New York, NY

I think any kind of sneakers will do. You'll see New Yorkers walking around in all kinds of shoes. Personally, I prefer light shoes so I'm usually wearing Keds or ballet flats in the spring, summer, and fall; in the mid-to-late fall I start mixing in some riding boots, booties, or wear tights with my flats. In the winter I usually wear boots or booties - Uggs particularly when it's cold. You will want a good pair of waterproof shoes for days when it rains; I have a pair of rain boots.

I will say, though, that I pretty much stopped wearing most heeled shoes in the city. You walk so much that it's simply not practical unless heels are very comfortable to you.

Thank you @juilletmercredi 

I went to Target in Harlem (I think??), and I know I can get basically everything an average joe would need there. However, I don't find Target to be all THAT cheap, but it's good. At least I know that I can get to it.

I decided to explore and went to 110th street and Madison (I think??) in Manhattan and I found a really cool grocery store. I liked it and I think I will do grocery shopping there. I think it's called NYC Fresh Market. Do any of you know about it? Do you like shopping there?

However I wanted to know if there is an alternative. Is there a cheaper store that sells good groceries in Manhattan? I went to one on a different street and did not like it at all. I highly doubt I'd go there again.

Also, is it just better/cheaper to do groceries online? I am trying to make sure I pick the frugal option without eating unhealthy food all that much, since unhealthy food is the cheapest option.

Let me know if I am asking too many questions and should ...just stop =P

Also, let me know if this question has been asked before and answered (and then link it to me). I've browsed through this thread more than once before and I don't remember coming across such a question. I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Edited by ravyn

@ravyn- I'm due up for some grocery shopping.  I'm all about Instacart and having the food delivered.  

I find Fairway to be reasonably priced w/ a mix of conventional and organic options.  There's one in Harlem (west) and another on the Upper West Side.  You can either go in or get delivery via Instacart.

I'm not familiar w/ NYC Fresh Market.  I'll have to check it out.

Yup, you got it...the Target you went to is in East Harlem.

ETA: I'm a native NYer (who has been away for a few years) and I just learned about a grocery store from you.  I think you're finding your way around town just fine! 

Edited by Chai_latte

Hello there,

A question to international students studying at Columbia. I wanted to ask how long did it take for you to get your I-20 forms? I know that on the official site it is stated that processing time is 4 weeks, but I heard that actually it takes a shorter period of time. I am facing an issue of not arriving at on time as my scholarship provided financial statement only today (even though I got accepted in April). Also, are there any students who arrived late (1-2 weeks)? Was it allowable and what kind of penalty you faced?

I don't think there will be any penalty at all as long as you arrived before the "report date" on your I-20. 

Considering it's been very late, you should push your university for expedited processing. I think they will understand this and your report date will be adjusted accordingly (after the term starts).
Once you get your I-20, immediately apply for visa. Expedited visa processing is usually available.

Edited by Maxtini

• 6 months later...

hi everyone, hopefully this is the right topic

im coming for an interview soon to new york med and I'll be arriving at la guardia. whats the best way to get there and where should i stay? im looking for a cheap hostel right now

however the trip from valhalla to new york med, acording to google maps, is 2 hours, including a 55 min walk? theres gotta be better ways to get there, 

help is appreciated 

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Dear friends,

I'm admitted by NYU and they give a ~27k stipend to live on. Please tell me the truth, if I want to live by my own (like, renting a studio or 1br + salon), I'll have to live in a very bad and far neighborhood or there is a possibility to find an apartment relatively close to campus? 

I've seen many interesting ads on craiglist, but I've got an impression that most of them are scams. How people search for an apt in NY? Which services are reliable? Should I contact the "student housing" organisations? 

Than you for any advice!

Hey Merivo,

The area around NYU is very expensive, and so if you are looking nearby it is unlikely that you will find something affordable. A studio in that area will run you about $2000 a month before utilities, which is also roughly what you will be receiving monthly for your stipend. There are cheaper options (my cousin is also a PhD at NYU and found a good deal with a roommate in the East Village, which is not too far from NYU), but you would need a roommate to make it affordable off your stipend.

