New York, NY

I was just admitted in Columbia Grad School (happy!) and so, the search for the "perfect" apartment starts… I am a single student but I would like to live in a 1-bedroom apartment. If you don't have a partner, can you be assigned for a 1-bedroom apartment in Columbia housing?

Also, have you heard about International House? http://www.ihouse-nyc.org/It looks great based on their website, but I read some bad reviews on Yelp and now I have doubts...

Hi everyone - I am considering grad school at Columbia and want to get a general sense of how feasible it would be before agreeing to it. My long time friend, not romantic partner, is moving with me. I'm just starting to get this straight, but it looks like in order to rent an apartment you have to prove your income is 30-40x the monthly rent, and if not get a guarantor that lives in the area that makes 75-100x the monthly rent? That seems pretty impossible to me. How does this work for other full time students and young people? 

Hi everyone - I am considering grad school at Columbia and want to get a general sense of how feasible it would be before agreeing to it. My long time friend, not romantic partner, is moving with me. I'm just starting to get this straight, but it looks like in order to rent an apartment you have to prove your income is 30-40x the monthly rent, and if not get a guarantor that lives in the area that makes 75-100x the monthly rent? That seems pretty impossible to me. How does this work for other full time students and young people?

Columbia can probably serve as a guarantor, or assist in some other way, check with them. NYC school--and landlords--know the deal. Edited by Sabrosura

Yeah I wouldn't worry if you have a guarantor that can show proof on income (in some cases you may need two) and can show that you are attending school (if you receive any kind of stipend you can show that as well) they'll mostly approve you. 

Sabrosaura's post is absolutely correct. Anything earlier than 4 weeks out is too early unless we're talking campus housing. If you start looking in May, you need to be prepared to pay rent for June through August.

@rebekahh - There are two main federal sources for loans - federal Direct loans, which have an annual limit of $20,500, and then Graduate PLUS loans, which allow you to borrow up to the cost of attendance for a given school. So yes, you get more, and you can borrow enough to cover all of your living expenses. Hunter's tuition is crazy cheap so you would only have to borrow a little bit of Grad PLUS loans on top of the Direct loans to pay for your living expenses.

@ChiaraWieck - I think that theoretically it's possible, but realistically almost never happens. They have limited one-bedrooms so they try to save those for married couples and people with children. Really, unless you have unlimited resources or something, it's better to share an apartment anyway - it's cheaper. Also, yes, I have heard of I-House. I know a couple of peope who lived there and they all loved it.

@holykrp - The guarantor doesn't have to live in the area - my dad served as a guarantor for me and he lives in Atlanta. Many people get their parents or other relatives to serve as guarantors. My roommate and I both had one parent serve as a guarantor (my dad, her mom) and together they made 80x the rent of the entire apartment. Some people sublease apartments from people so they don't have to sign the lease themselves and meet the income requirements. And some landlords are willing to bend the requirements a bit, especially in lower-income neighborhoods like Harlem and Washington Heights and if you can prove that you have a source of income like a stipend or a student loan (or can pay several months up front). There's also a renters insurance company, Insurent, that will serve as a guarantor but you have to pay for it.

@Sabrosaura - I am almost certain that Columbia will not serve as a guarantor for students. That would mean that they would be on the hook if students don't pay rent, and they are most likely unwilling to do that for the thousands of graduate students they have. They do have an off-campus housing listing that you can use to find apartments, but they don't assist you with negotiating with landlords, securing funds for security deposits (other than the $500 emergency loan you can get from them) or guaranteeing apartments.

Hey folks - I just got accepted into Columbia so I will be moving into New York in the coming months. For those who know the area well, how is the the surrounding area of Columbia? Specifically, how is living in Harlem?

Edited by Secumax852

Hey folks - I just got accepted into Columbia so I will be moving into New York in the coming months. For those who know the area well, how is the the surrounding area of Columbia? Specifically, how is living in Harlem?

