Grad. School Supplies?

SNPCracklePop

Where do you guys think I could get a really comfortable reading chair for under 500?

I went to Office Max and just tried every single one of their chairs. I ended up getting mine for under $200, and it's done a great job for days I'm sitting down for 12-14 hours.

I'm planning on buying a new laptop this fall as I head back to school. Macbooks are not in the pile for consideration so I'm looking at Windows laptops and Ultrabooks. The lightness of an ultrabook is really appealing to me but I know that I am simply paying $500+ for less weight and that uber portable size. Does anyone have any experience with an ultrabook? Is it worth the cost for less weight? Is there one you would recommend or that you think people should stay away from? Better to save the money and get a regular laptop that is a bit heavier but just as capable?

I will be using it for essays, running MaxQDA and other qualitative analysis software, downloading and watching tv and movies, etc. Not concerned with using it for gaming, but I do want a solid functional piece of machinery that will last. Thoughts?

Depending on your budget: If you must carry the thing around, back and forth to school and basically just lug it around everywhere on foot on your shoulder/back then an ultrabook would be really good for that. Invaluable I'd say.

If portability is not an issue and it will mostly be sitting around on your desk/office or being only carried short trips to and from the car, then I strongly recommend a regular laptop, but maybe one of the lighter models. Check the weight of the laptop you're buying and try and keep it under 6lbs, and you'll be fine.

If it's to be your sole avenue of entertainment (as mine was) for watching stuff during grad school, you don't want to consider anything less than 14" if it's an ultra, preferably 15"+.

I'm thinking of getting an ultrabook (if I get in), in addition to my 15.4" behemoth. I am tired of carrying this heavy 7 lb acer laptop everywhere, and just think twice before considering taking it with me or not. An under 3lb laptop sounds like a dream (even though this one has served loyally for almost 4 years now).

I went to Office Max and just tried every single one of their chairs. I ended up getting mine for under $200, and it's done a great job for days I'm sitting down for 12-14 hours.

Haha, how long did you try each of the chairs for? I feel that you don't really know what sitting on them is really like unless you actually can use a computer on them (since this is where neck and back pain issues can crop in, and where an ideal chair can prevent them)

I bought a LiveScribe Echo 4GB smartpen on eBay and it's perfect! I don't know why I didn't get one during my Masters Program - it'sperfect for something like Math or Econ where you have graphs, diagrams... I got it for < $100 and the accessories are surprisingly inexpensive.

If you don't need the computational power of a desktop, I would advise just getting a laptop and an external monitor/keyboard/mouse and work that way.

FWIW, I agree with this statement. All of my computers have been laptops. While the additional cost of an external keyboard, mouse, monitor, HDD, and, if you're so inclined, a docking station can add up, the mobility is, IMO, worth the additional expense.

In regards to a printer, please consider the advantages of doing most of your printing at an on-campus computer lab. Similarly, one might also do Xeroxing at a copy shop or purchase a copy card that will run your school's copiers. That way, you have access to better technology than you might be able to afford on a graduate student's budget. Also, if the hardware goes south during the eleventh hour, it is someone else's problem, not yours.

My $0.02.

My problem when I forgo the desktop for a laptop, is that I tend to leave the laptop plugged in ALL THE TIME and accidentally destroy the battery life. I've done this to two laptops now. The first one was not a big deal, because it was 5 years old and had lived out its life and the battery might have died anyways, but the second one was my new-ish netbook, which is kind of a pain.

My problem when I forgo the desktop for a laptop, is that I tend to leave the laptop plugged in ALL THE TIME and accidentally destroy the battery life. I've done this to two laptops now. The first one was not a big deal, because it was 5 years old and had lived out its life and the battery might have died anyways, but the second one was my new-ish netbook, which is kind of a pain.

You could take the battery out, and put it back only when you unplug your laptop.

What? You ruin battery life by leaving the laptop plugged in? Why haven't I ever heard of this?

On a side note: I too leave my laptop plugged in all the time (I mean really, all the time), and my battery life after 4 years seems fine. Lasts the roughly 2+ hours of computing it's supposed to. Are you sure about this?

*goes off to do a little battery googling...*

What? You ruin battery life by leaving the laptop plugged in? Why haven't I ever heard of this?

On a side note: I too leave my laptop plugged in all the time (I mean really, all the time), and my battery life after 4 years seems fine. Lasts the roughly 2+ hours of computing it's supposed to. Are you sure about this?

