New York, NY

2 hours ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

BUMP

Any tips on the housing search?

I'm not familiar with NYU specifically, so I'll just speak to general NYC apartment hunting. It's possible NYU has a dedicated off campus housing website where you can find apartments and also roommates. I've also personally had decent luck with (believe it or not) Facebook groups. Look up Gypsy Housing and there might be a group for NYU students as well. A lot of the posts are sublets but there's a decent number of people looking to fill rooms in apartments they already have which is great because you can avoid a broker fee! NYU is also in a decent location which makes it not so difficult to commute from cheaper places like Brooklyn, Queens, or even Jersey City. The subway and buses are super convenient, but check out future construction schedules (definitely avoid living near the L, as it's going to be completely shut down for repairs starting early next year). 

On 3/22/2018 at 4:33 PM, gallimimus said:

It's possible NYU has a dedicated off campus housing website where you can find apartments and also roommates.

They do but no one really uses it, so I wouldn't rely on it.

@TooExcited&Nervous You're probably already aware of this but you will not find housing near NYU that is affordable, unless you're independently wealthy. One tip I do have is to keep in mind the train lines that go to NYU and look in the areas of Brooklyn, Queens, upper Manhattan, and the Bronx that are serviced by those lines. The N/Q/R/W, 4/5/6, A/C/E, and B/D/F/M are the main lines you wanna be looking at (these will get you to either 14th St-Union Square, 8th St-NYU, Astor Place, or West 4th St, which are all walkable to NYU). (Like @gallimimus mentioned, avoid the L.)

Edited by deshypothequiez

Hi all,

I am an NYU graduate that studied international relations and French literature. I will be applying for graduate programs this fall.

I'm currently looking for a roommate to rent a private room in my two-bedroom apartment in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. I would prefer a roommate who is in a grad program or looking to apply to one. The apartment is close to the Utica Ave stop and rent is $988/month. The apartment is quite spacious, and the private room measures 15 by 12 feet. Please get in touch with me if you or anyone you know might be interested.

1.jpg

4.jpg

HI everyone,

I'm moving to NYC this week for a grad program at Columbia (living in the Morningside Heights neighborhood), and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for places to shop around the area that are similar in price to Walmart? I'm basically starting from scratch for my apartment and need kitchen stuff, cleaning supplies, etc. right away. I also have a tight budget, hence the need for Walmart-like stores where I can pick up everything I need. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

On 5/16/2018 at 12:15 PM, maria24 said:

HI everyone,

I'm moving to NYC this week for a grad program at Columbia (living in the Morningside Heights neighborhood), and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for places to shop around the area that are similar in price to Walmart? I'm basically starting from scratch for my apartment and need kitchen stuff, cleaning supplies, etc. right away. I also have a tight budget, hence the need for Walmart-like stores where I can pick up everything I need. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

There's a Target in Harlem, but it's on the east side!