It depends. The area immediately surrounding Columbia isn't bad. The further out you get though, things start to get sketchy. Be careful and don't be stupid and you'll be fine.

Hi! I'll be moving to New York in September, and will need to live in Manhattan because of the combination of PhD acceptances my fiancé and I received. I've read almost this whole thread and found very useful information, thank you! I saw many of you mentioned Craigslist, but I've heard it may not be safe to rent an apartment that has been posted there. Are there any particular things I should look at before considering a Craigslist apartment? It would be great to avoid the broker's fee but I certainly don't want to be scammed! 

I have looked at maybe 20 places all from Craigslist since I've been in NYC with 99% good luck. You can avoid a broker's fee if you have time and patience, but keep in mind it may be worth it if you are already on staying in NYC for many years. The longer you stay in an apartment, the more "worth it" a broker's fee is. If you ONLY look at no-fee apartments, you are only going to be able to look at a very small percentage of apartments, and that can be stressful. That being said, I have only either subletted or rented no-fee apartments.

The best way not to be scammed is to come down here first and sublet a room or an apartment for two weeks. You can do this through Craigslist or AirBnB. That will give you plenty of time to make appointments, look at places, and sign a lease. Decide on your limit (say $1800) and search for places on Craigslist from $1400 to $1800. It's important to plug in the minimum number; that way, you won't be looking at what is listed as a 3 bedroom for $800 when it's really just one room IN a 3 bedroom, which is just wasting your time. 

A common scam-- you call a number in a listing with a great price point and seems like everything you need, and the person who answers the phone says "Oh, that one actually just got rented, but I have this other one---" Just say "No thanks," and hang up. Those people just put up listings that are too good to be true to lure you in and don't deserve your time.

Hi! I'll be moving to New York in September, and will need to live in Manhattan because of the combination of PhD acceptances my fiancé and I received. I've read almost this whole thread and found very useful information, thank you! I saw many of you mentioned Craigslist, but I've heard it may not be safe to rent an apartment that has been posted there. Are there any particular things I should look at before considering a Craigslist apartment? It would be great to avoid the broker's fee but I certainly don't want to be scammed! 

As for safety in the area surrounding Columbia - it's quite safe. Columbia is actually in Morningside Heights and the Upper West Side; it borders Harlem, but as of yet there only relaly only administrative buildings in Harlem -unless you are in the School of the Arts; I think there may be studio space up there. The southwestern part of Harlem that you're going to be close to is also pretty tame - I wouldn't call it sketchy. I lived in the area for 3 years (at 119th St, just south of Harlem) and of course was a student there for 6 years and I never felt unsafe walking in the vicinity of Columbia at night, and that includes on 125th St when I've been up there shopping or to the movies or something. Before that, I lived in Washington Heights - a neighborhood that I would say borders on sketchy sometimes - and I also felt safe there, too. Where things start to get sketchy is in central and East Harlem, I would say, east of Adam Clayton Powell/7th Ave. But that's far from Columbia (I mean, relatively speaking - it's not really easy walking distance...I mean, you won't accidentally wander there).

@surlefil - I found my first apartment on Craigslist and also one of my roommates that way (I listed it on CL when I needed to replace a vacating roommate). Lots of my friends have found listings on CL. It's totally safe; you just need to see the apartment with your own eyes first - or send a trusted friend to go, take pictures, and do an evaluation. New York landlords are pretty skilled at taking pictures from angles that make apartments look bigger/nicer than they are. Basically, if it sounds way too good to be true, it probably is.

I definitely agree with @higheredhopeful that a broker's fee is worth it if you can afford it and you know you will be in NYC for a long time (and 5-6+ years is a reasonably long time). If I were moving back to New York for a permanent job, I would hire a broker. That said, I've only ever rented no-fee apartments and very few of my friends have retained brokers when renting (I do have three friends who bought their apartments and of course used agents then).