*goes off to do a little battery googling...*

I also Googled it and there are differing opinions. Although my netbook battery is shot and it's only a few years old and that's the only thing I can think may have caused it. It was fine before last summer when I left it plugged in all the time and used it as a desktop essentially.

I also Googled it and there are differing opinions. Although my netbook battery is shot and it's only a few years old and that's the only thing I can think may have caused it. It was fine before last summer when I left it plugged in all the time and used it as a desktop essentially.

Hmm... it seems that this is the case for older batteries. Lithium ion batteries on the other hand (which most laptops now use) should never be left to discharge completely, as that degrades the battery. It's recommended actually that you keep it plugged in. If you must store it, then it's recommended to charge it to ~50% and keep it in the fridge, since that slows down the draining process over time. It seems that leaving the battery in the laptop for long periods of time without plugging it in will slowly drain the battery and eventually ruin it.

I actually plan on keeping my laptop, I wanted a desktop in addition to my laptop. I also agree that printing at school is best, but with print quotas schools have now and sometimes printing at home so you don't have to go to school is helpful.

My grad school has told us that they strongly, strongly recommend buying a new laptop for grad school with an extended warranty. I'm reluctant to give up my MacBook, but I acknowledge that it is 3.5 years old and not top of the line anymore. The IT coordinator said that MacBook Airs were good enough (his main exhortation was NO NETBOOK, he ok'd ultrabooks for a MPA/IR program) so I may get that instead--yay SSD and instant startup! The other thing he recommended is to buy your laptop as close to the start of the school year as possible to make sure you have the most up-to-date version, and to buy the extended warranty because that way if it dies halfway through your second year you don't have to shell out for a replacement.

One thing that Mac users, and even PC users, should keep in mind is that if your current comp is in decent condition, you can trade it in for money off. In my case, my late 2008 first version of the metal MacBook, in fairly good condition, will net me a $300 credit I can apply to the MacBook Air along with the 10% education discount for about $400 off (40% discount). PC users, might need to go to a 3rd party trade-in but these trade-ins are where "refurbished" laptops come from :)

Also, another thing to keep in mind is... sales tax! I am from a no-sales-tax state, currently in a 6% and moving to a 10% (damn you CA) so it's worth $40-100 to buy outside of CA.

My grad school has told us that they strongly, strongly recommend buying a new laptop for grad school with an extended warranty. I'm reluctant to give up my MacBook, but I acknowledge that it is 3.5 years old and not top of the line anymore. The IT coordinator said that MacBook Airs were good enough (his main exhortation was NO NETBOOK, he ok'd ultrabooks for a MPA/IR program) so I may get that instead--yay SSD and instant startup! The other thing he recommended is to buy your laptop as close to the start of the school year as possible to make sure you have the most up-to-date version, and to buy the extended warranty because that way if it dies halfway through your second year you don't have to shell out for a replacement.

One thing that Mac users, and even PC users, should keep in mind is that if your current comp is in decent condition, you can trade it in for money off. In my case, my late 2008 first version of the metal MacBook, in fairly good condition, will net me a $300 credit I can apply to the MacBook Air along with the 10% education discount for about $400 off (40% discount). PC users, might need to go to a 3rd party trade-in but these trade-ins are where "refurbished" laptops come from :)

Also, another thing to keep in mind is... sales tax! I am from a no-sales-tax state, currently in a 6% and moving to a 10% (damn you CA) so it's worth $40-100 to buy outside of CA.

Will they take your MacBook at the Apple store or did you get that deal somewhere else? Pretty awesome!

• 2 years later...

So I saw a few comments on tablets, but I wanted to ask directly - thoughts on getting a tablet for the start of grad school? Pretty sure my program is going to be reading intensive (middle eastern studies) and I was considering just transferring to paperless and purchasing all of my books online. Anyone do this and feel one way or the other about it? What kind of tablet should I get? 

So I saw a few comments on tablets, but I wanted to ask directly - thoughts on getting a tablet for the start of grad school? Pretty sure my program is going to be reading intensive (middle eastern studies) and I was considering just transferring to paperless and purchasing all of my books online. Anyone do this and feel one way or the other about it? What kind of tablet should I get? 

A lot of people here seem to have tablets, and there are a few good discussions about what people chose if you search.

