12 hours ago, laura_0h said:

What is next week? Also still waiting on 2 schools and thinking about calling them Monday. Thoughts?

Not a bad idea! 

Next week is the final week for decisions. All programs have to hear back from the people they gave an offer to by the 15th or else they'll rescind that offer and start pulling people from the waitlist. Most candidates - myself included - have held onto offers until the last second, and everyone is going to relinquish them all this week since it's the final week to do so. 

Edited by OddIsEven

This is my first Ph.D. application round and got into 1 of 6 schools I applied to. I'm very pleased I even got an offer this time however, I am considering the pros and cons of reapplying in the next two years to be a more competitive applicant. 

The only reason why I'm leaning this route is that FIT's funding is not guaranteed; I'm still crunching numbers to see if taking out student loans are a plausible option for me. 

Question is for anyone who reapplied, what are some things that you did to improve your resume/transcript to be a more competitive candidate? 

Feel free to DM me, I'd be happy to share my credentials for reference. 

1 hour ago, kokocoffee said:

This is my first Ph.D. application round and got into 1 of 6 schools I applied to. I'm very pleased I even got an offer this time however, I am considering the pros and cons of reapplying in the next two years to be a more competitive applicant. 

The only reason why I'm leaning this route is that FIT's funding is not guaranteed; I'm still crunching numbers to see if taking out student loans are a plausible option for me. 

Question is for anyone who reapplied, what are some things that you did to improve your resume/transcript to be a more competitive candidate? 

Feel free to DM me, I'd be happy to share my credentials for reference. 

Hi,

This is my second round but in theory, I did worse this round (only 1 acceptance) than last year (multiple) but I am much happier with the program I picked this year. So not sure how much help I can be but I will be worried about the funding situation at FIT. I can't speak about the program (though I had one teacher from the school) but a PHD is not worth going into major debt. 

8 hours ago, tryingtostayafloat said:

Hello!

Does anyone have ideas on how to thank your recommendors?

Each of my 3 recommendors submitted 11 letters each for me, so I feel like I need to do something more than just send a thank you email ?

I wrote them physical "thank-you" cards and put them in their department mailboxes. I tried to say more than just "thank you for writing me letters of rec", like I thanked them for everything else they've done for me during undergrad, what skills they've helped me with, etc. 

15 hours ago, tryingtostayafloat said:

Hello!

Each of my 3 recommendors submitted 11 letters each for me, so I feel like I need to do something more than just send a thank you email ?

I'm buying all of mine alcohol lol. I guess it depends on how close you are with them ?

16 hours ago, tryingtostayafloat said:

Hello!

I made mine cookies! Family recipe haha.

Well, ladies and gents, it was a crazy ride! This application process is a bitch. Fortunately, I won't be doing it again, I'm attending Florida Tech! The funding isn't ideal, but I'll just have to pop over to the beach and cry in my beer about it. ?

I wish you all the best. If you didn't get what you wanted this year, don't give up! You truly can do anything if you just keep working on it. 

Cheers!

7 hours ago, rmiller32 said:

Well, ladies and gents, it was a crazy ride! This application process is a bitch. Fortunately, I won't be doing it again, I'm attending Florida Tech! The funding isn't ideal, but I'll just have to pop over to the beach and cry in my beer about it. ?

I wish you all the best. If you didn't get what you wanted this year, don't give up! You truly can do anything if you just keep working on it. 

Cheers!

Congratulations! 

1 hour ago, BeckyPsych said:

Hey, does anyone know what happens if we still don't hear back from schools by tomorrow? Still haven't heard from some schools and wondering what to do..

The program should tell you by tomorrow if you are rejected or still on the waitlist. You can still be accepted after the 15th if the people in front of you decline.

1 hour ago, SpYEsther said:

Hey everyone! I'm still waiting for schools' responses, and wondering if anyone else was as well? Super stressed out here. 

Me too. I don't know what's taking so long but there are no changes on the portals and no mails or responses to mails from schools. Don't know if no news is good news but it's soooo stressful!

I am so happy and excited for everyone who has found their program this fall!

I will be attending NCSU (my top choice!!!). I didn't get accepted until this week. For everyone who is still in limbo, I'm sending positive vibes for good news your way.

Thank you all for keeping me a little more sane over the last few months. I wish you all the best in your next steps!!

33 minutes ago, Cronbachs Alpha said:

I am so happy and excited for everyone who has found their program this fall!

I will be attending NCSU (my top choice!!!). I didn't get accepted until this week. For everyone who is still in limbo, I'm sending positive vibes for good news your way.

Thank you all for keeping me a little more sane over the last few months. I wish you all the best in your next steps!!

Congrats I imagine the initial shock when you saw the email/phone call! 

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, thanks for your time! I'm applying for PhD programs in the upcoming cycle :)

So I have two questions that might come off as neurotic:

1. Is there a noticeable difference between a 3.89 and a 3.9 GPA in the admissions process? I only ask because I heard on another forum that many psychology admissions committees look for only a 3.9 and above. Please just humor me lol

2. I tried my hand at my school's graduate level statistics course and got a B+, rather than the A I was hoping for. Do you think this grade will hurt or help me in the admissions process?

16 hours ago, SammyIO said:

First of all, thanks for your time! I'm applying for PhD programs in the upcoming cycle :)

1. Is there a noticeable difference between a 3.89 and a 3.9 GPA in the admissions process? I only ask because I heard on another forum that many psychology admissions committees look for only a 3.9 and above. Please just humor me lol

2. I tried my hand at my school's graduate level statistics course and got a B+, rather than the A I was hoping for. Do you think this grade will hurt or help me in the admissions process?

The admissions process definitely relies on a number of factors beyond your grades! Don’t forget how important research or applied experience will be in the process.

Everyone will have a different journey and story, but I got into my top pick with a 3.5 GPA. Personally, I think you’re in a great spot with a 3.89.

And at least through my eyes, seeing that you attempted a grad level stats class shows initiative! 

On 5/10/2019 at 3:41 PM, SammyIO said:

Don't worry too much on those. A GPA that high will at least open the door to a lot of programs so they can see the rest of your profile.