Geography 2019 Application thread

ponlear

Hi guys!

Wondering if anyone applied to SUNY Buffalo?  

I was told about a month ago that I would be nominated for a fellowship, however all that information has been slow to trickle out and I still haven't heard whether that is going to come through or not.

Then about an hour ago I got an email from the DGS that I was accepted! But it was just a generic "congratulations and welcome" email and did not include funding info.

Curious if anyone else has heard from Buffalo and what your experience has been??

Any folks heard back from University of Toronto yet? I believe as of today the admissions committee has met twice now. Wondering if any decisions have been made. I know they have at a few more meetings this month to continue reviewing applications so the acceptance letters might be coming out to us at different times depending on our international status and other factors. 

Still waiting to hear back from UCLA, though I've seen a few acceptances posted on the results page... Would it be safe to assume this is a rejection or waitlist? It seems in past years they've had rounds of decisions, so perhaps another one will be coming up. 

On 2/25/2019 at 3:30 PM, darkstar7072 said:

Hi guys!

Wondering if anyone applied to SUNY Buffalo?  

I was told about a month ago that I would be nominated for a fellowship, however all that information has been slow to trickle out and I still haven't heard whether that is going to come through or not.

Then about an hour ago I got an email from the DGS that I was accepted! But it was just a generic "congratulations and welcome" email and did not include funding info.

Curious if anyone else has heard from Buffalo and what your experience has been??

Hi, chiming in from the MFA forum. 

I was accepted to UB and have received TA and stipend info from my department. 

I talked to financial aid and they said fellowship, loan and University scholarship info outside of your department should be mailed out on April. 

Hope this helps!

Hi all, been lurking as well. 

I've seen a couple of acceptances on the results page for both CU Boulder (Masters & PhD) and University of Oregon (PhD). Anyone with insight into if they're done with acceptances/if there's a scheduled admitted student day for either of those programs? I know @marxistmaps above said they had no news from OSU/UO either... Especially wondering about CU Boulder though, they've had applications in hand since 12/1 and said late February/early March for decisions.

Masters applicant, applied:

• CU Boulder
  • UC Davis (admitted, no funding info)
  • Oregon State University
  • Portland State University
  • University of Oregon
  • University of Nevada, Reno

Might throw in an application at SFSU for the 4/1 deadline if I haven't heard more from any of the other schools next week... 

On 3/6/2019 at 10:31 AM, Karisjns said:

Hi, chiming in from the MFA forum. 

I was accepted to UB and have received TA and stipend info from my department. 

I talked to financial aid and they said fellowship, loan and University scholarship info outside of your department should be mailed out on April. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your response!  After I posted that question, I received the fellowship offer and TA stipend information within 24 hours.  Congrats on your acceptance and best of luck to you!

On 3/6/2019 at 7:37 AM, whatstheplan said:

Still waiting to hear back from UCLA, though I've seen a few acceptances posted on the results page... Would it be safe to assume this is a rejection or waitlist? It seems in past years they've had rounds of decisions, so perhaps another one will be coming up. 

@whatstheplan  Yeah I think the top tier programs always go in rounds. There is always a nebulous period where they make some offers that get rejected and those become new spots for other candidates so definitely give it until the end of March at least. If you don't get an answer one way or another before then you might just follow up with your prospective advisor and see where the committee is at in the process. 

13 minutes ago, llgecir43 said:

@whatstheplan  Yeah I think the top tier programs always go in rounds. There is always a nebulous period where they make some offers that get rejected and those become new spots for other candidates so definitely give it until the end of March at least. If you don't get an answer one way or another before then you might just follow up with your prospective advisor and see where the committee is at in the process. 

Still holding tight in that case - I wound up emailing the graduate coordinator to inquire about an update (noting that I am considering another offer but still very interested) and have yet to hear back. 

Have you heard anything from U of T? Waiting there as well... have seen a few Canadian applicants post on the results page, but seemingly no international results thus far. 

Hi y'all!

I haven't received my official letter from UGA yet but my status online changed to "Offer of Admission" on May 12th.The way I was notified was by an email from grad admissions telling me to petition for in-state tuition (weird!). A day later I received an unofficial congratulations from my intended science advisor! Any other people who applied to UGA find out?

Edited by netcdf

Congrats @netcdf. I was rejected via the portal last Friday. I was bummed not to be in lovely Athens in such an incredible department but I also realize it would not have been the best fit for me. 

Looks like I will be going to U of Oklahoma in August! I received details of my graduate teach assistantship this week and am very excited. Any other OU DGES-bound folks in the thread?