If you really want to live alone you can look at apartments in the outer boroughs. I personally recommend Queens, especially Astoria, Sunnyside, and Long Island City since you can get to NYU pretty easily from those areas using public transportation. If you want a more Jewish community, I recommend looking in Bushwick in Brooklyn or Forest Hills in Queens (I noticed your graduate schools were focused on Judaic studies, I hope I am not being presumptuous).

9 hours ago, kimmibeans said:

Hey Merivo,

The area around NYU is very expensive, and so if you are looking nearby it is unlikely that you will find something affordable. A studio in that area will run you about $2000 a month before utilities, which is also roughly what you will be receiving monthly for your stipend. There are cheaper options (my cousin is also a PhD at NYU and found a good deal with a roommate in the East Village, which is not too far from NYU), but you would need a roommate to make it affordable off your stipend.

If you really want to live alone you can look at apartments in the outer boroughs. I personally recommend Queens, especially Astoria, Sunnyside, and Long Island City since you can get to NYU pretty easily from those areas using public transportation. If you want a more Jewish community, I recommend looking in Bushwick in Brooklyn or Forest Hills in Queens (I noticed your graduate schools were focused on Judaic studies, I hope I am not being presumptuous).

No, you're right :)

Thank you very much for your advice! I'm going to leave Jerusalem so for me it's important to find a proper balance: I would not like to find myself in a "small Israel" (I'm trying to run away from "bigger Israel"), but to have a Jewish community nearby would be perfect. 

Thanks agian! 

Looks like this thread is a little neglected.

Anyway, who else got in to Sarah Lawrence? I got accepted, but I think we all know how expensive the area can be. 

@merivo

I would highly recommend looking around Queens, as recommended above. Long Island City is a dream to live in, but it is quickly rising in price. Rentals, however, in areas such as Sunnyside, Roosevelt, or even parts of Manhattan outside of the expensive parts (unfortunately right around NYU) will be much more affordable. My advice is to make sure that wherever you live (once you've narrowed down options) is near an EXPRESS train line. Be careful not to believe that "25 minutes to midtown" means that you will get to midtown Manhattan that quickly. Avoid having to take a bus to the train as well. Also, research crime rates in the neighborhoods. Most areas are pretty typical of NYC, but some parts are exclusive and, quite frankly, may be a bit racist.

I've lived here over 20 years- if you have any questions, feel free to message me directly. Good luck!

Hi @DJS! I was going to post this question on here for anyone to answer, but you seem to really know your stuff, given that you have lived in NYC for over 20 years (wow!).

So I'm freaking out just a little because my SO is planning on accepting an offer from NYU for the Fall. We would really like to live in Brooklyn and have heard great things from people who live there currently and have to commute to Manhattan on a daily basis. Our budget is $1500 per month and I have been able to find some great 1 bedroom/studio apartments for well under that price on Craigslist, which is awesome!

My question is, when do you advise we start looking at apartments and sign a lease?? Ideally, we would like to start looking in July and move-in in August (preferably early to mid). Is this too late?? Should we really start looking in May and sign a lease in May or June (we will be out of the country June 7-July 7). I am just really nervous about looking for apartments too late and August rolling around without anywhere to live! :o Your help is much appreciated and please ANYONE feel free to chime in as well!

@FeelTheBern

If I were you, I would look for apartments at the end of May (just look around, you don't need to commit). This will give you a sense of what is out there. Obviously make sure you visit, look inside closets, flush toilets etc. NYC is awesome to live in, but not just to live in for the sake of being a New Yorker. Use your weekends to check places out. my recommendation is if you find a place you fall in love with, swallow the cost of an extra month's rent because you will kick yourself down the line.

That being said, please make sure that you are on the train line! Don't plan on walking or taking the bus for 20 minutes to get the subway. Something always go wrong!

If you want to PM me when you're looking at neighborhoods, I am more than happy to give my opinion where relevant :)

Hi all! I was recently accepted into Columbia's MPH program and I'm trying to get a feel for the areas around the medical campus on 168th. I've looked at the surrounding neighborhood in Washington Heights as well as Inwood, which both seem like good affordable options. I'm curious to hear if anyone here currently lives in those neighborhoods and what their experience has been. Washington Heights seems very residential and family oriented, which is nice, to be somewhat removed from the bustle of other areas. I haven't had the chance to check out Inwood- does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Also, I know this is a NY thread, but is there anyone here who lives across the GW Bridge in Jersey, specifically Fort Lee? I've heard it's also a nice residential area and it doesn't seem too far from Washington Heights, so I wanted to see if anyone knew much about the commute and if that option is worth exploring further.

