Trudeau 2019

Adelaide9216

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I wonder when the criteria and deadlines will be announced :( 

So many possibilities. I wonder how dramatically it will change. Perhaps they might change who is eligible so much that they focus on applicants a different stage of their PhD? I'm totally projecting my fears onto the process though...

22 minutes ago, high_hopes said:

So many possibilities. I wonder how dramatically it will change. Perhaps they might change who is eligible so much that they focus on applicants a different stage of their PhD? I'm totally projecting my fears onto the process though...

Same 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

It seems like you need to be already accepted into the program in order to apply. My deadline for application is on January 15...

I still can't see any information about how it works this year? Last year it was the universities that forwarded candidates for consideration; it wasn't possible to apply directly to the Trudeau Foundation.

I wonder if the amount and duration of the award and the number of awards they will give out will stay the same. I am not sure, but I don't think that 3rd year PhD students were eligible last year, but it looks like they are eligible now.

5 minutes ago, high_hopes said:

I wonder if the amount and duration of the award and the number of awards they will give out will stay the same. I am not sure, but I don't think that 3rd year PhD students were eligible last year, but it looks like they are eligible now.

Yeah, It's a new criteria for 3rd year PhD students, I also noticed. 

The information is now on the website. It also looks like they are making a greater effort to promote bilingualism and to have selected scholars organize conferences. There also appears to be more flexibility in who your references are than last year. Good luck to everyone who is applying!

Edit: It also looks like the universities are much more restricted in the number of applications they can forward--it is only 4 for Canadian universities and 3 for international universities. If I remember correctly, last year Canadian universities could forward eight applications.

Edited by high_hopes

Yes, but they have increased the number of scholarships offered. (20 instead of 15).

I feel anxious because universities have to submit their candidates by February 22nd. and my deadline for phd admission is January 15. So I don't know when between January 16 and February 21st I will receive an admission decision because you need to be admitted in order to apply to Trudeau. :(

You can always apply the following year as well! :) And if you get it later then the funding will last longer through the program and not overlap as much with the SSHRC or Vanier. I would love to get the Trudeau this year because it would mean I could have an additional year of funding for my degree.

• 3 weeks later...

My prospective uni has an internal deadline at the end of January. I can't apply right now because I don't have an admission offer in my hands right now. But I am ready to apply.  It sucks but worst case, I try next year. I emailed my phd thesis advisor to know if he knows when admission decisions will be given. 

1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello, are scientific publications crucial to win this award? 

I don't think so: I think the emphasis is more on community-based leadership when looking at the profiles of previous winners and also what they emphasize in how they assess applications.

On 1/13/2019 at 4:09 PM, high_hopes said:

I don't think so: I think the emphasis is more on community-based leadership when looking at the profiles of previous winners and also what they emphasize in how they assess applications.

I am only missing one LOR to my application. I don't believe I'll get the award but it's still worth trying, who knows.