On 3/13/2019 at 3:24 PM, whatstheplan said:

Still holding tight in that case - I wound up emailing the graduate coordinator to inquire about an update (noting that I am considering another offer but still very interested) and have yet to hear back. 

Have you heard anything from U of T? Waiting there as well... have seen a few Canadian applicants post on the results page, but seemingly no international results thus far. 

@whatstheplan No word from U of T for me. I think the admissions committee has met a couple of times now and made some decisions on domestic applicants. My advisor said it would be pins and needles just a bit longer. On the one hand it is an anxious wait, but it also signals that your application is clearly competitive with a lot of other strong candidates and that is kind of encouraging and exciting too. I know the international spots are very limited so being where I am now, I feel pretty fortunate that my I'm still being considered at all. Toronto is hyper-competitive. We will see!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 6:45 PM, llgecir43 said:

No word from U of T for me. I think the admissions committee has met a couple of times now and made some decisions on domestic applicants. My advisor said it would be pins and needles just a bit longer. On the one hand it is an anxious wait, but it also signals that your application is clearly competitive with a lot of other strong candidates and that is kind of encouraging and exciting too. I know the international spots are very limited so being where I am now, I feel pretty fortunate that my I'm still being considered at all. Toronto is hyper-competitive. We will see!

@llgecir43 still nothing from U of T over here - I emailed the graduate coordinator last week to inquire about an update, but have not received a reply. They're makin it tough! Especially since I'd like to get back to the program I've been admitted to and hopefully have a chance to visit Toronto before April 15th... 

Have you heard anything?

On 3/28/2019 at 1:50 PM, whatstheplan said:

@llgecir43 still nothing from U of T over here - I emailed the graduate coordinator last week to inquire about an update, but have not received a reply. They're makin it tough! Especially since I'd like to get back to the program I've been admitted to and hopefully have a chance to visit Toronto before April 15th... 

Have you heard anything?

@whatstheplan Not a peep. The admissions committee met yesterday. They won't meet again until April 12. We are cutting it real close here. I have a full-time offer with a retail firm that is time sensitive. I don't want to be a jerk and use that as leverage in the admissions process but I seriously need to know what their decision is so I can start planning the rest of my life haha. The game they're playing with extending offers and putting other folks on hold as "back-ups" is a long one and it kind of puts folks like you and me in hot water. We can only juggle offers and string things along for so long. Toronto is my first choice, but do I reject an $80000 salary to wait on an admissions outcome which at this point is likely "no"? A bit of a pain now. 

Edited by llgecir43

On 3/30/2019 at 10:23 PM, llgecir43 said:

@whatstheplan Not a peep. The admissions committee met yesterday. They won't meet again until April 12. We are cutting it real close here. I have a full-time offer with a retail firm that is time sensitive. I don't want to be a jerk and use that as leverage in the admissions process but I seriously need to know what their decision is so I can start planning the rest of my life haha. The game they're playing with extending offers and putting other folks on hold as "back-ups" is a long one and it kind of puts folks like you and me in hot water. We can only juggle offers and string things along for so long. Toronto is my first choice, but do I reject an $80000 salary to wait on an admissions outcome which at this point is likely "no"? A bit of a pain now. 

Man, seeing a couple posts today - still haven’t heard anything myself. Anxious....

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 10:34 PM, whatstheplan said:

Man, seeing a couple posts today - still haven’t heard anything myself. Anxious....

@whatstheplan  

• My case was really interesting. I was nominated by the Department of Geography for the Trillium/Connaught scholarship. For those of you who are not familiar- this is a massive province-wide scholarship fund that is available to international students at almost all universities in Ontario (might be nationwide but I'm not positive, I'm from the U.S.). I was nominated for the scholarship with one other student among the whole international PhD geography/planning applicant pool, but, at the same time, was not offered a funded spot. So I was put in a situation where if I win this hyper-competitive, long-odds scholarship, terrific. I'm in. If not, then I would not be offered any funding. It kind of paints a blurry picture about my candidacy. Was I good enough to nominate for this scholarship but not for a regular admissions offer? I'm guessing the department extended international offers immediately and then nominated me as their "take it or leave it, we're kind of indifferent" candidate. For all practical purposes, was my application "rejected" the moment I was put up for a scholarship that was statistically almost impossible to get given the number of other attractive applicants from across disciplines at U of T? All just things I'm mulling over really. What an exciting journey though! Glad my application was competitive. On to the private sector and a year of regressing before playing the game all over again!