I have looked at maybe 20 places all from Craigslist since I've been in NYC with 99% good luck. You can avoid a broker's fee if you have time and patience, but keep in mind it may be worth it if you are already on staying in NYC for many years. The longer you stay in an apartment, the more "worth it" a broker's fee is. If you ONLY look at no-fee apartments, you are only going to be able to look at a very small percentage of apartments, and that can be stressful. That being said, I have only either subletted or rented no-fee apartments.

The best way not to be scammed is to come down here first and sublet a room or an apartment for two weeks. You can do this through Craigslist or AirBnB. That will give you plenty of time to make appointments, look at places, and sign a lease. Decide on your limit (say $1800) and search for places on Craigslist from $1400 to $1800. It's important to plug in the minimum number; that way, you won't be looking at what is listed as a 3 bedroom for $800 when it's really just one room IN a 3 bedroom, which is just wasting your time. 

A common scam-- you call a number in a listing with a great price point and seems like everything you need, and the person who answers the phone says "Oh, that one actually just got rented, but I have this other one---" Just say "No thanks," and hang up. Those people just put up listings that are too good to be true to lure you in and don't deserve your time.

Great! Thank you so much. $1800 would be absolutely ideal, but I wonder if it is possible to get something decent with that price. I would like to live (if it’s possible) near Penn Station... We'll see.

@surlefil - I found my first apartment on Craigslist and also one of my roommates that way (I listed it on CL when I needed to replace a vacating roommate). Lots of my friends have found listings on CL. It's totally safe; you just need to see the apartment with your own eyes first - or send a trusted friend to go, take pictures, and do an evaluation. New York landlords are pretty skilled at taking pictures from angles that make apartments look bigger/nicer than they are. Basically, if it sounds way too good to be true, it probably is.

Thanks!

Great! Thank you so much. $1800 would be absolutely ideal, but I wonder if it is possible to get something decent with that price. I would like to live (if it’s possible) near Penn Station... We'll see.

Yeah, sorry, the only thing you'll find for $1800 in Manhattan near Penn Station will be a closet with a shared bathroom and a bunsen burner for cooking--if you're lucky.

You can find plenty of nice studios and minimal one-bedrooms for $1800 in places on the A/C/E line which goes to Penn Station like Long Island City in Queens (~20 min commute to Penn Station) or parts of Brooklyn like Clinton Hill/Bed Stuy (~30 min commute to Penn Station).

Uh, I don't think you actually want to live near Penn Station, lol. You just want easy access to Penn Station. But if you live on the A/C/E or 1/2/3 you can get to Penn Station pretty quickly. When I lived in Wash Heights I lived on both lines and it took me 30-40 minutes to get to Penn Station depending on the train traffic.

I have checked out Zenly before and they do not list affordable apartments. They don't list anything above 96th St (so no Harlem and Wash Heights/Inwood) or outer boroughs, and right now the cheapest apartment they have on there is a seriously tiny $1750 studio in the Upper East Side. It's tiny even by New York standards.

Hi 

I will be moving in NYC from outside US this fall. Hence I will have to find and finalize an apartment before I actually move in US. Can some one tell me how to avoid pitfalls in this situation.

Also I have been looking at craigslist. Can some one explain to me about how much the broker fee is or an estimate of it.

thanks 

Scenario: Teacher's College student, family of six (small children), willing to commute by public transportation, desiring cheap-safe location

Suggestions?

:)

If this is a pipe-dream let me know. I am assuming it will be too difficult/expensive to study there for my family and I, but I don't know the area at all.

Thank you.

I'll be moving to NYC to attend Columbia in the fall, but my boyfriend is coming with me so I don't think we'll qualify for CU housing. Ideally we would like a 1-bedroom under $2400, and preferably in Morningside Heights or nearby in the Upper West Side. (A 20-min commute or less would be ideal - I don't mind the idea of a subway ride but I'd rather not have to walk long distances in winter.) Any recommendations? Does this seem doable, or should I be looking in other areas? 

