2019 Graduate Entrants

quineonthevine

On 12/30/2018 at 10:11 AM, smusab said:

How is the program? I’ve been vacillating between applying or not.. is it a good program to do philosophy of science or mind? 

*insert obligatory remark about unfunded MAs* It is very heavily oriented towards the history of philosophy and phenomenology. If you are interested in philosophy of mind work connected to either Husserlian phenomenology or more historical work, it would be a strong choice. There are also a few (and ever increasing) analytically-oriented professors who do that kind of work. Re: philosophy of science, I don't know anybody there who does it. Science is not BC's focus.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:23 AM, SexandtheHaecceity said:

If and when I get rejected for PhD and referred to MAPH, any hope at money? And any insight on how that money gets distributed?

I don't have a whole lot of insight into it, other than that it has a well deserved reputation for the need to be self-funded. However, I know that there are people working diligently to try to transform this aspect of the program. As to hold long this will take to be successful, only time will tell.

On 12/19/2018 at 4:17 PM, Kantattheairport said:

Love watching the clock tick and wondering whether my remaining letter of rec will get in on time. ?

One of my recommenders is torturing me by sending every recommendation within an hour of the respective deadline.

14 hours ago, Scoots said:

One of my recommenders is torturing me by sending every recommendation within an hour of the respective deadline.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I had one professor who was tardy by a weekend a couple times and I haven't had any problems that schools have cared to share with me. I think they realize that is the one thing you don't have control over so there's no sense in punishing you for it. Maybe just ping your prof with a friendly reminder the day after if they don't get it in. 

19 hours ago, Scoots said:

To clarify, is this within hours of the deadline for you to submit your application? If so, don't worry. :) My recommenders have been... significantly later than that, the application still goes through.

2 hours ago, philosopuppy said:

2 of 4 in! I see I have some MA buddies :)

Good to see someone else with an interest in the non-Western end of things! :)

On 1/11/2019 at 3:31 AM, Kantattheairport said:

Mainly South Asian and Chinese for me so far, though I'm quite interested in continuing to expand! How about you?

I’m interested in Japanese philosophy (mainly Nishida) and Chinese philosophy (mainly Zhuangzi)! I’ve also studied some Indian Buddhist metaphysics, but only at an introductory level. 

1 hour ago, Scoots said:

I’m interested in Japanese philosophy (mainly Nishida) and Chinese philosophy (mainly Zhuangzi)! I’ve also studied some Indian Buddhist metaphysics, but only at an introductory level. 

Ah, I've been meaning to get myself more acquainted with Nishida and the Kyoto School for a while now! I only know very very broadly what the shape of their approach was, and it seems super interesting - perhaps I'll find some time in the next couple months to read some introductory articles. (Though of course there's a whole backlog of things that I wanted to read and put off while doing these applications!)

Memphis sent me another autogenerated email they don't have my GRE score. I've emailed them twice over the last month and received no response. I called them two weeks ago and the woman said they had my score. And now I'm getting another email saying it's absent. Getting annoyed because I didn't see it until 20 mins after close of business on Friday. 

7 hours ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

BTW, I haven't seen this posted here but somebody made a pretty convenient way to search through GC's historical survey data. Nice way to anxiously kill time looking at decision dates and numbers while I wait. 

https://fretpwner.shinyapps.io/GradCafeStatistics/

Whoa, pretty cool, thank for sharing!

On 1/22/2019 at 8:07 AM, xinnabon said:

Putting the cart about 70 kilometres before the horse here...

but I'll be flying internationally, and I'd like to plan a 2 week trip to the US to visit family/schools if possible. When is a good time for that? I was thinking late March-early April ish.

That's probably a good time to be in the US in case you get in, yeah!

5 hours ago, Prose said:

1) why dont you email them

2) you havent gotten in anywhere

1) cart before horse as is already with asking this here. 

2) good thing I have family in the US I can cry to if I don't end up going anywhere!

4 hours ago, The_Last_Thylacine said:

Now that's confidence! 

Ah I'm sorry if I sounded like I was actually banking on visit budgets! I was just asking out of curiosity to fuel the daydreams I've been trying not to entertain. 

Long time lurker; first time poster. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.95 (from a Phil MA program); Undergrad Phil GPA: 3.89

AOI: Virtue epistemology, moral psychology, philosophy of emotions, character traits, virtue theory, Kierkegaard. 

GRE: Abysmal scores. I didn't study for the test. I took it cold. 

Applied (10): UConn Storrs, U of Virginia, Notre Dame, WashU/WUSTL, St. Louis University, Northwestern, U of Miami, UC Boulder, Georgetown, and UMass Amherst. 

9 hours ago, xinnabon said:

Thanks friend! Now to plan my very expensive and environmentally painful trip... Does anyone know if visit budgets also cover accommodation? 

Ftr I don't think it's a presumtuous thing to plan ahead, especially if you have family to visit anyway! :) On budgets, my understanding is that there's usually an x amount of funding that can be used for travel or lodging, such that if you've already flown in, they can subsidize travel to a city or your stay. But probably best to assume that it's a subsidy that doesn't cover everything

4 minutes ago, Anti-Climacus said:

Long time lurker; first time poster. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.95 (from a Phil MA program); Undergrad Phil GPA: 3.89

AOI: Virtue epistemology, moral psychology, philosophy of emotions, character traits, virtue theory, Kierkegaard. 

GRE: Abysmal scores. I didn't study for the test. I took it cold. 

Applied (10): UConn Storrs, U of Virginia, Notre Dame, Wash U St. Louis, St. Louis University, Northwestern, U of Miami, UC Boulder, Georgetown, and UMass Amherst. 

Welcome, and good luck! :)