New York, NY

@unitstructures You should check the immigration status requirements for each housing program - there are a few programs out there including Section 8, mixed-income buildings, and public housing. I believe you can get any of those with a green card, but I'm not sure about student visa sort of things. Here's a good page to check out: http://www.newdestinyhousing.org/get-help/common-obstacles

And I mean, if you're going to be here awhile, and you find that you're eligible, why not? Best of luck!

I don't know much about CUNY but I've lived in New York for several years. Your best bet for reasonably affordable housing is to live either outside of Manhattan or in one of the less expensive areas in Manhattan, i.e. Washington Heights (though living in Manhattan is generally too busy/crowded for me). I'd recommend researching neighborhoods within your price range because crime stats are not necessarily the most reliable way to determine how safe a neighborhood is (i.e. Times Square has a high crime rate just because it's full of people/tourists)... but NYC is a pretty safe city. Look at what train(s) you'd be taking to class to see what neighborhoods might be good for you. You can definitely find plenty of apartments online through StreetEasy, Naked Apartments, PadMapper, Listings Project, etc. Parking in NYC is mad expensive in Manhattan but I know people who use their cars to drive around the outer boroughs. Best of luck :)

Edited by emilyf413

5 hours ago, emilyf413 said:

@unitstructures You should check the immigration status requirements for each housing program - there are a few programs out there including Section 8, mixed-income buildings, and public housing. I believe you can get any of those with a green card, but I'm not sure about student visa sort of things. Here's a good page to check out: http://www.newdestinyhousing.org/get-help/common-obstacles

And I mean, if you're going to be here awhile, and you find that you're eligible, why not? Best of luck!

Many thanks for that link, which has other links for housing search. It definitely gives me a better idea of property market. It seems a studio for around 1200 is not entirely impossible, if I choose that over a short commute. Perhaps I will...

On 2/27/2017 at 9:58 PM, machinescholar said:

You should receive an email from Columbia about Graduate Housing Application or you can also check out here: http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/how-apply

In general, graduate housing in the main campus (116th Street) is reserved for PhD and Post-Doc so if you are a MA student, you may want to search for off campus alternatives.

Follow up on this question - I also may be going to Columbia for a PhD program. Do PhD students typically get graduate housing? How is the graduate housing? How is the price/quality compared to off campus housing?

On 3/9/2017 at 6:03 PM, lpminp said:

Follow up on this question - I also may be going to Columbia for a PhD program. Do PhD students typically get graduate housing? How is the graduate housing? How is the price/quality compared to off campus housing?

I've heard that grad housing chances are high/guaranteed for the first five years. Looking at the housing website, though, those prices are more or less market value for NYC. Maybe more expensive than market value, even, given that they come with crappy furniture.

I'm also considering Columbia for a PhD program. In a few months, I'll probably start searching for a roommate for off-campus housing.

Hi all!

I'm an international student, who's going to be attending NYU (engineering) this fall. Unfortunately we don't have on-campus housing.

How would you suggest I go about searching for housing? I won't be able to come to the city till mid-August, but I can't really put off finding a house till then. Is it wise to go for a house without taking a look at it physically? (obviously no, right?)

Has anyone else been in my boat?

I have an offer from Stony Brook University, and I want to know how the area is. Since, I am an international student, I am not able to attend the visit day to get to know the area in advance.

Any suggestions on the housing issues? Many thanks!

Chiming in, I'll also be looking for a roommate(s) in the fall. If anyone is here is chill, queer/trans-affirming, on a budget, and likes cats hmu. I'll be starting the religious studies PhD at Columbia and am looking into living in Inwood or Hudson Heights area maybe. ♡

I'm also making the move to NYC this summer, and I have several friends up there who have given me great advice. It's definitely a quick market, so in-person apartment hunting is ideal, but you can probably do online shopping if you have to (which is often more feasible for students moving up there). Train lines are important when determining what neighborhood to live in; one neighborhood might technically be closer to your campus, but if you have multiple transfers, that can tack a lot of time onto your commute. If you're looking for roommates, Facebook can actually be a great resource; Non-Gypsy Housing has ads for both lease takeovers and roommates needed in already established leases, which can help with the whole "most landlords want you to make 40x rent" deal. There's also Gypsy Housing, which is essentially the same set-up but is limited to artists.

I'll be starting Performing Arts Administration at NYU in the fall, and would love to meet other future students! I'll probably be looking for roommate(s) as well, but I'lm likely moving up in June/July as opposed to August.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2017 at 1:51 AM, katusinterruptus said:

Chiming in, I'll also be looking for a roommate(s) in the fall. If anyone is here is chill, queer/trans-affirming, on a budget, and likes cats hmu. I'll be starting the religious studies PhD at Columbia and am looking into living in Inwood or Hudson Heights area maybe. ♡

I no longer live in NYC, but I did for several years and I found a few sublets on the Queer Housing Facebook page. I'd check it out! My sublets were temporary since I had a friend I wanted to live with and was just waiting for her lease to run out, but my partner lived with people from QH for over a year. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I'm also moving to NYC in August to start at Columbia (Teachers College specifically). A few people have asked about Washington Heights on this thread but I haven't seen too many responses. Can anyone chime in about what Washington Heights is like? On paper, it seems very affordable for Manhattan, close to Columbia by train, and more likely to have amenities like a parking spot and in-unit laundry. On the flip side, I've heard complaints about rampant cat-calling, rats everywhere, and noisy streets at night. Is this all true or am I getting bad/outdated info? If it matters, I'm 25, female, and living with my boyfriend.