I have an iPad and use it a lot to read PDFs, borrow library books, and I just rented a textbook on it last semester. I like it a lot for that purpose-- it's much lighter than any of those physical books or my laptop would have been, and I am much better at keeping digital files organized than physical ones. I'm also not stuck carrying around books the day I borrow or return them when I don't need them. In Overdrive, my (Chicago Public Library) books just stop working when they're due so I never incur fines.

In my experience working on it is less great. The iPad version of Google Drive is fine for reading files and basic word processing, but not much more in my opinion. I can't speak to other office applications so perhaps there's a better one out there, but in my experience if you find yourself a little limited by the full browser version of this type of app, then you'll hate the iPad version. If you think you'll want to create documents often on whatever you buy, you're better off getting a laptop that is portable enough for your needs or perhaps investigating something like the Surface that can run the full versions of those applications.

A lot of people here seem to have tablets, and there are a few good discussions about what people chose if you search.

I have an iPad and use it a lot to read PDFs, borrow library books, and I just rented a textbook on it last semester. I like it a lot for that purpose-- it's much lighter than any of those physical books or my laptop would have been, and I am much better at keeping digital files organized than physical ones. I'm also not stuck carrying around books the day I borrow or return them when I don't need them. In Overdrive, my (Chicago Public Library) books just stop working when they're due so I never incur fines.

In my experience working on it is less great. The iPad version of Google Drive is fine for reading files and basic word processing, but not much more in my opinion. I can't speak to other office applications so perhaps there's a better one out there, but in my experience if you find yourself a little limited by the full browser version of this type of app, then you'll hate the iPad version. If you think you'll want to create documents often on whatever you buy, you're better off getting a laptop that is portable enough for your needs or perhaps investigating something like the Surface that can run the full versions of those applications.

I find using tablets for creating documents is too big a pain in the neck. However, I used my iPad intensively during the last few years of my undergrad, specially when writing my thesis, and I. LOVE. IT.

I've gathered a huge collection of books and articles that are synced with my computer through Dropbox. I use PDF Expert (it costs $10 and it's worth every penny) to read and annotate my documents. 

I think in addition to grad school supplies we should start compiling a list of grad school apps! They're just as important for reading, writing, document management, time management, etc!! Personally, I found these (Mac and Android - for my iPad and cell phoned) apps must-haves during undergrad and will probably continue to use them during grad school:

PDF expert

iStudiez

Evernote

Dropbox

Marvin e-reader

Wunderlist

Camscanner

Clearfocus (a Pomodoro technique app!)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gnome Chomsky

If you have Office 365 (U of Washington gave it to us for free) on your laptop, you can download Office Mobile on your phone or tablet. It probably works with Office 2013 too. Not sure about older versions of Office. Office Mobile is free. It comes with Word, Excel and PowerPoint. You can also get OneNote for free on any device. You can sync them all up to the Cloud with OneDrive. All these are free on mobile devices. 

Let's see. What else? EverNote is really popular. I have it on my phone but I've never used it so I can't really give you much advice. It's supposed to be very popular though. It's like a college organizer. 

Looking for recommendations for a good water bottle that is durable and doesn't leak, and a lunch bag/tote/whatever that fits enough food to last a whole day and is easy to carry around with all my other stuff

I currently have a 32oz contigo (has never leaked and they have a lifetime warranty) and a byo lunch bag (currently holding my breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks)

Looking for recommendations for a good water bottle that is durable and doesn't leak, and a lunch bag/tote/whatever that fits enough food to last a whole day and is easy to carry around with all my other stuff

I'm a big fan of http://www.kleankanteen.com 

Far cleaner and durable than a plastic water bottle.

For the lunch bag/tote, perhaps you could try Etsy for inexpensive good looking stuff?

Edited by paolaplease

I have a byo bag but it's too small to hold everything. Think I'm gonna go with this one, looks bigger and I like that it has longer straps and the side pocket for a bottle

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F8K8SE2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3AWUQRKGAHGHH&coliid=I3U6SEF0O2420Q

haha, that's actually the one that I currently own. I love it.

I may have missed it in the listing.  Anyone have recommendations for a good armless chair for small area with lumbar support for back problems.  I haven't been in school, since 1997.  Creating a study area in guest bedroom with limited space.  I have my desk, but need an armless chair that is comfortable and will slide all the way under the desk.  I have a small bookshelf and need other storage ideas for a small footprint study area.