Trudeau 2019

Adelaide9216

Interesting! I am very curious what the changes might be. I don't have any inside information.

My personal criticism was that they are very hard to get! But that is part of what made them so desirable... 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 11:42 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

Does anyone know what were some of the elements of the public consultation that they are talking about regarding the changes to the Trudeau scholarship? 

They are talking about both consultation with any people/communities you intend to work with and general public consultation. If you are doing work with, for example, indigenous communities, it is important to have consulted with them that they want the research done in their community (they can deny you access to their community and then your research is not going to happen) and that you will consult and translate your research to the general public (if necessary) and the community or communities. That is what I have been told anyways with my application last year. I made it to the national competition but it is a difficult process.

7 minutes ago, SLBlais said:

They are talking about both consultation with any people/communities you intend to work with and general public consultation. If you are doing work with, for example, indigenous communities, it is important to have consulted with them that they want the research done in their community (they can deny you access to their community and then your research is not going to happen) and that you will consult and translate your research to the general public (if necessary) and the community or communities. That is what I have been told anyways with my application last year. I made it to the national competition but it is a difficult process.

This is common sense, IMO.

I don't know if I can make it to Trudeau, it appears that everyone that has won the award was the "director" or some sort of organization they founded or something. I've definetely had a lot of leadership positions in my life (and I still do), but I wonder if this is enough. 

I feel like Vanier is an easier process as compared to Trudeau.

Edited by Adelaide9216

Just now, Adelaide9216 said:

This is common sense, IMO.

I don't know if I can make it to Trudeau, it appears that everyone that has won the award was the "director" or some sort of organization they founded or something. I've definetely had a lot of leadership positions in my life (and I still do), but I wonder if this is enough. 

It may be. It all depends. I founded the History and Classics Truth and Reconciliation Student Committee, am Aboriginal, it honestly depends. You can make it to the national and get the Skype interview (which is super intense from what I've heard - they ask you a question, you are timed for formulating you response, and then have a timed response). Then there is the final interview in Montreal. One of my prof's students got it and she said it was the experience of a lifetime. 

I am not applying again because she also told me that her work got pulled in many directions between her supervisor, her vision, and her mentor. But she also said it was an amazing opportunity. 

But good luck. 

Just now, SLBlais said:

It may be. It all depends. I founded the History and Classics Truth and Reconciliation Student Committee, am Aboriginal, it honestly depends. You can make it to the national and get the Skype interview (which is super intense from what I've heard - they ask you a question, you are timed for formulating you response, and then have a timed response). Then there is the final interview in Montreal. One of my prof's students got it and she said it was the experience of a lifetime. 

I am not applying again because she also told me that her work got pulled in many directions between her supervisor, her vision, and her mentor. But she also said it was an amazing opportunity. 

But good luck. 

It also seems like common sense today, but it is a requirement because people don't always think it's necessary. I have noticed (just from looking at scientific studies historically), scientists have often left out the after consultation. 

Just now, SLBlais said:

It also seems like common sense today, but it is a requirement because people don't always think it's necessary. I have noticed (just from looking at scientific studies historically), scientists have often left out the after consultation. 

You are absolutely right about that. 

1 minute ago, SLBlais said:

Where are you applying (university)? 

1 minute ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Where are you applying (university)? 

I am in my 2nd year (candidacy year) at the University of Alberta - I have a fully funded program but they want you to apply for more scholarships. 

3 minutes ago, SLBlais said:

I am in my 2nd year (candidacy year) at the University of Alberta - I have a fully funded program but they want you to apply for more scholarships. 

Amazing. Yes, it's always good to apply for scholarships, that's what I've been doing since CEGEP (in Quebec).

I presented at ISA last week and was approached by Canadian faculty to apply for the Trudeau. To be honest I never considered it because I didn't think my research was compatible.

I am interested to see the new criteria. I am working to get nominated by my institution.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, high_hopes said:

Has anyone heard more on what the process will be for applying to the Trudeau this year?

I am eager to know what the deadlines will be and what the application process will be like. 

I haven't heard anything and my current university doesn't have any new information as well. I feel just like you, I'm curious to know what the changes will be.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems the statement on the Trudeau webpage has been updated a bit:

"The opening of the competition for the scholarship program will not follow the usual agenda and it will undergo changes.

We will be in touch in the coming months to unveil our new programming, including criteria and deadlines for the coming year. We thank you for your understanding and support. Stay tuned!"

Link: http://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/en/programs/doctoral-scholarships

1 hour ago, high_hopes said:

It seems the statement on the Trudeau webpage has been updated a bit:

"The opening of the competition for the scholarship program will not follow the usual agenda and it will undergo changes.

We will be in touch in the coming months to unveil our new programming, including criteria and deadlines for the coming year. We thank you for your understanding and support. Stay tuned!"

Link: http://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/en/programs/doctoral-scholarships

it's been like this for a while actually