Hey all!

For anyone who is waiting for results from the IUPUI Ph.D. program in Applied Social and Organizational Psychology - They have started sending the admission results. Unfortunately, I did not make it this time. I saw a couple of other rejections too (in the results section). Prayers for the ones waiting to hear from them - Hopefully, the results they send from the next week is positive.

Also, I'm new to this website/forum. So, I would like to introduce myself.

• My Grad major and GPA -  MS in Management with some courses in I/O related topics. GPA: 3.83
  • My Undergrad major and GPA -  Bachelors in Engineering. GPA: 3.1
  • GRE Scores - 159Q, 146V, 4.00AWA.
  • Experience: About 1.5 years of applied research experience (consulting projects through my grad university and some external projects). No academic research experience.
  • Universities applied: DePaul, FIT, IUPUI, University of Oklahoma, Central Michigan University, Old Dominion, Clemson, University at Albany - SUNY, University of Houston.
  • Results so far: IUPUI - Rejected

Looking forward to responses from people who got their results/is waiting for results from any of these universities mentioned above.

My wishes to those who got accepted this season and my prayers to all those eagerly waiting for their results!

Thanks so much for starting the discussion @londonbnd

7 hours ago, FingersCrossed101 said:

To those of you who have been accepted, congratulations! I am wondering if you had experience conducting independent research, like an honor's thesis or something? I have not been accepted anywhere yet (really upset about it), and I am wondering if not doing independent research hurt me more than I thought it would. I have worked in the research labs at my school for a couple of years and I recently took on an administrative role in addition to running participants, which I thought would boost my CV. I might end up trying to gain independent research during my (forced) gap year. 

P.S. How are those of you who haven't been accepted anywhere dealing with it? I am feeling extremely sad, but also really embarrassed. I don't have people in my life that will think less of me for it, and yet I can't shake what feels like shame. Is anyone else struggling with this?

I'm sad to hear this but I think some perspective is needed.

First, graduate school - especially PhD programs - is not the 'natural' next-step for psychology graduates. If you are a senior, you are competing with people with advanced degrees, work experience, or those with extra years off doing full-time research. These people have anywhere from 50% more to double your experience, knowledge, and expertise. Unless you are an absolute rock star and very lucky, not getting into a PhD program as a senior in college is the norm, not the exception. 

Based on my observation in mid-tier+ I/O programs, I would say that less than half of the incoming students are "straight out of undergraduate". 1/3 typically have masters in I/O, 1/3 will have some combination of relevant work experience and/or extra years doing research. On top of that, most reputable programs accept like 5~10% of applicants, and most of those applicants are usually top 10~15% of their class. So people that get in, are often literally one of the best undergraduates in their University. 

And how many decent Ph.D. I/O programs are there in the US? SIOP shows me 70 programs, and taking out some slightly sketch ones, there are maybe 40~50? At an average of 4 incoming students per class, thats 200 students. Thats smaller than my Intro to Psych class. 

So, if you really, truly want a PhD, take the gap year, get a masters, beef up your research, work hard. There is literally nothing to be ashamed of. One round of rejection is nothing compare to what you will face in grad school

Edited by overunder

Found out today I was waitlisted at UCF - I figured as much. I also figured I'd have a harder time getting in because I'm an undergraduate here and I feel like universities always desire a diverse cohort. 

I'm considering applying to one or two masters programs as backups in case I don't get any offers. I actually do feel pretty confident about two universities I've applied to (Auburn & FIT), so there is that. 

Congratulations to everyone accepted so far by the way. It's a major accomplishment and you all should be proud of yourselves!

9 hours ago, FingersCrossed101 said:

To those of you who have been accepted, congratulations! I am wondering if you had experience conducting independent research, like an honor's thesis or something? I have not been accepted anywhere yet (really upset about it), and I am wondering if not doing independent research hurt me more than I thought it would. I have worked in the research labs at my school for a couple of years and I recently took on an administrative role in addition to running participants, which I thought would boost my CV. I might end up trying to gain independent research during my (forced) gap year. 

P.S. How are those of you who haven't been accepted anywhere dealing with it? I am feeling extremely sad, but also really embarrassed. I don't have people in my life that will think less of me for it, and yet I can't shake what feels like shame. Is anyone else struggling with this?

I know exactly how you feel. I am also feeling extremely embarrassed because I was really confident going in but now I’m a bit more nervous. I have only heard from two programs which I was waitlisted at. At this point, my hopes aren’t very high. I don’t really want to go to a masters program first but I’m beginning to consider it.

I just want to say thank you for the thoughtful responses to my earlier post about feeling distressed over not being accepted. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm currently making a pros and cons list of the different things I could do next year or over the next couple of years. My main choices are continuing in the lab I am currently in and working on research that would give me a poster presentation or publication (of which I have none), getting a job in a related field to gain experience, or going for my master's degree in I/O. It's a lot to think about, but I'm feeling better now that I have made some preliminary plans. Has anyone taken a gap year or years? If so, what did you do to increase your competitiveness? Thanks!

I thought you'd all like to know, I spoke with somebody from Akron who mentioned that Penn State, Michigan state Georgia... and another one that I can't remember now unfortunately (Rice, maybe) have all sent out their first round of invites/acceptences. She said that if you're not in the first round you may be in the second round, etc. 

She encouraged me to get in touch with them about the status.

5 minutes ago, crovanika said:

I thought you'd all like to know, I spoke with somebody from Akron who mentioned that Penn State, Michigan state Georgia... and another one that I can't remember now unfortunately (Rice, maybe) have all sent out their first round of invites/acceptences. She said that if you're not in the first round you may be in the second round, etc. 

She encouraged me to get in touch with them about the status.

Well Rice just sent me a rejection email so it could have been them!

15 hours ago, pearl_lyng said:

Anyone applied to Canadian universities? I applied to U Guelph's I/O program and haven't heard a peep yet. 

I didn't apply to Guelph, but I'm also a Canadian applicant! So far I've only heard from Western.

15 hours ago, pearl_lyng said:

Anyone applied to Canadian universities? I applied to U Guelph's I/O program and haven't heard a peep yet. 

I applied to Calgary. I haven't heard anything back yet.

3 hours ago, crovanika said:

Another week, another...waiting ?

Right there with you. I shouldn't be left to my own devices. I only applied to a couple of schools. I literally have gone through all of the old submitted results and calculated the chance of getting contacted each day/the chance that it is an acceptance if I do contacted.... all while of course criticizing my very limited sample size/method.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:16 PM, pearl_lyng said:

I officially got rejected from Waterloo yesterday. But I was an American applicant and they basically told me a few weeks after I submitted that they didn’t have funding for international students.