Hi! 

I applied to GMU, UGA, GaTech, LSU, Rice, Portland State, and Maryland-College Park for I/O Psych (PhD). I also have/will apply to UCF, Clemson, Appalachian State, Hartford and New Haven for I/O Psych (Masters). I have not heard anything from my programs but I am expecting a rejection from LSU since I did get an invite to the weekend. I am just anxiously waiting but have lost my good feeling about this PhD cycle, so I am hoping to get into a Master program!

6 hours ago, Savannah_C said:

I also had an interview with LSU a couple weeks back! I thought it went pretty well, but I didn't make the interview weekend unfortunately. My POI is Dr. Williamson Smith, I really enjoyed speaking with her. 

I've applied to: BGSU, LSU, SLU, AUBURN, CLEMSON, IUPUI, PURDUE, NIU (Master's), UGA, Univ. Illinois Champaign-Urbana, Texas A&M. 

Has anyone else heard back from anywhere yet? 

Nothing on my end so far other than this week most of my schools were cool with me sending an updated CV  for my application so I guess that means those schools have not begun their official review yet.

And @HopingForOne  I applied to some schools you have too (George Mason/GT/Rice) and I think since they did not accept a new CV since they said it's been sent forward to faculty that they are far along in the process that interviews might come next week. Just a guess though.

Edited by Joegeo

2 minutes ago, HopingForOne said:

@Joegeo Oh cool, thanks for that guess! Just hearing that calmed my nerves down for a little bit. If I hear anything from those three programs, I will let ya know :) Where else did ya apply to, if I may ask? 

Ops I just realized I might have mistyped. George Mason admission told me that can't upload my new CV because my application was already sent to faculty review so I think they are at least further along in the process. Rice was cool with it. 

On your second point, I applied to GM/Rice/Saint Louis/USF/Penn State/Albany/Ohio/Colorado State/Georgia Tech. GM and Penn State are the only ones who directly told me that they can't update my CV on the app so I guess they are moving on the process of going through students. This year it seems a bit slower because when I applied last year Ohio offered me an interview on January 5th and still no word on anybody this year. 

@Joegeo Did you update information on your CV? But I bet that it won't hold you back for those two programs! And thanks for sharing where you applied, it is always neat to hear where others are trying to go. I wonder why they are slower this year...maybe more applicants? 

43 minutes ago, HopingForOne said:

@Joegeo Did you update information on your CV? But I bet that it won't hold you back for those two programs! And thanks for sharing where you applied, it is always neat to hear where others are trying to go. I wonder why they are slower this year...maybe more applicants? 

Thanks for the good thoughts! I added a teaching job I started recently to my resume/CV that will hopefully look good for the schools! Also edited some of my information about a poster presentation. 

In terms of slowness last year at this time I believe I had two interview requests (Tulsa/Ohio) and that was it. I got my first rejection on the 16th from Wayne State so it seems I/O psych is just a bit slower to do the work compared to clinical/counseling/Neuro. Last year I got two rejections from schools past April 15th. 

Edited by Joegeo

On 1/8/2019 at 5:20 PM, psychnerd92 said:

Has anyone heard from Texas A&M yet? From previous years it looks like they have their recruitment weekend early. The waiting is the hardest part haha, I'd love to hear from other I/O applicants! :)

I'm curious about this too! I've applied to 9 schools but TAMU one is my top choice, and I haven't heard anything. I can deal with rejection but not knowing is driving me crazy ?

Who would you guys suggest emailing to check your application status - the POI or the department admissions coordinator?

Edited by tryingtostayafloat

7 hours ago, tryingtostayafloat said:

I'm curious about this too! I've applied to 9 schools but TAMU one is my top choice, and I haven't heard anything. I can deal with rejection but not knowing is driving me crazy ?

Who would you guys suggest emailing to check your application status - the POI or the department admissions coordinator?

