New York, NY

Any advice for someone with 2 dogs thinking about moving to the city? They aren't "purse-dogs" either - 50 lbs. each, love to run and catch frisbees. I'm worried about finding an apartment where they'll be allowed, how to get them to the vet periodically, etc. I know there are people in NYC with big dogs, I just don't know how they manage! Leaving them behind is not an option, so any words of advice would be appreciated!

Most apartments have a weight limit, which is probably below the 50 lbs. Sometimes they will let you have the dogs if you pay an extra fee.

Along the lines of apartment-hunting, can anyone please recommend a good (cheap!) broker? I've never used one before; how exactly does the process work? When I was looking for an apartment here in Atlanta, I literally drove around the area where I wanted to live -- Midtown and Virginia Highlands, which luckily, is very homey and neighborhood-like with houses, small one- or two-level apartment buildings with a handful of units, kid-friendly, etc. -- and called the numbers on the signposts stuck in the front lawns or hanging on a wall. I assume that strategy wouldn't work so well in Manhattan? ;) I would love to have a place to live within a few days or a week of leaving Atlanta for the last time... is that even possible, or am I foolishly dreaming?

Along the lines of apartment-hunting, can anyone please recommend a good (cheap!) broker? I've never used one before; how exactly does the process work? When I was looking for an apartment here in Atlanta, I literally drove around the area where I wanted to live -- Midtown and Virginia Highlands, which luckily, is very homey and neighborhood-like with houses, small one- or two-level apartment buildings with a handful of units, kid-friendly, etc. -- and called the numbers on the signposts stuck in the front lawns or hanging on a wall. I assume that strategy wouldn't work so well in Manhattan? ;) I would love to have a place to live within a few days or a week of leaving Atlanta for the last time... is that even possible, or am I foolishly dreaming?

We used Charie Properties. They're a small company, and they may or may not be limited to one or two management companies above 96th St on the West Side. You'd have to look into that.

Anyway, our broker was a good guy. We weren't even planning on using one (hoping to avoid it, rather) but we found a great deal through them, off of Craigslist. The only thing, we had to pay the broker's fee up front, instead of tacked onto the rent, which I don't think is the usual protocol. It worked for our situation though.

If you're willing to do the legwork, though, you might be able to try doing it yourself in Manhattan. Originally we had a lot of high-flying ideas about going straight to building managers and avoiding brokers, but found a great deal through a broker and never put it to the test. The relationship between brokers and building management companies is odd here, and someone who knows more about real estate can tell you more.

Brooklyn rentals, I think, are still done mostly through owners and building managers.

There's another company that people I know use--Anchor--which is big. I think the trick is to find a good individual broker, since all of the companies have their ups and downs.

I would recommend finding a young broker, since their brokers' fees are usually below the usual 15%. The market is shifting ever so slightly in favor of the renter, and I think if you're fierce enough you can negotiate it down to 10%.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not terribly skilled at negotiating, but a friend of mine is fierce in that department and I could probably recruit her (with the promise that she'll always have a place to stay in NYC, of course, lol).

I'd be attending Teachers College of Columbia. Haven't said yes to the offer yet, but so far it's the only for-sure thing I have going!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not terribly skilled at negotiating, but a friend of mine is fierce in that department and I could probably recruit her (with the promise that she'll always have a place to stay in NYC, of course, lol).

I'd be attending Teachers College of Columbia. Haven't said yes to the offer yet, but so far it's the only for-sure thing I have going!

In that case, definitely look into the Columbia-owned grad student apartments. I know at a lot of schools they're a ripoff, but I think there it's a good deal. My sublet was $940/mo. for the largest bedroom in the apartment (double bed, desk, dresser and even a couch in the bedroom), utilities included, and each roommate paid the university individually, so if someone else was irresponsible with rent it didn't become my problem.

That being said, where I live now none of us are paying over $900 even after utilities, in roughly the same neighborhood as Columbia. So keep your options open.