Edited by moonwave11

Hi. I got into a MA anthropology program with 25% funding. I don't have really any money saved up at the moment, so I'd have to borrow a hunk of money for tuition and living expenses. Is there affordable housing in "The Village?" I'm from a small village of around 3,000 people in the Midwest.

Hi everyone! Just accepted to Columbia TC for a PhD, and (even though it's wicked early) I'm starting to look around for places to live. I'd like to stay around Inwood/Harlem/Washington Heights, for convenience, but I'm open to other neighborhoods. I'm in Philly now, and I don't have any feelings about "safety" in the city. I had dreams of living alone, but I'm slowly letting those dreams go. I do have two cats, which means that Columbia grad housing is out. /: Nice to meet you all! 

On 3/8/2016 at 11:46 AM, moonwave11 said:

Hi all! I was recently accepted into Columbia's MPH program and I'm trying to get a feel for the areas around the medical campus on 168th. I've looked at the surrounding neighborhood in Washington Heights as well as Inwood, which both seem like good affordable options. I'm curious to hear if anyone here currently lives in those neighborhoods and what their experience has been. Washington Heights seems very residential and family oriented, which is nice, to be somewhat removed from the bustle of other areas. I haven't had the chance to check out Inwood- does anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Also, I know this is a NY thread, but is there anyone here who lives across the GW Bridge in Jersey, specifically Fort Lee? I've heard it's also a nice residential area and it doesn't seem too far from Washington Heights, so I wanted to see if anyone knew much about the commute and if that option is worth exploring further.

23 hours ago, jlt646 said:

Hi everyone! Just accepted to Columbia TC for a PhD, and (even though it's wicked early) I'm starting to look around for places to live. I'd like to stay around Inwood/Harlem/Washington Heights, for convenience, but I'm open to other neighborhoods. I'm in Philly now, and I don't have any feelings about "safety" in the city. I had dreams of living alone, but I'm slowly letting those dreams go. I do have two cats, which means that Columbia grad housing is out. /: Nice to meet you all! 

Washington Heights is a great option for Columbia students.  Many of my Columbia friends live there and it's a very easy commute on the A/1.  Inwood is a bit further out and not quite as nice but still gets the job done.  Washington Heights really varies street by street imo, but it's definitely residential, there's plenty of your basic needs around and the express trains get you to midtown in 20 minutes, so that's a plus.

I'm currently in my third year of undergrad and looking into grad school for English/Literature. My GPA isn't very impressive (3.5 cumulative, but got a 3.2 last quarter that I'm hoping to bring up this quarter), but I have some publication credits (creative writing) and delivered a paper at an academic conference last year. I've taken a few practice GREs and got a 160 in the verbal section, and a 4 in the written (which I'm also hoping to bring up, as I've only taken that section once). I currently go to one of the top two UCs. I'm trying to find PhD programs, and the ones appealing to me right now are UC Santa Cruz and NYU, given their funding levels. My primary interest in literature is in American literature since 1920, particularly poetics, and particularly in doing research on mental illness in literature. However, I haven't been able to find out very much about NYU's English PhD program online. Does anyone here have any information about what kinds of candidates they select, or if there's anything I can do to better myself for application season? I'm particularly worried about my GPA given my slump last quarter. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for other programs I should look into with my stats/research interests? Thank you! I apologize if this is in the wrong section. 

Edited by djsalinger

Hi guys,

I got accepted to NYU Tisch for September and my girlfriend and I are considering moving to NYC for the two years. I would really appreciate all advice and help on this question since it is going to determine whether I go to Tisch or not.

Is it realistic at all to find a 1 bedroom apartment (Queens, Brooklyn, doesn't matter as long as the commute to NYU is 30-45 minutes by subway and the neighborhood is decent) where we can live with a rent and utilities budget of $1000-$1200? I realize there are always good deals to be found if you search well enough but I don't want to get my hopes up if living semi-comfortably with that housing budget is impossible. 

I would prefer to live in NYC and not New Jersey but if the above is impossible, can it be achieved in New Jersey?

Thank you so much. I really look forward to some advice.

