Grad. School Supplies?

SNPCracklePop

For you Purple Mattress fans, are you able to roll it back up when you want to move?  I too want to upgrade to nice mattress but when I have to move for intern year I'd like it to not be a huge pain in the ass to move.  If it rolls back up like it was when it came and can be put in a car then this might be something to look into.  

On 3/18/2016 at 0:04 AM, scrivere said:

Clothing question-- Are leggings acceptable day-to-day attire in most (humanities/social sci) PhD programs?

When I visited programs, I saw plenty of (graduate) students in leggings. I'm no expert, just an observation.

12 minutes ago, mk-8 said:

When I visited programs, I saw plenty of (graduate) students in leggings. I'm no expert, just an observation.

Same, but I wasn't visiting high-ranked, ivy league programs either. I think the acceptability of certain dress probably depends on the departmental preferences. I'm sure some programs are far more laid back than others. 

On 3/17/2016 at 9:47 AM, ihatechoosingusernames said:

I'm planning on getting a Purple Mattress too! It seems so easy to get it delivered to my new apartment, and the online reviews are fantastic. 

On 3/17/2016 at 7:17 PM, rhombusbombus said:

@Neist Yeah. The Purple Mattress has me kind of brainwashed. It's that 100 day try out period!

I've considered that one, too, but it's a chunk more expensive than the Casper ones. You should post your thoughts on them if you order one. :) 

20 minutes ago, Neist said:

I've considered that one, too, but it's a chunk more expensive than the Casper ones. You should post your thoughts on them if you order one. :) 

I've also heard the GhostBed is pretty good too, and it seems to be cheaper than the Purple. Have you looked at sleepsherpa.com? They've got all sorts of reviews and rankings of these mattresses, and GhostBed ranked very high. 

58 minutes ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

I've also heard the GhostBed is pretty good too, and it seems to be cheaper than the Purple. Have you looked at sleepsherpa.com? They've got all sorts of reviews and rankings of these mattresses, and GhostBed ranked very high. 

I have not look at sleepsherpa.com. I'll have to check it out. Thanks! :) 

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Same, but I wasn't visiting high-ranked, ivy league programs either. I think the acceptability of certain dress probably depends on the departmental preferences. I'm sure some programs are far more laid back than others. 

Probably :)

7 hours ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

The GhostBed does look good and I like that its cheaper than Purple.  The only thing that kinda bugs me is I can't find any mention of it being flame retardant.  That's pretty important and I'd prefer they use a knit thing the way Purple does instead of chemicals.

I know that the topic has kind of moved on, but I've found a lot of high-quality women's business casual and professional clothing at thrift stores. Things still with tags on, in like-new condition, from brands like Ann Taylor, designers carried at Anthropologie, Banana Republic, J. Crew, etc.

Most of my nicest clothing (the kind that gets compliments) was purchased for under $10 an item by careful searching of the racks in periods when I had more time than money. Just a suggestion for those finding this thread now, like me!

On 3/22/2016 at 2:07 PM, cyborgchild said:

Did anyone hold on to their GRE prep materials (textbooks, flash cards) when you started grad school? I'm thinking of donating them or giving them to a friend but wanted to make sure I wouldn't need them again.

You can donate them to the public library and then they'll be accessible to students that can't afford to buy them.

7 minutes ago, steveshooman said:

I know that the topic has kind of moved on, but I've found a lot of high-quality women's business casual and professional clothing at thrift stores. Things still with tags on, in like-new condition, from brands like Ann Taylor, designers carried at Anthropologie, Banana Republic, J. Crew, etc.

Most of my nicest clothing (the kind that gets compliments) was purchased for under $10 an item by careful searching of the racks in periods when I had more time than money. Just a suggestion for those finding this thread now, like me!

It always amazes me that people donate clothing that still has the tags on it.  Maybe they're all shopaholics and will just buy anything and everything lol.  

1 minute ago, MarineBluePsy said:

It always amazes me that people donate clothing that still has the tags on it.  Maybe they're all shopaholics and will just buy anything and everything lol.  

Closeout stores are also pretty amazing. Some of my favorite pants came closeout stores. I have multiple pairs of Dockers slacks that I got for under 20 bucks a pair. Yay. :) 

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

Closeout stores are also pretty amazing. Some of my favorite pants came closeout stores. I have multiple pairs of Dockers slacks that I got for under 20 bucks a pair. Yay. :) 

A closeout store?  Is that the same as an outlet store?