In that case, definitely look into the Columbia-owned grad student apartments. I know at a lot of schools they're a ripoff, but I think there it's a good deal. My sublet was $940/mo. for the largest bedroom in the apartment (double bed, desk, dresser and even a couch in the bedroom), utilities included, and each roommate paid the university individually, so if someone else was irresponsible with rent it didn't become my problem.

That being said, where I live now none of us are paying over $900 even after utilities, in roughly the same neighborhood as Columbia. So keep your options open.

Thanks. A friend of mine who got her Ed.M. at the same school suggested doing otherwise, since it's possible to find cheaper places not involved with Columbia. But maybe I'll apply for housing anyway; I wouldn't be forced into taking it if I get an offer.

Thanks. A friend of mine who got her Ed.M. at the same school suggested doing otherwise, since it's possible to find cheaper places not involved with Columbia. But maybe I'll apply for housing anyway; I wouldn't be forced into taking it if I get an offer.

I should mention that the person I sublet from was international, and so were both of the roommates, so it's possible that this was a deal primarily for international students.

Good luck! Looking for an apartment in NY was a big pain, but there are gems out there.

Has anyone accepted at CUNY heard anything more about their funding? I saw 1 or 2 fellowship offers posted on gradcafe, but I'm wondering if they award them on some sort of rolling basis (the accept letter said "through March")? Anyone who has been accepted heard any details about their funding? I'd love to know sooner rather than later!

Side note: for those going to Columbia (TC or otherwise), they do offer services for students to assist in finding housing off-campus. Got to be better than going at it solo.

Someone else on another thread elsewhere had mentioned something about learning to avoid certain trains/subways, and that New Yorkers would know what that meant. I'm not a New Yorker, so could someone please tell me what that meant?? Thanks!

Side note: for those going to Columbia (TC or otherwise), they do offer services for students to assist in finding housing off-campus. Got to be better than going at it solo.

Someone else on another thread elsewhere had mentioned something about learning to avoid certain trains/subways, and that New Yorkers would know what that meant. I'm not a New Yorker, so could someone please tell me what that meant?? Thanks!

Well, I know from my own experience the 4/5/6 trains tend to be a lot whiter, often cleaner, most punctual, fewer service interruptions on the weekends or otherwise, and they're also the newer trains. They service the east side to the Bronx and I forget which one goes to Yankee Stadium. Mostly, I would say you avoid certain lines because they break down more often (this mostly applies to people living out in the boroughs, especially Queens). If you're going to Columbia though, it is a good idea to find your line (I think only the 2 or 1 stops at Columbia) and find something along that route. It saves an immense amount of commuting time, and perhaps this is what they meant?

Not true, to the poster above. Delays are equally possible on all subway lines. In Manhattan, all of the subways are safe to ride in the day time.

Most are alright at night also, but that depends on the location. The 1, which goes to Columbia, is certainly safe at all hours to ride.

to be "safe" on the subway, you really just need to use common sense.

namely, don't get on an empty/almost empty car late at night. the subway car can be its own little world so it's often better to have several different groups of people along with you if you're traveling alone.

if you're feeling especially paranoid, get in the car with the conductor/mta official - each train will have at least two (the driver at the front, and another guy somewhere in middle). you'll see what car this second guy is in because his head'll be poking out the window. if need be, you can knock on his door and at least you'll have "official" back up.

try not to fall asleep on the subway! hah, that might sound OBVIOUS, but you never really want to go past your stop, for convenience's sake.

if someone starts bothering you, get off at the next stop. ignoring them is the best option. if they're REALLY freaky, look for a police officer at the station; they're usually not hard to find.

I lived in LA for a couple of years, and will be moving to NYC at the end of the summer for school, so I am only half-informed on this. I would guess, however, that if you lived comfortably in LA on $27k, then you'll be fine in NYC on $32k. Of course, the main difference between the two cities that I'm assuming you'll have working in your favor is that you will no longer have the major costs associated with having to drive everywhere (LA), and will therefore be spending considerably less for transportation (hooray, NYC subways!). The rest depends on where you want/need to live, and what rent will be. I think general costs-of-living in the two cities are pretty similar, depending on where you are in LA.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'll most likely be headed to NYC next year. I'm currently in NJ so it's not a hassle at all for me to get in there and check out living spaces. My question is directed to those that have secured living in NYC. What have you done to acquire your current or future/past digs? Is there some source/method that is more reliable than others?

