French PhD applications - Fall 2019

carax

On 1/5/2019 at 2:55 AM, Frenchlady said:

Good morning y'all,

I went through the process of application last year but had to turn down all univ because of personal matters. I am back in the application process again. I applied to LSU, Univ of virginia and Brown to enter a PhD program in French.

I really like the 3 univ I have applied to this round but I am not sure which one is best, in case I get accepted everywhere (my dream). Any piece of advice???

Good luck to all,

--

French Lady

I applied and was accepted to LSU and UVA last year! I think LSU is great for Francophone studies, but they didn’t even bother to invite me for a visit (and when I asked, the professor just went, “Oh, we don’t just offer vacations.”) I visited UVA and really enjoyed it, it was one of my top choices but after weeks of agonizing, I ultimately went with Cornell because it was a better fit for me. I will say that the nerve wracking part about UVA is that, when they invited me to visit with other applicants, none of us had been accepted yet! So if you do get an invite, just be prepared :) Afraid I can’t say anything about Brown, I know nothing about its program and didn’t apply there. 

Hey everyone,

My mom has been lurking on this and last year's thread for me and passing along any interesting info (hi mom!!!). I'd never heard of the site before. but I decided to finally make my own account and join the discussion now that we're all playing the waiting game! I'm jumping back into the game after 3 "gap years".  I've already done my Masters in French. I'm interested in 19th and early 20th cent lit and theory. I've applied to 10 schools and only heard from one so far (had a Skype interview). I've really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts from last year and seeing all the successful acceptances! Hope to read more from some of us in this year's cycle soon! :) 

3 hours ago, mfrostpunch said:

Hey everyone,

My mom has been lurking on this and last year's thread for me and passing along any interesting info (hi mom!!!). I'd never heard of the site before. but I decided to finally make my own account and join the discussion now that we're all playing the waiting game! I'm jumping back into the game after 3 "gap years".  I've already done my Masters in French. I'm interested in 19th and early 20th cent lit and theory. I've applied to 10 schools and only heard from one so far (had a Skype interview). I've really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts from last year and seeing all the successful acceptances! Hope to read more from some of us in this year's cycle soon! :) 

Very nice! Which school did you hear from? 

I'm interested in Early modern, I've applied to three schools and hope they will share their decisions as soon as possible!

Hi everyone! I'm Aubrey! I'm currently working in the TAPIF program and applied to way too many schools probably, but I finally decided to make an account here to say that I've been asked to do an interview for the University of Pittsburgh!! It's the first program I've heard from so far.  :) Any new from you guys yet?

Hello everyone !

I just finished submitting applications to Romance Language/French Studies PhD programs at Harvard, Brown, Cornell, Boston University and NYU. Does anyone have any experience with hearing back or with the programs at any of these schools? 

I noticed most of the schools that I applied to have at least one student who received their master's from the same school that I did, plus I am currently still in France working part time as a program assistant for a US university's study abroad program and am a full-time student. 

Does anyone have any advice for reaching out to individual professors? I've sent one email to far to Gretchen Schultz at Brown and have also been in contact with a current student at Brown and at Cornell.

Any advice/words of wisdom are appreciated! Thank you!

@lime, that’s great! Which 3 did you apply to? I hope so too. I had a Skype interview with WashU. 

Today I heard from UNC-Chapel Hill that I’ve been accepted! Just a general letter with instructions to wait to hear directly from the dept about a potential funding offer later. Anyone else hear from them? 

@Beeba congrats on your interview! I applied to way too many schools as well. Where are you living/working for TAPIF?

@krikrileigh I applied to several of those schools as well. The Ivies are probably a bit out of reach for me but I figured It doesn’t hurt to try! Where do you live in France right now and what are you studying? I’m jealous of all you guys who get to be in France right now. 

2 hours ago, mfrostpunch said:

@Beeba congrats on your interview! I applied to way too many schools as well. Where are you living/working for TAPIF?

Thanks! The professor who interviewed me was really nice and I should hear back by mid-February at the latest. I work at Lycee Paul Emile Victor in Champagnole. It's a tiny town in Franche Comte region in the Jura mountains area (So lots of cold weather and snow during winter, but I'm a southern girl so I love finally having more that a few days worth of snow lol). 

1 hour ago, Beeba said:

Thanks! The professor who interviewed me was really nice and I should hear back by mid-February at the latest. I work at Lycee Paul Emile Victor in Champagnole. It's a tiny town in Franche Comte region in the Jura mountains area (So lots of cold weather and snow during winter, but I'm a southern girl so I love finally having more that a few days worth of snow lol). 

