Grad. School Supplies?

SNPCracklePop

2 hours ago, Cat_Robutt said:

Thanks for all the shoe recs! @MarineBluePsy I also have "problem feet" with supination, so parts of the treads get worn very quickly! I will check out Clarks and Corsocomo. @Neist I love Danskos....but that's what my mom wears for her job and so I have always associated them with moms haha :P

Comfortable shoes, but they aren't necessarily attractive, I admit. Also make you SUPER tall. Haha.

In an unrelated noted, does anyone know of any book shelving that is desktop friendly, and stands high enough to situate a monitor below it? I'm fixing to lose quite a bit of shelving space, and I need a space-friendly alternative.

8 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Re: shoes... what is wrong with just walking/running shoes? A nice pair of Nikes will last quite a while (and many, many miles)...

You're absolutely right that running shoes last a long time, but I'm looking for more professional shoes and I find that the one thing that basically makes me look more like a student and less like a future professional are the kinds of shoes I'm wearing. Obviously there are other, more important things, but my program has lots of internships. Also when I'm TAing, I'm very aware of trying to come across as a more mature adult to put some distance between the undergraduates and I.

8 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Re: shoes... what is wrong with just walking/running shoes? A nice pair of Nikes will last quite a while (and many, many miles)...

They'll last a while, but few will last a really long while. You can generally expect to get 600-700ish miles out of a pair of running shoes before they start to show some wear. They can sometimes hit 1000+ miles, but they'll start to get ragged. In contrast, a pair of well-made boots will last 3-4 times that long.

I know the differences are moot at a certain point, but I walk a lot, so I've noticed it over time. I've recently moved to sport sandals because they can last a long, long time. A pair of Chacos might last 5-10 years with some minor repairs (which Chacos will do for a small fee). I'm currently wearing some Xero Shoes sandals. Their soles are warrantied for 5000 miles. :D 

Overkill for some, but I was tired of buying more shoes. Although sandals aren't exactly professional looking. Good thing I'm in the humanities! ;) 

Edited by Neist

I am a fan of Everlane's shoes: https://www.everlane.com/collections/womens-shoes  Really nice construction.

Also, doc martens has a line that they guarantee will last a long time and they will repair for free. http://drmartensforlife.com/ Maybe, not quite TA professional, depending, but I'll probably wear mine anyway.

Edited by savay

On 3/27/2016 at 4:08 PM, Cat_Robutt said:

Thanks for all the mattress suggestions! I have a bit of a different question: sturdy, reliable, yet fashionable shoes for ladyperson feet....perhaps something like oxfords. I will be walking around 3-4 miles per day with my new program, rain, snow, or shine, and my shoes tend to get worn quickly! I ask because I tend to dress formally, not wearing sneakers to class.

Clark's are my go-tos for shoes like this, but I've also had good luck with Naturalizers and EasySpirit. 

On 3/27/2016 at 5:08 PM, Neist said:

In an unrelated noted, does anyone know of any book shelving that is desktop friendly, and stands high enough to situate a monitor below it? I'm fixing to lose quite a bit of shelving space, and I need a space-friendly alternative.

Ah ha! Found something. In case anyone else needs something similar, here's a link:

http://www.dormco.com/The_College_Cube_Dorm_Desk_Bookshelf_p/tccdb-cubebook.htm

On March 29, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Cat_Robutt said:

More shore recs! Yes! Thank you all again! :lol:

@Cat_Robutt @fencergirl My sister-in-law is a professional chef = spends all day on her feet and has to look nice for customers. She swears by Dansko shoes. My wife is an executive in the non-profit world and often wears Keen's dressier shoes & boots to work. For the guys out there, I wear Aston Grey dress shoes and like them for my EE feet (and they're comparatively inexpensive), casually I wear all varieties of Chaco (sandals and boots).

On 3/27/2016 at 9:10 PM, MarineBluePsy said:

You can donate them to the public library and then they'll be accessible to students that can't afford to buy them.