I'll be headed to the New School so I'll probably look for places in BK (thinking Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Park Slope), but I don't have money (esp. for a realtor) and if there's massively cheaper housing elsewhere, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

Eget, I'm in a similar situation - moving from Philly to most likely Brooklyn. The only source I know of for affordable shares is Craigslist, so I'm all over that. Good luck to both of us!

FYI, you can often avoid broker fees by going directly to the management company for a particular building. That's what I've done for my past two apartments-- I just couldn't handle the idea of paying a broker fee! My current management company is K & R Realty, but a quick googling will turn up a good list. Some buildings also have plaques out front that state the management company.

Another thing to consider: if you're at Columbia, you can find substantially cheaper rent if you look just east of Morningside park. I live on Frederick Douglass right now, a few blocks south of 125th street. My apartment is huge and gorgeous, in a new building, and I pay probably $300-$400 less than I would for a comparable space on the west side of the park. Yeah, you have to walk a few more blocks, but it's worth it. And while the area isn't as fancified, it's still completely safe, and there are some cool things nearby. There's a wine bar across the street from me, a few coffee shops, a couple of organic stores...all the yuppie conveniences. Oh, and I'm a 4-minute jog from Central Park.

Basically, I'm saying that you shouldn't be scared to venture out of the Columbia cocoon. New York is an extremely safe city, you just have to get used to it.

I just finished reading through this entire thread and want to thank everyone for their useful comments. I was accepted to an MA program at NYU for Fall 2009 and am interested in attending, but am a bit intimidated by the idea of finding housing remotely (from Chicago). I've read Brooklyn, Astoria, etc.... but what really is the best way for an NYU student to get started looking for housing???

Ideally, I'd rent a studio and live by myself but a roommate would do if necessary.

Thanks all!

I just finished reading through this entire thread and want to thank everyone for their useful comments. I was accepted to an MA program at NYU for Fall 2009 and am interested in attending, but am a bit intimidated by the idea of finding housing remotely (from Chicago). I've read Brooklyn, Astoria, etc.... but what really is the best way for an NYU student to get started looking for housing???

Ideally, I'd rent a studio and live by myself but a roommate would do if necessary.

Thanks all!

Hey there. I don't have a response to your question, but I'd just like to add that I'm also interested in finding out which areas would be ideal for NYU students. I'm planning on attending NYU Wagner in the fall, but I live in Texas at the moment...so I'm quite dumbfounded as to which step I should take first. I'd also like to live in a studio by myself, but I've been seeing prices between $2000 and $3000 for those, so maybe not? Ha.

For NYU students, I'd suggest looking for housing close to trains that you can take to campus. I have a friend from NYU who loves the N train so she looked in Sunset Park solely because it was serviced by the N. The A/C/E and B/D/F/V will also be good options for you. Living off an express stop is better than a local stop in my opinion. So that gives you the A and the B/D along with the N. Neighbourhood wise in Brooklyn, you have the option of Park Slope, Ft. Greene, Prospect Heights, and Sunset Park. Each of these neighbourhoods will be a 15-20 minute train commute to West 4th/8th Street stops.

For the person who inquired about living in a studio, I'm not sure how much you're expecting/able to spend on rent so it's hard to say but studios are expensive. In the neighbourhoods I mentioned, I doubt you'll find a studio under $1,000. I definitely haven't seen it if it exists. If you search studio in Brooklyn on Craigslist, it'll give you a range of prices. That would be a good place to start thinking about what you can afford. Then, you can figure out whether the neighbourhoods where those studios are will be desirable to you.

