Applying master without GRE scores

russianvalvet

Question

I am applying for master degree at cornell cals for graduate student assistantship. They required directly contact to professor first then, I will be eligible to apply for their program.

In announcement, it said: 

Applicant should have a record of outstanding academic performance(eg. >3.5 GPA), strong GRE scores (75th percentiles), and other related experince.

I don't have GRE scores but, I am going to give it a try since I think I have strong academic experineces. My GPA is 3.29, but I think my other related experinces is valuable.

-> Should I indicate in the email that I don't have GRE scores or not? 

-> Also, should I attach in the email of extra letter for low cum.GPA explanation letter?

Plz,,give me an advice.. Thanks all!

1 answer to this question

First things first: Congratulations on your decision to pursue a Master's degree! Taking the first step is always the hardest part.

Based on your other posts, I understand that you're interested in a Natural Resources MA/MS.

I found some of the information you were referring to here:  https://dnr.cals.cornell.edu/graduate/field-assistantship-opportunities

Qualifications:  B.S. (M.S. for those seeking a PhD.).  The successful applicant will have a strong background in some combination of rural sociology, energy development, environmental psychology and/or political science (experience in all three areas is not necessary).  Applicants should have a record of outstanding academic performance (e.g. >3.5 GPA), strong GRE scores (>75th percentiles), and comfort with working in rural communities.

From the way this is worded, it sounds like the minimum requirements are a 3.5 GPA, 75th percentile GRE scores, and comfort working in rural communities. It doesn't sound like that specific position will consider anything below that. The page goes on to explain that the GRE score is only required of US applicants but does require proof of English fluency for international applicants. Have you taken TOEFL or IELTS? Were you planning on applying for this year or next? It says that applications are due today (April 15).