Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
American in Beijing

Withdrawing an Application

Recommended Posts

I've recently been informally notified of a rejection from Columbia. However, I have yet to be officially notified. In the meantime, I've decided to attend another school and I've been told that normally in such situations you should withdraw your other applications. Since I haven't been officially notified yet, should I still withdraw my application?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Although this is an awesome strategy - apply to crappy state uni (not implying anything here!) + Harvard, be accepted at crappy state uni, be informally told by Harvard you're rejected, then withdraw your application and brag to all your friends that you "are so elated to go to crappy state uni cos it perfect fit + you love the brutalism architecture that obviously you withdrew your Harvard application - only morons go there anyway".

sD., regretting he didn't apply to Harvard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Although this is an awesome strategy - apply to crappy state uni (not implying anything here!) + Harvard, be accepted at crappy state uni, be informally told by Harvard you're rejected, then withdraw your application and brag to all your friends that you "are so elated to go to crappy state uni cos it perfect fit + you love the brutalism architecture that obviously you withdrew your Harvard application - only morons go there anyway".

sD., regretting he didn't apply to Harvard.

Lol, no no no. I didn't mean it like that! It's just that my field is rather small, so I'll probably be seeing these people at conferences and whatever. I didn't want to magically end up on some wait list of some sort and then have to tell them "oh, I accepted this other offer long ago . . . sorry about that . . . " Although I also don't want to look like I'm saying "Well! I'm too good for you! I'm going to withdraw my application before you reject me!" either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wait until you receive an offer from them and immediately reject it so they can go with (presumably) one of their backups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.