It always amazes me that people donate clothing that still has the tags on it.  Maybe they're all shopaholics and will just buy anything and everything lol.  

Thanks @MarineBluePsy. So, there's definitely no chance I'll be needing them again?

46 minutes ago, cyborgchild said:

Thanks @MarineBluePsy. So, there's definitely no chance I'll be needing them again?

Well the only reasons I can see to keep them would be if you 1) needed to take the test again or 2) planned to do GRE tutoring or teach GRE prep courses.  If neither are the case I can't see the point in lugging them around.

I don't know if this is already buried in the old pages here, but this backpack. The very good Swiss Gear ones aren't exactly cheap as far as backpacks go ($60-$80) but it will hold everything and they're very well cushioned, have great support. Mine has lasted through undergrad, my sister's through undergrad and then some, and my dad's went through several years in the working world and 10 years of an information systems PhD.

Mine has fallen on concrete laptop-first--with no actual case on my laptop and several textbooks on top of it--and everything came out fine, which is a miracle considering how many times I've dropped it. And as a bonus, all the padding on the back/shoulders makes good pillow in a pinch.

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm so surprised they haven't made a backpack that is ACTUALLY made to be used as a pillow yet... the "gradpack", or something.

You mean like these:

http://www.maidenjane.com/2013/09/diy-backpack-memory-pillow.html/

http://gizmodo.com/everywheres-a-bed-with-a-self-inflating-backpack-pillow-1616862845

5 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:
4 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

:o

That's fantastic!!

I need to sit down and rethink my life. This is....wow, like, how did I not know about these?

On 3/27/2016 at 0:16 AM, Neist said:

Basically, yup. All new clothing. Usually name brand. Quite cheap. There's one close to my in-laws and whenever I visit I stock up on clothes. 

I have 2 huge outlet malls within 30 minutes of me (both directions) - I'll be getting some more desert-friendly clothing from there before I move (and after I donate some older clothes I don't wear/don't fit me anymore).

Almost any store usually has a LOT of stuff on clearance this time of year too - hit those sections up and you can find some pretty professional clothing on the cheap too. I usually do that at places like Kohl's 2-3 times a year.

I'm debating whether I should treat myself and get a nice desk for home. I'll be reading/writing papers a lot so I think I can justify it ha. Any recommendations? I would like something clean, not bulky, and maybe in a fun color? I'm planning on having a laptop, printer, and would like some room for papers. Storage would be great too! I've been looking online for a bit and have found nothing yet.

5 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I'm debating whether I should treat myself and get a nice desk for home. I'll be reading/writing papers a lot so I think I can justify it ha. Any recommendations? I would like something clean, not bulky, and maybe in a fun color? I'm planning on having a laptop, printer, and would like some room for papers. Storage would be great too! I've been looking online for a bit and have found nothing yet.

You can mix and match desktop +legs/cabinets at Ikea. Relatively cheap (I guess?). 

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

See I've never been in an Ikea before, I didn't know you could do that!

I think you can mix and match online as well. I may be getting a new desk as well. Likely going with the linmon desk, 1 alex drawer and 2 legs for the other side. Haven't yet decided because its lower on my priority list (I have a functional desk, its just kinda ugly and one of the cabinets is broken). 

1 hour ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I looked for a long time and couldn't find anything I really liked. I ended up getting a solid Craigslist deal on a wooden one.

Why are desks so hard to find? All I wanted was something that didn't wobble when you sat at it. Ergh.

@Fallen Thanks for the suggestion! I may play around with that idea. @Neist I know what you mean, I've been looking for awhile now. We are most likely going to use craigslist for a lot of our furniture. I hate things that are very ornate which seems to be a common theme for desks or they look like cheap metal ones. Maybe a compromise will be try to find colors in other ways. I'm thinking of setups like this.

fff9e1e5f825b8983607c5c86203d559.jpgelegant-mid-century-desk-to-get-inspirednavy-blue-mcm-desk-1024x705.jpg