I will just say that when I applied to TAMU I got my rejection letter in May/June

8 hours ago, tryingtostayafloat said:

I applied last year and I would say I was middle of the pack. I applied to 8 schools and got accepted into 3, I was waitlisted at all of the others. I heard from one early January but didn't hear from the others until beginning of February. I would say that generally if you haven't been contacted by March for interviews then you have been waitlisted or rejected. IO does go slower than other psychology fields for grad school applications at some schools.

9 hours ago, Joegeo said:

I will just say that when I applied to TAMU I got my rejection letter in May/June

That's insane! Even more so considering that their application deadline is one of the earliest (Dec 1).

9 hours ago, makanmakan said:

I applied last year and I would say I was middle of the pack. I applied to 8 schools and got accepted into 3, I was waitlisted at all of the others. I heard from one early January but didn't hear from the others until beginning of February. I would say that generally if you haven't been contacted by March for interviews then you have been waitlisted or rejected. IO does go slower than other psychology fields for grad school applications at some schools.

Oh wow - 3 out of 8 is great. Congrats! And this gives me hope, thanks! I'll try to postpone freaking out to the end of Feb :) 

tryingtostayafloat - it looks like Texas A&M sent out all of their recruitment invites beginning of January, so If you didn't get one (myself included) then we are not first choice which means most likely a rejection possible waitlist but unlikely... :(

I've applied to 10, all PhDs in I/O, with only one interview thus far. Looking at the trends from previous years all the way back to 2009 usually first choice applicants are given interviews in late Jan. early Feb., and if you're on the waitlist it could drag on for many months. Everyone has their own opinion about contacting the department or POI to check on status, and I don't think either way is wrong, but personally I haven't and won't because my logic is "if they want you, they'll call/email". The anxiety is definitely hard, but that's why this page is so great to talk with other applicants and share in the stress :)

I'd love to see where other people have applied, and what made you choose I/O, let's kick 2019 application cycle off to a great start! What are your interests? Generally, mine are workplace safety/occupational health, so I only applied to programs whose advisors specialize in this area. I applied with a BS in Psych, and have been working in the I/O field for 4 years now.

I hope we all get some great news soon!

1 hour ago, psychnerd92 said:

tryingtostayafloat - it looks like Texas A&M sent out all of their recruitment invites beginning of January, so If you didn't get one (myself included) then we are not first choice which means most likely a rejection possible waitlist but unlikely... :(

I've applied to 10, all PhDs in I/O, with only one interview thus far. Looking at the trends from previous years all the way back to 2009 usually first choice applicants are given interviews in late Jan. early Feb., and if you're on the waitlist it could drag on for many months. Everyone has their own opinion about contacting the department or POI to check on status, and I don't think either way is wrong, but personally I haven't and won't because my logic is "if they want you, they'll call/email". The anxiety is definitely hard, but that's why this page is so great to talk with other applicants and share in the stress :)

I'd love to see where other people have applied, and what made you choose I/O, let's kick 2019 application cycle off to a great start! What are your interests? Generally, mine are workplace safety/occupational health, so I only applied to programs whose advisors specialize in this area. I applied with a BS in Psych, and have been working in the I/O field for 4 years now.

I hope we all get some great news soon!

I applied to 9 programs mostly for Work-Family conflicts. Since I have been accepted before but turning them down it's a weird feeling of knowing I can get in (and my resume/cv is improved from last year) but worried I might have blown my chance. It's not fun!

Joegeo - If you got into places last year then you are off to a great start already. I wouldn't stress out too much about turning down offers and re-applying, most professors don't take those things personally as they know there are several factors that come into play for applicants. 

I just got a phone call from my POI at Wayne State and he basically told me I was waitlisted but close to the top of the list. I haven’t heard from any other programs yet but I’m overly anxious and stressed out just thinking about the entire process right now?

1 hour ago, londonbnd said:

I just got a phone call from my POI at Wayne State and he basically told me I was waitlisted but close to the top of the list. I haven’t heard from any other programs yet but I’m overly anxious and stressed out just thinking about the entire process right now?

