2019 Graduate Entrants

quineonthevine

On 5/22/2018 at 6:44 PM, _deat said:

Hey all,

I'll be reapplying to several PhD programs this coming fall.  I graduated with an MA back in 2013 and have somehow been able to keep afloat as an adjunct full time.  My interests are in continental philosophy at large with a particular focus on the philosophy of art, aesthetics, ethics, and phenomenology.  I'm not too sure what my writing sample will be, but I'll be hopefully auditing a course this coming fall and hope to produce something that will be workable for the application.  I have a fairly extensive list of programs that interest me, but some of the top schools include UC Berkley's program in rhetoric, Stony Brook, New School, Boston College amongst many others.

While I'm not excited about the application process I am happy to be going through it with others-- here's to getting to know everyone better as we do this together!  

Hey _deat (and anyone else interested), 
I attended Boston College's MA program quite recently, if anyone has any questions about the program/community/etc.

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to several continental-oriented programs. My primary interests are ancient philosophy (Plato, Pre-Socratics) and contemporary continental philosophy (Aesthetics, Political Philosophy). I hold two MAs (Philosophy & Humanities) and I work as an adjunct full-time. My writing samples are on delimiting historical periods in aesthetics and a reading of Aristotle's Parva Naturalia. After a couple rounds of applications (that ended in MA programs), I've got a pretty narrow list of places I'm applying to. (Stony Brook, DePaul, Western, etc.)

I've finished all my applications at this point. While I'm not looking forward to the worst part of the process (waiting for rejections to flood in) I'm willing to pass some of the time by addressing any questions anyone might have about Boston College or UChicago's MAPH program.

9 hours ago, Kantattheairport said:

Love watching the clock tick and wondering whether my remaining letter of rec will get in on time. ?

I had one letter writer get 4 (out of 18) in to the admissions committee late. Late by days, not hours.

He actually forgot to get a letter entirely for one of my colleagues.

This might be a dumb question. But, does anybody know whether it’s possible to apply for MA program but you already have a MA? I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this but thought I’d ask just in case someone has heard of something? 

I'm pretty sure you can if you explain in the statement of purpose why you want to pursue a second MA if you already have one. I personally know people who have two MA. Though my guess will be is that it is hard to find a funded MA when you are doing it second time over.

It's usually fine to get a second MA as long as it's in a different field. So moving from an English or a theology MA to one in philosophy wouldn't pose any problems. However, it's typically not permitted to earn a second MA in the same field. So if you already have a philosophy MA, they wouldn't admit you to get another one.

13 hours ago, smusab said:

This might be a dumb question. But, does anybody know whether it’s possible to apply for MA program but you already have a MA? I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this but thought I’d ask just in case someone has heard of something? 

It's not unheard of to get a two-year MA (e.g. in an American program) after getting a one-year MA (say at a UK or other European school).

Edited by hector549

On 6/3/2018 at 4:04 PM, xinnabon said:

Hi!

Unlike most of you, I have too many possible AOIs. I want to say it's because I didn't take enough classes as an undergraduate, but 10 philosophy classes later and I'm still not sure.

Probably going to be centered around Epist, though. Also into Mathematical Logic, given what little I know of it. I'm also not sure how much of this is just because of an undergraduate focus, but history of modern philosophy has been super fun for me.

Have taken the GREs - 170Q/167V/5.0AW. Writing sample on evo debunking arguments. Currently on second draft.

My list is 25 schools long, which is overkill, and since I've given myself two years(while working) to apply, I might apply to a more selective list for the first round and then reapply next year. Does anyone know any advice international applicants with degrees from American Schools should worry about?

Hey Xinnabon,

Let me put in a plug for Fordham (where I am currently). We have two respected analytic epistemologists who get tons of research money (Stephen Grimm, Nathan Ballantyne). We also hosted the New York - China epistemology conference this year, which brought together epistemologists from China and the US (e.g., Ernest Sosa, Jane Friedman, Nicholas Silins, Selim Berker, Miriam Schoenfield).

Despite what Leiter says about the pluralist label, I've found it to be fantastic. Pursuant to your other interest, for example, we have Lauren Kopajtic who did history of early modern at Harvard. You're encouraged, even required, to take a variety of courses before narrowing your focus; this can be helpful as you iron out what you thought you were interested in when you started. :) Also, if there's something not represented on our faculty (say, analytic phil of mind), we have agreements worked out with most of the other NYC programs to allow you to take their profs' seminars. Those profs can even become dissertation readers/advisors.