Just now, MarineBluePsy said:

A closeout store?  Is that the same as an outlet store?

Basically, yup. All new clothing. Usually name brand. Quite cheap. There's one close to my in-laws and whenever I visit I stock up on clothes. 

6 minutes ago, Neist said:

Basically, yup. All new clothing. Usually name brand. Quite cheap. There's one close to my in-laws and whenever I visit I stock up on clothes. 

Oh I see.  Yes I do go to those for some staple items.

Thanks for all the mattress suggestions! I have a bit of a different question: sturdy, reliable, yet fashionable shoes for ladyperson feet....perhaps something like oxfords. I will be walking around 3-4 miles per day with my new program, rain, snow, or shine, and my shoes tend to get worn quickly! I ask because I tend to dress formally, not wearing sneakers to class.

I can only imagine that people: 1) Buy things they don't really need and never get around to wearing them, 2) Are given clothing that is not their taste/size and don't have a way to return the items, or 3) Some other option that I haven't considered that would explain new clothing going into a donation bin.

Either way, I'm the beneficiary and am happy to see this phenomenon continue!

Just now, Cat_Robutt said:

Thanks for all the mattress suggestions! I have a bit of a different question: sturdy, reliable, yet fashionable shoes for ladyperson feet....perhaps something like oxfords. I will be walking around 3-4 miles per day with my new program, rain, snow, or shine, and my shoes tend to get worn quickly! I ask because I tend to dress formally, not wearing sneakers to class.

I've been thinking about this as well! Whenever I go on sites looking for reviews (like the femalefashionadvice section of reddit), I see tons of support for a shoe brand called Corso Como: https://shop.cccorsocomo.com/

They are apparently made with comfort in mind and people say that their flats are really good.

You could also try different kinds of loafers or smoking slippers (some loafers can be found here): http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-flat-loafer-moccasin

If anyone else has recommendations, I'd also like to hear them! I'm constantly looking for shoes that will last a long time, as I walk tons every day.

9 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

28 minutes ago, eternallyephemeral said:

If anyone else has recommendations, I'd also like to hear them! I'm constantly looking for shoes that will last a long time, as I walk tons every day.

Okay, so as I'm not a woman, I'm not sure how well I can give recommendations. :D However, I have done kitchen work and am on my feet quite a bit, so I thought I'd share some brands that might offer professional-looking, comfortable options.

Two brands immediately pop in my head that you might consider, and neither are especially cheap: Danskos or Eccos.

Eccos are among the most comfortable shoes I've worn in my life, and they have quite a few professional, dressier options. And Danskos are incredibly comfortable and last forever. I'm a trained pastry chef and my Dankos have been put through the ringer. As long as you take care of the leather, they should last for a very, very long time.

Edited by Neist
Typos.

10 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

1 hour ago, eternallyephemeral said:

I've been thinking about this as well! Whenever I go on sites looking for reviews (like the femalefashionadvice section of reddit), I see tons of support for a shoe brand called Corso Como: https://shop.cccorsocomo.com/

They are apparently made with comfort in mind and people say that their flats are really good.

You could also try different kinds of loafers or smoking slippers (some loafers can be found here): http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-flat-loafer-moccasin

For a nicer yet not a sneaker option I like Sperry's topsiders.  For more casual but cute and good for walking options or sandals I like Naturalizer, Aerosoles, and Easy Spirit.  For everything from flats, sandals, espadrilles, shooties, boots, gladiators, pumps, heels, wedges, mules, kittens, etc I swear by Clarks.  They aren't always cheap, but if you do some digging or buy in the off season you can find some deals/coupons and Clarks has an outlet also.  

I have what shoe salespeople politely call "problem feet" and on top of that I walk and stand a lot and insist on looking foxy on a night out.  I mean seriously, how often do you see guys hitting on chicks in orthopedic shoes?  Yeah that's what I thought lol.  I have a pair of way to high for me heels courtesy of Clarks that I managed to strut all over town in and height aside they feel a lot like sneakers.

Thanks for all the shoe recs! @MarineBluePsy I also have "problem feet" with supination, so parts of the treads get worn very quickly! I will check out Clarks and Corsocomo. @Neist I love Danskos....but that's what my mom wears for her job and so I have always associated them with moms haha :P