Congrats! From my experience being near the top of the waitlist means you have a good shot at getting admissions (Especially for non top 5) so I would not be too bummed out and will be sending good wishes!

P.S I did go to Baruch for my Masters if you want any tips/questions how the school is. 

On 1/14/2019 at 6:20 PM, Joegeo said:

Congrats! From my experience being near the top of the waitlist means you have a good shot at getting admissions (Especially for non top 5) so I would not be too bummed out and will be sending good wishes!

P.S I did go to Baruch for my Masters if you want any tips/questions how the school is. 

Thank you! That gives me slight release. I am about to DM you in regards to Baruch! 

It's pretty early (e.g., at George Mason we are still on winter break).

Definitely the calm before the storm...Here is a post I created last year:

I've scraped the results survey with R and attached some longitudinal data for I/O decisions. See the title of each page for the type of decision. I've attached it. As you can tell the sample size isn't so strong...so take it for what it's worth.

Takeaways:

• Jan 15th - Feb 15th seems like peak time for interviews
  • February is ride or die: 23rd - 28th prime for interviews but rejection is also high in Feb
  • Notice that the Accepted numbers are higher than the others, this may be due to self-selection
  • Wait-list....who knows

This is data from "I/O Psychology" results postings between 2006 and 2017. Not the highest of integrity I will say, but it gives more information than mere intuition. My guess is that you will know a lot more in the next 3 weeks...best of luck to everyone!

Grad Cafe Decisions IO.pdf

I've applied to the following schools for a Ph.D. in I-O: Purdue, Bowling Green, Penn State, USF, UCF, Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Albany. I'm interested in quantitative methods and research methods in I-O psychology and applied to schools with professors conducting research in these areas. 

My stats are:

GPA: 3.87 (4.0 for junior and senior; 4.0 for major)
GRE: 154 quant, 159 verbal, 4.5 writing (for Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Albany I applied with different GRE scores: 159 quant, 158 verbal, 4.0 writing) -- this is my weakest area :(
Research: 2 years in Social Psychology lab, 1 year in quantitative psychology lab, 6 months doing research in the research and institutional effectiveness department at a college.
Letters of rec: 2 writers were my professors and I worked in their research labs, 1 was a research supervisor.

2 poster presentations. I have also taken relevant I-O, research, and statistics courses. 

Still haven't heard back from any of the schools... Not feeling too hopeful due to my GRE scores, but will have to wait and see.

2 hours ago, hejsan said:

I've applied to the following schools for a Ph.D. in I-O: Purdue, Bowling Green, Penn State, USF, UCF, Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Albany. I'm interested in quantitative methods and research methods in I-O psychology and applied to schools with professors conducting research in these areas. 

My stats are:

GPA: 3.87 (4.0 for junior and senior; 4.0 for major)
GRE: 154 quant, 159 verbal, 4.5 writing (for Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Albany I applied with different GRE scores: 159 quant, 158 verbal, 4.0 writing) -- this is my weakest area :(
Research: 2 years in Social Psychology lab, 1 year in quantitative psychology lab, 6 months doing research in the research and institutional effectiveness department at a college.
Letters of rec: 2 writers were my professors and I worked in their research labs, 1 was a research supervisor.

2 poster presentations. I have also taken relevant I-O, research, and statistics courses. 

Still haven't heard back from any of the schools... Not feeling too hopeful due to my GRE scores, but will have to wait and see.

Hi I would not worry too much about the GRE. As long as it clears the benchmarks I don't think schools care too much. We have some schools in common (Penn State/USF/Albany) and I have not heard much back either. Your research experience is better than mine so I think that should be a plus for you. I think you have a good shot but I always found I/O to be a hard field to judge what a top candidate looks like. Since USF is such a top program it's hard to feel confident in getting in!

17 hours ago, azumarills said:

I'm really starting to get nervous now bcuz I haven't heard anything yet from any school. This is so stressful lol 

I also haven't heard anything from my programs so I relate to your stress and anxiety level!