11 minutes ago, londonbnd said:

What are some top questions you all have run into for IO interviews? 

From last year I remember these questions

Why apply to this program?

What is your main research interest?

What makes you want to work with the certain POI? (Depending on if that is how they do things)

What makes you a good fit for this program?

What in life as prepare you for this opportunity 

One might have asked me why they should pick me over other candidates. 

Best of Luck! If it helps most of my interviews were pretty chill. 

2 hours ago, londonbnd said:

What are some top questions you all have run into for IO interviews? 

Based on my subjective experience, most of my interviews (8) were more about my questions to them and less about their questions to me. I don't recall ever being asked an achievement-related question (e.g., define an eigen value?), so most of the questions don't have right answers- remember that. I don't know if anyone else can echo this, but make sure you prepare very good questions. Here are some examples:

For current students: What would you improve about your program? What class was a waste of time? What are 3 things your adviser can do better? If you had to punish someone deeply, what professor would you handcuff them to?  How much time have you spend off-campus with those in your cohort? How much of your weekend is spent doing work? My favorite: If all of the faculty participated in the Amazing Race with a clone of a generic student, who would you put your money on? Who would drop out?

For faculty: What are three adjectives your students would use to describe you? What is a unique skill you offer that the other faculty do not? If you could add a course from the core-curriculum, which would you pick? In your opinion what proportion of a PhD student's time should be spent in the following areas: Assistantship, Coursework, Research, Personal Life? From your perspective what is the biggest social challenge? emotional challenge? and financial challenge? a student faces in grad school. What was something critical that you learned from YOUR advisor? In an ideal world, how would your time be portioned between teaching, research, and your personal life?

So update to my situation. I got word from the head of the I/O program at Albany and she told me it is the first time this has happened. She told me they never accept people before they get funding but they were impressed by my application so I can consider myself "accepted" but they don't know if they can fund me or who my advisor will even be.

What a weird situation all around.

Thanks everyone for the advice on interview questions!! 

On another note, has anyone heard from Michigan State’s Organizational Psych PhD program? I don’t see anything posted in results but they typically sent out notifications early January the past few years.

Hello all! Longtime lurker finally jumping into the conversation. :)

@psychnerd92 I have not heard anything from USF either.

Has anyone heard anything from NCSU? I saw one person notify of their acceptance a couple of weeks ago. No one else has posted and my application status hasn't been updated.

2 hours ago, Joegeo said:

It's odd either a lot of I/O psych programs are taking their time this year or worse they have sent out their interviews/acceptances and those people just don't post here ?

It's getting kind of crazy! I'm hoping the fact that I haven't heard a rejection from anywhere yet is a good sign? Do schools normally send mass rejections out way past the time they send interview invites out?

2 hours ago, azumarills said:

It's getting kind of crazy! I'm hoping the fact that I haven't heard a rejection from anywhere yet is a good sign? Do schools normally send mass rejections out way past the time they send interview invites out?

From last year I got 2? I think mass rejection emails. I am worried about schools like Rice who last year sent out the email request on the 21st and nobody on here has heard anything.

18 hours ago, Joegeo said:

It's odd either a lot of I/O psych programs are taking their time this year or worse they have sent out their interviews/acceptances and those people just don't post here ?

For my own sake, I am going to assume that they are just taking their sweet time...

I am super worried for the early December Unis. Was really hoping to hear from Penn, USF,  BGSU, and Colorado. 

I did hear from Akron tho as well as Auburn. Had an interview with the latter on Thursday...don't feel like it went too well, really disappointed in myself. Hope Akron goes better.

Edited by crovanika

On 1/25/2019 at 1:10 PM, Cronbachs Alpha said:

Hello all! Longtime lurker finally jumping into the conversation. :)

@psychnerd92 I have not heard anything from USF either.

Has anyone heard anything from NCSU? I saw one person notify of their acceptance a couple of weeks ago. No one else has posted and my application status hasn't been updated.

Lurker from the Developmental thread. I applied to NCSU and haven't heard anything either, after a promising Skype talk with my potential POI in October. I hope they just haven't sent invites yet. :(

2 hours ago, petitebiscuit said:

Y’all, I feel like tomorrow starts a “make it or break it” week for hearing back from I/O programs. ?

I hope this really happens instead of feeling left out with more nerve-wracking silence! Any news is better than no news to be able to plan and move on. ?

4 hours ago, OddIsEven said:

Anyone heard from anywhere today? 

I received an email today from UCF requesting a phone interview. It will be held later this week--wish me luck!! 

Not heard from any other schools yet though.