5 hours ago, Shahed_d said:

Hi guys,

I got accepted to NYU Tisch for September and my girlfriend and I are considering moving to NYC for the two years. I would really appreciate all advice and help on this question since it is going to determine whether I go to Tisch or not.

Is it realistic at all to find a 1 bedroom apartment (Queens, Brooklyn, doesn't matter as long as the commute to NYU is 30-45 minutes by subway and the neighborhood is decent) where we can live with a rent and utilities budget of $1000-$1200? I realize there are always good deals to be found if you search well enough but I don't want to get my hopes up if living semi-comfortably with that housing budget is impossible. 

I would prefer to live in NYC and not New Jersey but if the above is impossible, can it be achieved in New Jersey?

Thank you so much. I really look forward to some advice.

Yes, you can find one-bedrooms at that rate, especially further out in BK or Queens.  Mostly studios, though.  I have a 2-bedroom right now for $1800/month and I live about 30 minutes from NYU in Brooklyn (not an NYU student though).

Edited by Heather1011

Hi guys,

I am already a student in NYC (in a PhD program for speech language and hearing). I was wondering what places are okay (meaning the place isn't super run down/bad plumbing with rats/bug issues) with a budget of NO MORE THAN $950 a month (meaning that everything combined... utitlies, hot water, heat/air conditioning and internet... will add up to at most this amount).

I plan on trying to find a place with a friend/building mate that I met this year (this person is in the first year of a PhD program in sociology). We don't mind if we end up living with a third person.

Do you guys think it's doable with such a budget or am I doomed?

7 hours ago, ravyn said:

Hi guys,

I am already a student in NYC (in a PhD program for speech language and hearing). I was wondering what places are okay (meaning the place isn't super run down/bad plumbing with rats/bug issues) with a budget of NO MORE THAN $950 a month (meaning that everything combined... utitlies, hot water, heat/air conditioning and internet... will add up to at most this amount).

I plan on trying to find a place with a friend/building mate that I met this year (this person is in the first year of a PhD program in sociology). We don't mind if we end up living with a third person.

Do you guys think it's doable with such a budget or am I doomed?

Yes, it's doable, but you can't be too picky about where you live.  Further out into Brooklyn/Queens, or in "bad" neighborhoods, you can get waaaaay cheaper than that.  When I first moved to NYC, I lived in Bath Beach/Bensonhurst, which is a lovely enough area, and I paid $600/month including utilities.  It just took over an hour to get places in Manhattan.  I currently pay a little more than 950 in my place much closer to Manhattan, but my roommate pays less, about what you want to pay.

Edited by Heather1011

Hey everyone! I just wanted to post to see if there is anyone on here looking for roommates who are planning on moving to the city this summer. My boyfriend and I are looking for a cool person/people to share a 2 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment with in NYC (preferably near Greenwich Village or in Brooklyn). If interested please private message me :)

On 3/20/2016 at 7:12 PM, Heather1011 said:

Yes, you can find one-bedrooms at that rate, especially further out in BK or Queens.  Mostly studios, though.  I have a 2-bedroom right now for $1800/month and I live about 30 minutes from NYU in Brooklyn (not an NYU student though).

Thanks Heather,

Do you know what neighborhoods specifically in BK or Queens would be best to try and look for a 1000-1200 1br (not studio) in? Trying to figure the neighborhood with the right balance of affordability and commute to NYU, so just looking for an idea of how far away from Brooklyn Heights and Williamsburg you have to get before you start finding apartments in that range. 

Also, does anybody have recommendations on how to convince landlords to rent to two people who are new in town and thus have no proof on income from NYC? My girlfriend's brother lives in Manhattan and is well off, would that kind of a co-signer, plus proof of my school grants and loans, plus some savings in the bank suffice? I've been reading that you really want to have your application together in order to grab something quick, so I'm trying to get an idea of what people that are just moving into town need to be able to close a deal.

One last thing, what is the best way to find apartments once you've decided on budget, neighborhood, etc. Is to just go looking around for signs? Any good websites? Or should I just go to an agency? I'm also a bit mystified by the broker-fee concept, do they take SO MUCH money that people are just reluctant to use them? I feel like it would be a worthwhile expenditure if they didn't take more than 500-1000 dollars to close a deal.

I know that's a lot of questions but I've been really getting a lot from reading the forums on this website. Thanks to everyone who has been so willing to help the newbies.