For NYU students, I'd suggest looking for housing close to trains that you can take to campus. I have a friend from NYU who loves the N train so she looked in Sunset Park solely because it was serviced by the N. The A/C/E and B/D/F/V will also be good options for you. Living off an express stop is better than a local stop in my opinion. So that gives you the A and the B/D along with the N. Neighbourhood wise in Brooklyn, you have the option of Park Slope, Ft. Greene, Prospect Heights, and Sunset Park. Each of these neighbourhoods will be a 15-20 minute train commute to West 4th/8th Street stops.

For the person who inquired about living in a studio, I'm not sure how much you're expecting/able to spend on rent so it's hard to say but studios are expensive. In the neighbourhoods I mentioned, I doubt you'll find a studio under $1,000. I definitely haven't seen it if it exists. If you search studio in Brooklyn on Craigslist, it'll give you a range of prices. That would be a good place to start thinking about what you can afford. Then, you can figure out whether the neighbourhoods where those studios are will be desirable to you.

Good advice all around, but the F train is bullshit. Especially at night.

Avoid having the F train be your only option, if possible.

I mean, if you find a great cheap place only serviced by the F train, take it. But just be prepared to wait 45 minutes for a train now and again (and again and again).

IMHO it would be totally worth it to find a roommate and live in a 2-bdrm one of the neighborhoods mentioned here. Ft. Greene and Prospect Heights are truly adorable, and, I only say this with the best intentions, remind me of Sesame Street. Park Slope is gorgeous but, again IMHO, annoyingly chic.

The great thing about New York is that people are always moving in and out, which means that if you look for "shared apartments" on craigslist, you are bound to find someone totally normal in a great apartment whose roommate just moved out, and needs a new roommate (ie, you!). Obvs there are a lot of freaks, but look into it.

for a studio/to live alone and still be in manhattan and still be accessible to nyu via 6 to astor place (or a more scenic route by bus) i would take a stab at the upper east side. there's a huge inventory of more reasonably priced rental apartments generally and prices are falling. you will not find something for <$1000 if that's what you are talking about but higher up you might come close (at least to what you would pay in one of the boroughs) and it could very well be worth it in my opinion. in any case, the market is such that you should totally negotiate no matter where you are looking (and keep in mind that folks with roommate situations they are trying to fill might be paying a higher rent for their apt than is market these days so it might end up being a kinda lame deal, even if still cheaper than a studio). also people are talking about the ny boroughs but parts of jersey city are nice too and if you are looking for something bigger for your $$ (not necessarily the cheapest thing going, but value) it might be worth looking into

also, for those of you talking about columbia on campus housing, i had a fantastic experience and the price was right HOWEVER i think my program got priority if i remember correctly. you should definitely look into it though.

just some thoughts.

Also, everyone keep in mind that we are in the midst of a recession. (Don't know if this was previously mentioned)

As a native NYCer, I can tell you that there was this mentality that even if everyone else has real estate go down, NYC will still go up and for the first few months of the recession this held true. Now prices are falling steeply (The NYTimes just wrote an article on this). My friends were able to renegotiate leases for a lot less and I have other friends that moved from studios to 1 bedrooms for only $20 more a month. This is definitely the time to shop, since you may be able to get something with a doorman.

Lastly, NYC has a lot of No Fee Brokers which may be invaluable for many of you. You may be better of with one if you don't have the best credit history or can only go to NYC for a few days to apt hunt. It is important to note that NYC is the most insane real estate market, so if you like the place you have to jump quickly because it may not be available for that much longer, however the recession is changing all the rules.

Long story short, it's a buyers market and you can definitely haggle a little.

For anyone who had to support themselves while going to school in NYC: how did you do it?

I will know next week about funding, but it could well be zilch. Current students have advised me that I will not have time to work during the day. Are there part-time jobs could I get at night* that would actually pay the bills? Is it even worth trying? Please DO tell me "no" if that's the answer, as I'm having silly New York dreams that need puncturing.

* Yes, stripping, I know, but my SO has vetoed it.