. Did anyone have a similar experience? 

Wow, that's interesting. i'm glad that you have other options. Which school are you going to choose?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very interested in St. Augustine's program. However, I am a little confused as to which campus to select on my CSDCAS application. Dallas vs. Austin. If one program is full, do they automatically place you in the other campuses program? I'm just curious as to if it really matters which one you choose.

Hey Everyone,

I got an interview for USA Austin and 2 weeks later an acceptance letter. My interview was through skype. I am still trying to decide what graduate school to attend since I was accepted to multiple, I am just waiting for scholarships and financial aid packages to post before making my final decision.

Anyways, just wanted to let everyone know that USA is pretty awesome. My undergrad stats are: Overall GPA 3.5...CDS 3.89 ...GRE 289, I think my personal statement, rec. letters and affiliations/volunteer hours helped me get accepted everywhere I applied to. 

6 minutes ago, bm34384 said:

I emailed the academic supervisor but they're still waiting to hear back. It should be any day now though... 

Thanks for the info. I didn't even interview so I'm not really holding my breath for this. Kind of a bummer bc I've heard it was a good program.

Hey everyone. It is frustrating but USA fully plans to open the Dallas campus. The process is involved and sometimes out of their hands. They do have a very good program in Austin and expect that Dallas will follow suit. 

The program in Austin is on target to recieve full acreditation within 3 years (though they are given 5). 

Im not officially associated with USA other than I'm a student in their second cohort.

Hope that sets some worries at ease.