Fulbright 2019-2020

Chamkili

Salutations Fulbright Hopefuls!

The application cycle for this year is now open and most, if not all, of the applicants from last year's forum were already notified of their results. Congrats to last cycle's applicants because all of you are awesome!

Now, it's our turn to go on this journey! This is a great place to ask questions, understand the process, and just hang out. I look forward to hyperventil--I mean waiting with you all. 

Here's to hoping we make it! :D

This is my first time applying for the Fulbright so I'm learning as I go (kind of by lurking in previous years' forums). I'm applying for the ETA award, including the CLEA supplement, for India. I feel like there's a good chance since 25 awards were available last cycle. But, there were 80 for Japan (or was it Korea?)! So, the odds might be better if I applied to go there... I'm most likely going to stick with India though and work on my Hindi. What about you guys?

@Adelaide9216 You can apply to either France itself, or French speaking countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. You can even apply to Caribbean countries that speak French like Haiti. Below are the links to each region and the general requirements for the countries in that region. As long as you're still pursuing your doctorate's and don't already posses the degree, then you can apply. I hope this helps! 

Sub-Saharan countries: https://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedregion/23

Western Hemisphere (Caribbean) countries: https://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedregion/18

France: https://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedcountry/france

@Adelaide9216 Ah, I see. Well, not even residents are eligible to apply, only citizens. If you're a dual citizen that's a different story, but if you only have Canadian citizenship then I can only hope your country has research grant programs that they offer. I'm sorry to say that, unless I missed something, you can't take advantage of the Fulbright...:( 

i'm really considering applying but might go for a place that isn't very competitive. is it true that once you get one fullbright you'll never get another, it's just a one time thing? i'm getting my MFA and was thinking about going to an eastern European country (probably Moldova since someone posted on another forum that there are 0 applicants as of now)  to study jewish resistance during the Holocaust and Bundism. is this stupid (am i stupid)?

18 hours ago, Jjjuliannn said:

i'm really considering applying but might go for a place that isn't very competitive. is it true that once you get one fullbright you'll never get another, it's just a one time thing? i'm getting my MFA and was thinking about going to an eastern European country (probably Moldova since someone posted on another forum that there are 0 applicants as of now)  to study jewish resistance during the Holocaust and Bundism. is this stupid (am i stupid)?

NO, YOU ARE NOT STUPID! It's a pretty smart strategy considering it would essentially guarantee you admission (assuming they don't decide to reallocate funds to a different area). If Bundism and eastern Europe is where your heart is and there's a huge chance of you making it over there with virtually no competition, go for it! I'm not sure about the award being a one time thing. From what I've read, it's a combination of factors including varying priorities, funding for that year, and the applicant pool among other things.

4 hours ago, Chamkili said:

NO, YOU ARE NOT STUPID! It's a pretty smart strategy considering it would essentially guarantee you admission (assuming they don't decide to reallocate funds to a different area). If Bundism and eastern Europe is where your heart is and there's a huge chance of you making it over there with virtually no competition, go for it! I'm not sure about the award being a one time thing. From what I've read, it's a combination of factors including varying priorities, funding for that year, and the applicant pool among other things.

i wouldn't say EE is where my hear it but i've never traveled and I admittedly wanted the easiest acceptance. oy!

@Jjjuliannn Honestly, I don't blame you. Just make sure that you still make a compelling case for funding besides that reason. I was looking at the statistics page and, even when only one person applied to Timor-Leste, it still said "0 awards granted". Watching the webinars really helps. I missed the first one for this cycle but there's one on April 23. You should check it out.

8 hours ago, capitan_grad said:

Hopeful ETA for 2019-2020 here...Does anyone know where we can find updated award statistics for the ETA programs by country? Seems like the Fulbright website has yet to update the listed data on their "statistics" page. Thanks in advance!

Other than going through last year's forum and creating a spreadsheet based off of everyone's posts (which I know the Borens did, but I don't think last year's Fulbrighters did), I'm not really sure where else to find any statistics. I'll just wait until they update it, hopefully a month from now.

Edited by Chamkili

17 hours ago, Chamkili said:

Other than going through last year's forum and creating a spreadsheet based off of everyone's posts (which I know the Borens did, but I don't think last year's Fulbrighters did), I'm not really sure where else to find any statistics. I'll just wait until they update it, hopefully a month from now.

Cheers! Looks like I'll be playing the waiting game.

Edited by capitan_grad

19 hours ago, Chamkili said:

@Jjjuliannn Honestly, I don't blame you. Just make sure that you still make a compelling case for funding besides that reason. I was looking at the statistics page and, even when only one person applied to Timor-Leste, it still said "0 awards granted". Watching the webinars really helps. I missed the first one for this cycle but there's one on April 23. You should check it out.

oh yes i would never ever say "i'm applying just to go!" that would be rude lol. where can i access the webinar?

youve been so helpful thank you so much!! 

On 4/23/2018 at 8:57 AM, Jjjuliannn said:

oh yes i would never ever say "i'm applying just to go!" that would be rude lol. where can i access the webinar?

youve been so helpful thank you so much!! 

Check out this link. It has information about the webinars. 

On 4/28/2018 at 12:52 PM, catsbloom said:

Check out this link. It has information about the webinars. 

thanks so much!!! sent an email about applying and getting some information but i haven't gotten any reply so! idk. i also spelled fulbright wrong so RIP for me 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Hopeful ETA Fulbright here. Aiming for Czechia. Already nervous, and just beginning the application to apply- wow! After applying and waiting for Grad school news a few years ago I kind of can't believe I'm about to do this again.

Good luck to everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm a research finalist to Nigeria. I've applied to the Fulbright for 3 years in a row and didn't make it to the semi-finalist round the first two times, but I finally won this year! ?I've spent countless hours stalking this forum pages these past few years, so I just wanted to give back and send a S/O to all the new applicants, and HUGE S/O to the repeat applicants! You got this! 

I wanted to give back and share some advice I learned over the last few years, I polled a couple other recipients and we wrote a blog post about some advice we wish we knew- be sure to also check back in a month or so, as I'm still getting a few people to add their advice to it as well. 

This post is also pretty cool if you want some general motivation to just apply. 

Feel free to contact me on the contact section of my blog if you have any questions for me. I've asked so many virtual strangers questions these past few years, so it's only fair that I give back ? Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! Just a friendly note that I spoke with my FPA this morning.

Ireland applicants: do not apply for the open-research award unless your host institution (if not listed on list of affiliates already) can pay $10,000 to the Fulbright program for you to come. Irish commission has no money. I will not be re applying this year because of this.

Hello all! I just made an account specifically for this forum. I am applying for an ETA this year and am very nervous/excited. I was curious if anyone knew what the language evaluation entailed so I could prep my language skills? For reference, I will be evaluated on Arabic. Any help is appreciated, Thank you!