Hey there,

I am going to CUNY (The Graduate Center) for my PhD and I really do not know anything about housing. The only thing I have looked into (at least a little bit) is the graduate housing they offer. I do not understand the location that it is in, and I wonder if there are cheaper alternatives (like no more than $950 w/ heat and hot water a month... if possible... but I'll do my best to deal with a slightly higher price). I am willing to commute like 1 hr...if that is not too crazy.

I just ...need help lol.

I'd prefer to live in quieter places ....so I am not sure if I want to live RIGHT in Manhattan ...I like cities in the sense that I like having grocery stores close by ...which won't be hard???? idk... I am browsing through this thread and I am so confused...)

EDIT:: WAIT!!!??? Is it possible to live in NJ and commute to Manhattan that takes within an hour and a half? I know they say it's really annoying to commute far... but I really cannot afford Manhattan.

and I am so looking for a roommate...

I do not have a car at all... won't be getting one.

Edited by ravyn

Hey everyone!

So I have been accepted for a master's degree at NYU and I was looking for accommodations. But the thing is, I will be paid $2000 in total for my living expenses, and therefore accommodation looks pretty difficult for me right now. What do you think about whether I would be able to find a room in a shared flat for $600-$800? Or, what would you recommend? A single room would be enough for me, I am pretty much used to living with people, but I just don't want the place to be further than 45 minutes to the school. I'm an international, so I am pretty new about on this stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone!

So I have been accepted for a master's degree at NYU and I was looking for accommodations. But the thing is, I will be paid $2000 in total for my living expenses, and therefore accommodation looks pretty difficult for me right now. What do you think about whether I would be able to find a room in a shared flat for $600-$800? Or, what would you recommend? A single room would be enough for me, I am pretty much used to living with people, but I just don't want the place to be further than 45 minutes to the school. I'm an international, so I am pretty new about on this stuff.

Thanks in advance!

You can get a room in a shared apartment in Queens / Brooklyn for 600-800.

As you are international hence you should have a trusted friend in NYC who could go and visit the place before you rent it. Follow the proper guide to save yourself from the scams if you are an international student and will only be entering US in August.

Scenario: Teacher's College student, family of six (small children), willing to commute by public transportation, desiring cheap-safe location

Suggestions?

:)

If this is a pipe-dream let me know. I am assuming it will be too difficult/expensive to study there for my family and I, but I don't know the area at all.

Thank you.

The Teachers College actually offers family housing in a safe neighborhood, but it's $7500 - $9000 per semester -- I'm unsure if that's okay for your budget. If I could ask, how much would you be able to spend each month?

I'll be moving to NYC to attend Columbia in the fall, but my boyfriend is coming with me so I don't think we'll qualify for CU housing. Ideally we would like a 1-bedroom under $2400, and preferably in Morningside Heights or nearby in the Upper West Side. (A 20-min commute or less would be ideal - I don't mind the idea of a subway ride but I'd rather not have to walk long distances in winter.) Any recommendations? Does this seem doable, or should I be looking in other areas? 

For what it's worth, the 116th St. subway station is located right outside of the gates of the Morningside Heights campus. So long as your apartment is within comfortable walking distance from a subway station, you'll never need to worry about a long walk. I bring this up because $2400 is pushing the limit for an apartment near Columbia, and so you may want to look into more affordable neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn. You can also look around Harlem, too -- it's closer to Morninside Heights, and the rental rates seem to be within your range (though they'll definitely be shooting up soon).

EDIT:: WAIT!!!??? Is it possible to live in NJ and commute to Manhattan that takes within an hour and a half? I know they say it's really annoying to commute far... but I really cannot afford Manhattan.

and I am so looking for a roommate...

I do not have a car at all... won't be getting one.

You can definitely commute from New Jersey to Manhattan on a daily basis -- a lot of my professors do it, and so do some friends. I bet you've already looked into it, but the PATH trains run from as far west as Newark, NJ up to 33rd St. in Manhattan. It's a short walk from the 33rd St. station to the CUNY Graduate Center. You can look up the station locations and schedules here: http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html