Guest Fraya_Tormenta

Princeton, NJ

4 hours ago, somewhatslightlydazed said:

Bumping this up for 2019 :) I'll likely be starting Princeton next year (a 2-year MPA through the Wilson School). This thread has been really helpful for giving me a sense of the Princeton community!

I was curious, is it still the case that non-married incoming students have almost no shot at getting a studio or 1-bedroom? I'm coming from DC so the idea of paying $900-1400 to have my own place is super exciting. If I don't have a chance at my own place, I'll probably try to reach out to potential roommates to share a 2 or 3-bedroom because the idea of going back to dorm living is not at all appealing to me.

I'm not sure if your question is related to campus housing or regular apartment hunting, but if it's regular apartment hunting, the price of a 1-bedroom is about $1200-1600, possibly a little less if you go further out. Also, I peeked through a few of the messages and while Princeton is kind of a sleepy town, there is plenty to do. The university has an art museum on campus and there are a bunch of great restaurants. Grounds for Sculpture is a few minutes from there too, which is also pretty cool. I've lived about 30 minutes away from Princeton most of my life (the rest was spent living in NYC), and I was kind of surprised by the comments that there isn't much to do. Many people from the surrounding area will go there for events and stuff, same as they do to NYC. 

On 3/21/2019 at 8:40 PM, PsyDGrad90 said:

I'm not sure if your question is related to campus housing or regular apartment hunting, but if it's regular apartment hunting, the price of a 1-bedroom is about $1200-1600, possibly a little less if you go further out. Also, I peeked through a few of the messages and while Princeton is kind of a sleepy town, there is plenty to do. The university has an art museum on campus and there are a bunch of great restaurants. Grounds for Sculpture is a few minutes from there too, which is also pretty cool. I've lived about 30 minutes away from Princeton most of my life (the rest was spent living in NYC), and I was kind of surprised by the comments that there isn't much to do. Many people from the surrounding area will go there for events and stuff, same as they do to NYC. 

Good to know, thanks! I was particularly curious about on-campus housing (which seems cheaper than the off-campus housing options) because I'd love to be close to other grad students, plus having the school as a landlord is just really convenient. But it's good to know that there are affordable off-campus options and that you think there's enough to do in town! I'm a bit hesitant about living in suburbia (the other option I'm considering is in Cambridge so more of an urban setting, but they gave me less aid so it's hard to justify), so it's nice to hear that you think it's a cool place to be.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:08 PM, somewhatslightlydazed said:

Bumping this up for 2019 :) I'll likely be starting Princeton next year (a 2-year MPA through the Wilson School). This thread has been really helpful for giving me a sense of the Princeton community!

I was curious, is it still the case that non-married incoming students have almost no shot at getting a studio or 1-bedroom? I'm coming from DC so the idea of paying $900-1400 to have my own place is super exciting. If I don't have a chance at my own place, I'll probably try to reach out to potential roommates to share a 2 or 3-bedroom because the idea of going back to dorm living is not at all appealing to me.

Glad to see you're leaning Princeton/WWS :)

I'd love to hear from anyone familiar with Princeton how pet-friendly it is? I'll be bringing my two dogs along, so trying to get a sense of what that would look like.

On 4/3/2019 at 10:11 AM, PaoloC said:

Glad to see you're leaning Princeton/WWS :)

I'd love to hear from anyone familiar with Princeton how pet-friendly it is? I'll be bringing my two dogs along, so trying to get a sense of what that would look like.

Hey there! I will move to Princeton for my PhD and planning to bring my dog. I am worried that I will not get pet-friendly graduate housing which would be amazing. As I am in Europe, I cannot visit other housing options... do you already know where you will be staying?

On 5/4/2019 at 7:35 PM, samaasl said:

Hey there! I will move to Princeton for my PhD and planning to bring my dog. I am worried that I will not get pet-friendly graduate housing which would be amazing. As I am in Europe, I cannot visit other housing options... do you already know where you will be staying?

I'm in EXACTLY your same situation, and panicking mildly about what I'd have to do if pet-friendly graduate housing wasn't available! I started scouting around for accommodation elsewhere as a backup, but it's really hard as an international student.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PaoloC said:

I'm in EXACTLY your same situation, and panicking mildly about what I'd have to do if pet-friendly graduate housing wasn't available! I started scouting around for accommodation elsewhere as a backup, but it's really hard as an international student.

I didn't realize you were an international student as well.

I am panicking, too. In addition, if I do get graduate housing, I would have to move in the same day when I arrive. How does that work without furniture and a dog who has just travelled 8+ hours? And I will need a check for the deposit, so I will have to pass by the bank to open an account first? I am making myself half crazy about it.

I have started checking in Trenton, simply because Princeton is very expensive and a lot of the options with roommates do not accommodate dogs, but so far no answer. I can just pray and hope that I will get the pet-friendly option. If I don't, I think I will try to move earlier without the dog and find a solution on the ground before getting her, but that will be very expensive. Oh man. When you thought the hard process was over :D

EDIT: maybe we should stay in contact and meet up with our dogs :)

Edited by samaasl

Has anyone gotten a result on graduate housing yet? The incoming students page says "Housing offers are being issued on a rolling basis over the next few weeks to all on time applicants." The wait is driving me bonkers.