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

BUMP

Any tips on the housing search?

I'm not familiar with NYU specifically, so I'll just speak to general NYC apartment hunting. It's possible NYU has a dedicated off campus housing website where you can find apartments and also roommates. I've also personally had decent luck with (believe it or not) Facebook groups. Look up Gypsy Housing and there might be a group for NYU students as well. A lot of the posts are sublets but there's a decent number of people looking to fill rooms in apartments they already have which is great because you can avoid a broker fee! NYU is also in a decent location which makes it not so difficult to commute from cheaper places like Brooklyn, Queens, or even Jersey City. The subway and buses are super convenient, but check out future construction schedules (definitely avoid living near the L, as it's going to be completely shut down for repairs starting early next year). 

On 3/22/2018 at 4:33 PM, gallimimus said:

It's possible NYU has a dedicated off campus housing website where you can find apartments and also roommates.

They do but no one really uses it, so I wouldn't rely on it.

@TooExcited&Nervous You're probably already aware of this but you will not find housing near NYU that is affordable, unless you're independently wealthy. One tip I do have is to keep in mind the train lines that go to NYU and look in the areas of Brooklyn, Queens, upper Manhattan, and the Bronx that are serviced by those lines. The N/Q/R/W, 4/5/6, A/C/E, and B/D/F/M are the main lines you wanna be looking at (these will get you to either 14th St-Union Square, 8th St-NYU, Astor Place, or West 4th St, which are all walkable to NYU). (Like @gallimimus mentioned, avoid the L.)

Edited by deshypothequiez

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am an NYU graduate that studied international relations and French literature. I will be applying for graduate programs this fall.

I'm currently looking for a roommate to rent a private room in my two-bedroom apartment in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. I would prefer a roommate who is in a grad program or looking to apply to one. The apartment is close to the Utica Ave stop and rent is $988/month. The apartment is quite spacious, and the private room measures 15 by 12 feet. Please get in touch with me if you or anyone you know might be interested.

1.jpg

4.jpg

HI everyone,

I'm moving to NYC this week for a grad program at Columbia (living in the Morningside Heights neighborhood), and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for places to shop around the area that are similar in price to Walmart? I'm basically starting from scratch for my apartment and need kitchen stuff, cleaning supplies, etc. right away. I also have a tight budget, hence the need for Walmart-like stores where I can pick up everything I need. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

On 5/16/2018 at 12:15 PM, maria24 said:

HI everyone,

I'm moving to NYC this week for a grad program at Columbia (living in the Morningside Heights neighborhood), and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for places to shop around the area that are similar in price to Walmart? I'm basically starting from scratch for my apartment and need kitchen stuff, cleaning supplies, etc. right away. I also have a tight budget, hence the need for Walmart-like stores where I can pick up everything I need. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

There's a Target in Harlem, but it's on the east side! 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the redundant question, but I'm having trouble getting housing - I'm admitted to Pratt Institute in the Fall and has already tried to find housing in Gypsy Housing but still no luck. Anyone have any tips or other sources for affordable room? I'm moving to NYC this August and already frustrated due to the difficulty in securing a place near Manhattan (Brooklyn & Jersey City).

24 minutes ago, sugiku_ said:

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the redundant question, but I'm having trouble getting housing - I'm admitted to Pratt Institute in the Fall and has already tried to find housing in Gypsy Housing but still no luck. Anyone have any tips or other sources for affordable room? I'm moving to NYC this August and already frustrated due to the difficulty in securing a place near Manhattan (Brooklyn & Jersey City).

Hi! I know the struggle. I was an intern at the United Nations HQ in Manhattan not a long ago, and the house search got me crazy. I was also robbed of my deposit once. I found my final flat through some friends at the United Nations. I still have the contact of the landlord, a very nice and honest person, and he owns a whole building. But it's inside Manhattan, between Midtown East and UES (44th and 1st if I rember well), and he only has studios to rent. I don't know if that's an option for you. Let me know anyways if you want me to give you the contact. :)

Cheers, Isma

On 3/22/2018 at 2:04 PM, TooExcited&Nervous said:

BUMP

Any tips on the housing search?

Hey there!

I used the SpareRoom app. It took awhile to find a place because for every apt you apply to, 100 people are also applying. 

I also knew exactly where I wanted to live in Queens, so I was hyper vigilant about checking every day!

I haven’t read the whole thread but just in case it wasn’t mentioned, the L train is going to be shut down in early 2019... so Greenpoint may not be a good neighborhood. 

On 7/4/2018 at 3:52 PM, isma93 said:

Hi! I know the struggle. I was an intern at the United Nations HQ in Manhattan not a long ago, and the house search got me crazy. I was also robbed of my deposit once. I found my final flat through some friends at the United Nations. I still have the contact of the landlord, a very nice and honest person, and he owns a whole building. But it's inside Manhattan, between Midtown East and UES (44th and 1st if I rember well), and he only has studios to rent. I don't know if that's an option for you. Let me know anyways if you want me to give you the contact. :)

Cheers, Isma

Hi Isma93!

Thank you for the response, and messaged you!