As for international worries, none come to mind, as long as there's no language barrier (which there obviously isn't in your case).

On 12/16/2018 at 7:08 PM, SmugSnugInARug said:

Hey _deat (and anyone else interested), 
I attended Boston College's MA program quite recently, if anyone has any questions about the program/community/etc.

How is the program? I’ve been vacillating between applying or not.. is it a good program to do philosophy of science or mind? 

Anyone having difficulty with USC recommendations? I just got a very irate email from one of my recommenders who has spent the last two days making no headway with uploading the recommendation. 

5 hours ago, Scoots said:

Anyone having difficulty with USC recommendations? I just got a very irate email from one of my recommenders who has spent the last two days making no headway with uploading the recommendation. 

Either this is you, or someone else has the same problem: https://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2018/12/university-of-southern-california-has-the-worst-on-line-system-in-the-anglophone-world.html

For what it's worth, I didn't have trouble with the system, but I also used Interfolio, so the professors didn't interact with it.

Edited by mithrandir8

Applying for a phil physics slot (hopefully we’re rare this season). Writing sample is on the recent effective realism literature from Williams, Fraser, and Ruetsche. Top programs: Michigan, USC, UC Irvine, Pitt, Princeton, but applying to quite a few. 

Was accepted to all the funded MA programs I applied to (~11), and am about to finish up the one I enrolled in. Still pretty worried about the results, but good luck to us all!

Edited by Litgenstein

On 12/28/2018 at 4:40 PM, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

Hey Xinnabon,

Let me put in a plug for Fordham (where I am currently). We have two respected analytic epistemologists who get tons of research money (Stephen Grimm, Nathan Ballantyne). We also hosted the New York - China epistemology conference this year, which brought together epistemologists from China and the US (e.g., Ernest Sosa, Jane Friedman, Nicholas Silins, Selim Berker, Miriam Schoenfield).

Despite what Leiter says about the pluralist label, I've found it to be fantastic. Pursuant to your other interest, for example, we have Lauren Kopajtic who did history of early modern at Harvard. You're encouraged, even required, to take a variety of courses before narrowing your focus; this can be helpful as you iron out what you thought you were interested in when you started. :) Also, if there's something not represented on our faculty (say, analytic phil of mind), we have agreements worked out with most of the other NYC programs to allow you to take their profs' seminars. Those profs can even become dissertation readers/advisors.

As for international worries, none come to mind, as long as there's no language barrier (which there obviously isn't in your case).

AHH I'm so sorry I just saw this! I have been pushing in submissions last minute and completely missed this. I'm probably applying again next year (only applied to my reaches this time), and thank you for the Fordham plug! 

On 12/16/2018 at 5:23 PM, SmugSnugInARug said:

I've finished all my applications at this point. While I'm not looking forward to the worst part of the process (waiting for rejections to flood in) I'm willing to pass some of the time by addressing any questions anyone might have about Boston College or UChicago's MAPH program.

If and when I get rejected for PhD and referred to MAPH, any hope at money? And any insight on how that money gets distributed?

5 hours ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

If and when I get rejected for PhD and referred to MAPH, any hope at money? And any insight on how that money gets distributed?

I saw last year's cycle, and they funded like 15% (perhaps slightly more or less, sometimes signifcantly less or nothing) of what came out to be 80-90,000 dollars total for a one-year masters that's not even strictly a masters in philosophy. It's a blatant cash grab. Of course some people complete the program and move on to decent PhD programs, but you can do that with better MAs.

Edited by Prose

10 hours ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

@Prose is correct. Do not go to the MAPH program. All they're trying to do by offering you admittance to MAPH is to flatter you with an acceptance to Chicago so that you become a cash cow for the university. Just for fun, I took a look at the MAPH program page. Total tuition is $58k. That's right. $58k, for a one-year MA program. Their estimated fees and expenses are an additional $30k. Take a look here. Oh yeah, and if you're thinking "maybe I'll get funding," think again. The most they give out is half-tuition funding (and I bet that that is rare!).That still leaves you with roughly a $60k bill instead of a $90k bill. Madness. At my MA, the TA workload is light, and I make enough from my stipend to pay for all my basic bills.