That's great! That sounds like a beautiful area to be in. When I did TAPIF, the closest I made it over to that area was Lyon. Lol southern girl here too! Snow is so exciting when you're not used to it. 

@krikrileigh I got my acceptance to Cornell in early February, I want to say around the 15th! NYU has two visiting weekends that you should be hearing about soon (they get a ton of applicants, and have to split the interviews into two weekends in February). Harvard should be contacting for phone interviews around this time :) As for Boston and Brown, I want to say that they also accept rather early, within the first weeks of February; I didn't apply, but I met people at NYU who were accepted to both and were discussing it during our visiting weekend in late February. 

Best of luck to you all!! It's stressful, but so ridiculously exciting once visits start. Enjoy yourselves!

(Also, I'm very jealous of you TAPIF people, I did TAPIF during my gap year and miss it immensely. Profitez!!) 

Hi all,

I've lurked this thread for a long time and finally have something of my own to ask!  I have two interviews this week: CUNY and Columbia.  For anyone that's been through this before with either of these schools, any insight into what they'll ask and what I should expect?  

I am still waiting on Harvard, Stanford, Cornell, and NYU, and like others have noted, I haven't seen interview requests come through for any of those yet.  

Good luck to everyone waiting!  

Hi everyone,

I must confess that I too have been lurking on this feed... It's wild to think some of us might end up as classmates this fall! 

I applied to 6 programs, and I've received interview requests from UVA and NYU. Still waiting to hear on the other 4. NYU's interview is a quick 15 minute Skype call, and I'm hoping any of you who have interviewed with NYU in the past might be willing to share what the structure of the interview is like and what sort of things they ask? I'd also love to hear about what the UVA interview trip is like.

And has anyone heard from Berkeley? I noticed they usually notify the week after MLK but I haven't heard anything yet.

Good luck to everyone! I'm sure I'm not the only one excited to stop refreshing gmail every 30 seconds waiting for news.

@coucoumilou

I did not apply to Berkeley, but no one has posted any results so there is still plenty of hope! 

I also have an NYU interview next week, and the 15-minute time frame is somehow scarier than a 30-minute interview.  Columbia also said that theirs was 10-15 minutes, which seems like very little time to build a good impression.  So much pressure!  

No results or interviews posted from Stanford or Harvard yet, which is a little scary.  I think it might be safe to assume that if I hear nothing after this week from Stanford, I didn't receive an interview invite.  With Harvard it's less clear since their interview process seems somewhat inconsistent.  @madamoiselle I can't find anything in last year's thread about interviews for French at Harvard, did you interview there?  There is one result for an interview for Italian, but I would imagine that each language handles interviews separately.  

I haven't heard anything from Berkeley lately -- I did have a note from the department that they would be beginning their reviews in "early January," but it seems that some people (and this is a practice I've noticed on this forum) refer to dates around the 15th as still being "early," so perhaps the process is simply taking a bit longer.

Shorter interviews, like shorter pieces of writing, always pose a particular challenge, in that brevity is tied in with clarity. I have a twenty minute interview with Cambridge today, so I sympathize with everyone. 

@mfrostpunch I’ve applied to Columbia, Yale and Harvard. Still haven’t heard from Columbia, which is not a very good sign I guess since some people are already having interviews... But it seems like no one has heard from Yale yet and Harvard is always a bit later (though their deadline is December 1)

@coucoumilou 

yeah I'm waiting for Berkeley as well. I don't really expect to get accepted (my GPA is not nearly stellar enough lol) but no news from them yet. I wonder if they're taking longer this year? Seeing as how the deadline was dec. 3rd, I was expecting some results by now 

@Beeba @cafesociety @coucoumilou @trotskor (YAY BERKELEY APPS!) 

I just got an email from the grad head about participating in visiting days, so the ball should be rolling - our semester started super late this year, so that may be why they're a bit behind.

If you get admitted, please reach out to me with any questions you might have! Good luck, go bears!! ;)

Edited by madamoiselle

Hello everyone!

I applied to NYU, UC Berkeley, and UC Santa Barbara. I heard from NYU yesterday, also requesting a 15 minute Skype interview. Do you suppose it will be in French? I was planning on preparing to speak in French and English just in case. I'm not certain what to expect from a shorter interview, but I am excited for it! 

11 hours ago, LOiseauRouge said:

Hello everyone!

I applied to NYU, UC Berkeley, and UC Santa Barbara. I heard from NYU yesterday, also requesting a 15 minute Skype interview. Do you suppose it will be in French? I was planning on preparing to speak in French and English just in case. I'm not certain what to expect from a shorter interview, but I am excited for it! 

Congrats on the interview @LOiseauRouge!! My interview with Pitt was half french half english, but it probably depends on the school. I'd be prepared to speak French ?