6 hours ago, londonbnd said:

Thank you for all of these updates! Are you referring to Michigan State or Central Michigan? 

Michigan State University

10 minutes ago, OddIsEven said:

Anyone know what to expect from Open House/Visit Weekends? 

Are they more of a formality or are they genuine interviews? The University where I was invited only carries out their Open House for a day, and my POI described it as essentially a chance to meet the graduate students and faculty. 

Not too sure what to expect honestly. 

I had an open house at TAMU, and it was really informal, but I did meet one-on-one with 4/5 professors. It seemed to have a "getting to know you" focus. With that being said, I do think these things are used to narrow the top-candidate pool, so prepare to be asked a lot of questions (and ask your own). Good luck!!

10 hours ago, FingersCrossed101 said:

Hi everyone! New to posting, but I've been lurking for a few weeks and I thought I should probably share some info. I applied to: Colorado State, George Mason, Penn State, Rice, TAMU, and Univ of Minnesota.

TAMU has already had interviews (I went mid-January, still haven't heard back). I heard from the grad students at TAMU that Rice, Minnesota, and Michigan have all sent out or had interviews. I also know that this week Colorado just started inviting people to interview. I hope I get a call today, but to be honest, I'm not sure if they did all their calling yesterday (my friend got a call) or just this week in general. Hopefully I hear something back from someone. The process is really stressing me out. I really appreciate this resource, though. If anyone has updates on the schools I've applied to, please post them. Thanks :)

I'm really confused by this. Why would Grad Students at TAMU know that those schools already sent out/had interviews?

11 hours ago, azumarills said:

I'm really confused by this. Why would Grad Students at TAMU know that those schools already sent out/had interviews?

Sorry, I should mention that this knowledge sort of came through the grapevine. The grad students knew because the undergrads in their labs have told them that they heard back from these schools. But to be clear, this is secondhand information, I personally was not contacted by any of these schools.

Update: I haven't heard from Colorado and they called my friend two days ago. I'm really disappointed about it. I also saw on GradCafe that someone reported getting a phone interview with their POI at Penn State, quite disappointed by that also :( Has anyone heard anything from George Mason yet?

Genuinely feel like I'm not going to get in the cycle. Maybe I should start thinking about backup plans.

18 hours ago, tryingtostayafloat said:

Has anyone else here applied to University of Houston? When do you think they start getting back to people? They had a pretty late deadline (Jan 15)

I haven't heard anything. They're a pretty top shelf program though, so I'm not feeling too confident tbh?

18 hours ago, Joegeo said:

So how did the so call "make or break" week go. I guess I did get an acceptance (well I think for Albany) but I had one official rejection from Ohio and pretty sure have been rejected by Rice and Colorado State. 

My "make or break" week included ZERO communication from programs so I am not feeling too great about the process

34 minutes ago, OddIsEven said:

I'm still praying I get at least one or two. There's still a good chunk of schools I haven't heard from yet, and do I have a visit weekend planned in March. 

Anyone else having a real tough time trying to be optimistic? 

It's a tough process on the self-esteem.

I am waiting to hear back as well from GMU! I saw on their website that they typically make initial interview decisions usually by February 1st, but I haven't heard of anyone receiving an interview yet. Has anyone else heard back from them?

I know that Baruch notified candidates as to whether they were invited to their visitation day last week. 

I agree that the anticipation of waiting is awful though! 

6 hours ago, Waiting2See said:

I am waiting to hear back as well from GMU! I saw on their website that they typically make initial interview decisions usually by February 1st, but I haven't heard of anyone receiving an interview yet. Has anyone else heard back from them?

I know that Baruch notified candidates as to whether they were invited to their visitation day last week. 

I agree that the anticipation of waiting is awful though! 

I personally have not heard anything back from GMU but I saw someone got an acceptance on the results page. 

However, I hope everyone has a great week with lots of emails from programs!! 

On 1/31/2019 at 5:52 PM, tryingtostayafloat said:

My POI from UN-Omaha reached out with an offer, but I have to wait a bit to hear about funding. My first acceptance, so yay! I hope you hear something soon too!

Has anybody heard from Penn State? And Michigan State? I find it crazy that their deadlines were Dec 1 and we haven't heard anything yet.  

Congrats! Did you apply to the Masters or PhD program for UN-Omaha? 

To those of you who have been accepted, congratulations! I am wondering if you had experience conducting independent research, like an honor's thesis or something? I have not been accepted anywhere yet (really upset about it), and I am wondering if not doing independent research hurt me more than I thought it would. I have worked in the research labs at my school for a couple of years and I recently took on an administrative role in addition to running participants, which I thought would boost my CV. I might end up trying to gain independent research during my (forced) gap year. 

P.S. How are those of you who haven't been accepted anywhere dealing with it? I am feeling extremely sad, but also really embarrassed. I don't have people in my life that will think less of me for it, and yet I can't shake what feels like shame. Is anyone else struggling with this?

1 hour ago, FingersCrossed101 said:

To those of you who have been accepted, congratulations! I am wondering if you had experience conducting independent research, like an honor's thesis or something? I have not been accepted anywhere yet (really upset about it), and I am wondering if not doing independent research hurt me more than I thought it would. I have worked in the research labs at my school for a couple of years and I recently took on an administrative role in addition to running participants, which I thought would boost my CV. I might end up trying to gain independent research during my (forced) gap year. 

P.S. How are those of you who haven't been accepted anywhere dealing with it? I am feeling extremely sad, but also really embarrassed. I don't have people in my life that will think less of me for it, and yet I can't shake what feels like shame. Is anyone else struggling with this?

First I want to say there is NO shame in taking a gap year! I graduated in May 2017 and didn't want to take a gap year but realized this was going take a lot more out of me (and from me) to make it happen. I was able to find a job at a local university and gain a ton of research experience. My undergrad university didn't offer much in terms of research, I'm not even sure if they offered an honor's thesis for psychology.  I don't have much "independent" in the sense that I did it all on my own, but a few 1st author posters.  In my year off working full time in research I've been on 14+ posters and work on so many projects. There's no chance I would have been accepted anywhere without my gap year. It sounds like you still have a lot more experience than some and a lot of schools haven't made contact yet! 

Don't give up hope yet! But don't be afraid of taking a year (or 2, by the time I start I'll be two years out) it was the best decision I have made!

14 hours ago, psychedpsyched said:

Got a call today that I've been accepted to UN-Omaha for the MA/PHD program as well! 

Has anyone heard anything from LA Tech? 

Last year I got into LA Tech. I didn't hear from them for a while so I reached out to them and they just did a phone interview. I don't know if they hold formal interviews where they bring you in. Also they don't offer full funding so that is something to consider. 

4 hours ago, FingersCrossed101 said:

Yeah don't feel bad. I did an Honors Thesis in my last semester of undergrad and presented two posters, and I haven't heard anything yet.

I'm like... wondering if schools just don't like accepting people straight out of undergrad... ?