If that isn't enough to dissuade you, take a look at their placement page. See any problems? Their PhD "placement" for philosophy simply lists programs that some students have gotten into in the past. This is a huge red flag. Any MA program with decent placement will list all outcomes by year. Take a look here and here for examples of legitimate placement records.

If all that isn't enough to make you think twice, consider this--MAPH is a one-year program. That presents a distinct disadvantage to you if you're planning to apply to PhD programs. Before you even start the program, you'll have to begin the application process. If you're planning on getting letters from Chi professors, that'll prove difficult, since they will have known you only for a few months, and won't have really seen your work. Even if they agree to write you letters, it's not clear how they'd be substantive letters. Furthermore, you won't really have the support/time in a one-year MA to work on a writing sample. At my MA, there's quite a lot of support for us writing our samples, and time to get lots of feedback on them from faculty, since the program is two years.

Bottom line: there's absolutely no reason to go to an unfunded master's program in philosophy. There are plenty of funded, excellent programs out there. Start here if you haven't already. If you're worried about getting shut out, apply to more of the funded MA programs from the linked list. It's not too late, as many of them have later deadlines than PhD programs (e.g., Western Michigan and U. of Houston both have Feb. 15 application deadlines).

In case you haven't guessed, I have a huge problem with unfunded MA programs in philosophy. Chicago isn't the only offender here. NYU has a similar cash cow MA program in bioethics, and Columbia has an unfunded philosophy MA as well. These universities use their name recognition to get students to pay exorbitant amounts for a degree that will likely do very little from them. Don't be blinded by the Chicago name. MA programs like Georgia State, W. Michigan, Northern Illinois, etc. are much more prestigious within academic philosophy, and much more serious with respect to making you better at philosophy than MAPH despite being part of otherwise quite modest regional public universities.

Edited by hector549

I appreciate the replies, and its exactly why I was asking. I suspect the tuition paid by MAPH students is a subsidy for PhD students and I consider taking on substantial debt for an MA to be financial suicide, unless somehow the placement record was so good that it was practically a guarantee of admission to a top program. The only MAs I bothered applying to are funded and have good track records of placement. 

I only bothered asking in the first place because I've read multiple accounts of people who thought the program was worth it for them and I want to square how that might be possible given the staggering price. The only way that makes sense to me is if they were attending at heavy discount or if they were attending with a big fat savings account. 

9 hours ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

I appreciate the replies, and its exactly why I was asking. I suspect the tuition paid by MAPH students is a subsidy for PhD students and I consider taking on substantial debt for an MA to be financial suicide, unless somehow the placement record was so good that it was practically a guarantee of admission to a top program. The only MAs I bothered applying to are funded and have good track records of placement. 

I only bothered asking in the first place because I've read multiple accounts of people who thought the program was worth it for them and I want to square how that might be possible given the staggering price. The only way that makes sense to me is if they were attending at heavy discount or if they were attending with a big fat savings account. 

Just as a side note: if you can help it do NOT take any debt for an MA or PhD in philosophy. It is simply not worth it. I'm currently an adjunct and it pays shit. I have friends who are teaching 6-7 classes (adjuncts) to make ends meet. I can't imagine having a loan payment on an adjunct salary. And full time professors aren't dong any better. With the exception of some top programs which are really well funded but getting a job there is virtually impossible.

Hi Everybody,

My primary interest is metaethics, and especially some issues about the relationship between moral psychology and moral metaphysics (specifically, the relationship between the two).  I also really like early modern philosophy, and I've pursued in-depth work on Locke and Leibniz through an undergraduate research award and a reading course.

I'm also applying to a bunch of schools for mathematical biology (I have two degrees, Hons Biology and Mathematics, and Philosophy).  I generally have felt more inclined to philosophy, but recently that has changed and I'm more comfortable with the idea of myself as a mathematical biologist - I ended up applying to far fewer philosophy schools than I planned.

9 hours ago, xinnabon said:

6/9 done, all close to the deadline because I am biding my time with the Statement of Purpose (read: getting distracted reading papers of faculty in an *effort* to figure out where my fit is). 

That was the most mind-meltingly tedious part of the application process for me. Just pouring in so much time tracking CVs, scanning papers, only to say "I want to work with X because they work with Y and this is interesting to me."