SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

2 hours ago, fabula said:

Hi all. I received word late yesterday afternoon that I received a SSHRC doctoral fellowship. (I wasn’t eligible for the CGS-D owing to months completed.) I am grateful. This was my third application and third time at the national competition. The first year, I simply didn’t receive the award. Last year, I made it to the wait list. Third time was the charm, in my case. The possible difference? Over the years, my project hasn’t really changed at its core, but I think the proposal is now clearer to a general audience. That, and it’s (perhaps) more obviously feasible as I indicated that I’d be actively in the data collection phase by now, which is accurate. I am sharing this in case anyone reading is where I was (and feeling what I was) last year or the year before. It is absolutely worth trying again. And it remains important to remember that the crapshoot factor is real. This and other awards are never measures of our personal worth and the worth of our research. We are all trying to make a difference with our work. Wishing you well. 

Congratulations!!!!

I just wanted to say that this echos my own experience.  My project has not changed at all over the last three years, but it went from "I'm going to do this" to "I have learned how to do this and am currently in the process of doing it."  I think that made a lot of difference as far as how it was communicated to a general audience and improved the perceived feasibility.  

On 4/13/2019 at 4:18 PM, phd_imposter_syndrome said:

I was waitlisted last year as well. This whole time period is so nerve-wracking because anything can really happen. I was so close (ended up within the top 10 on the waitlist - I checked the status of my application at the end of 2018), but who knows? Maybe I won't even get waitlisted this year... stay strong everyone!

how do you know your ranking on the waitlist?

2 hours ago, Yorku2019 said:

So sorry! That's a great score! 

Is it? Thanks! I honestly have no standardized understanding of what the number would mean. Any information regarding that would be great as not a lot of information is provided besides that number.

34 minutes ago, ThisIsFine said:

Congratulations!!!!

I just wanted to say that this echos my own experience.  My project has not changed at all over the last three years, but it went from "I'm going to do this" to "I have learned how to do this and am currently in the process of doing it."  I think that made a lot of difference as far as how it was communicated to a general audience and improved the perceived feasibility.  

I would echo the same. In retrospect, although I did a total revamp of my qualitative research proposal (naturalistic observation, focus groups, photovoice) to make it a quantitative research proposal (SEM), the methodology of the study may have been naturally clearer to understand and at the same time, more feasible in their eyes. After learning from my previous unsuccessful attempts, I've learnt, with the support of my supervisor, that this fellowship only needs to fund one of your research projects and can make that one less "outlandish" and more feasible and more "common", so to speak. My other projects were more local, action research, participatory-based which I find is harder to write up for a SSHRC-type application, as opposed to a general structural equation modelling of a similar phenomenon. At least, that's my perspective from my attempts at SSHRC.

For those curious about how the scores shake up-

Last year I was waitlisted with a score of 12.8. I did not get in off the waitlist and I have no idea what my # on the list was because I didn't ask.

This year I won the regular SSHRC doctoral with a score of 13.5.

Both years I applied to whatever the group/stream that has sociology is. 

My school just informed me I was waitlisted. This was my first time applying - starting PhD in the fall. I did not expect to be as crushed as I feel. I did receive 92k and 82k over four years respectively in my funding offer from two of the programs I applied to. I guess I should be thankful for that. I am just feeling very demoralized as everyone who helped prepare my SSHRC basically told me I was a shoo-in, which really instilled a lot of false hope. I am not sure what my score is yet. So now I am sitting at my part-time job, wishing i could be in my bed lamenting life.

Edited by NavIndWmn

I received my result by mail this morning (in Montreal). Then I also received the email from McGill GPS.

Many thanks for all of you leaving comments in this post. It really helped me get through the past two days.

Good luck to everyone!

1 hour ago, VentralStream said:

Hi all, I am from Western and I just got an email saying that I was waitlisted. Does anyone know what are the odds of getting an offer off the waitlist? 

I'm also waitlisted but don't have my score yet. Anyone want to start a new SSHRC 2018-2019 waitlist thread? We could share resources on how this works and make sense of waitlist movement/ what we might try and do differently for next fall (for those reapplying)?

@phd_imposter_syndrome How much did you move on the waitlist before reaching top 10? Do you know what your initial waitlist position was as well as your final position on the waitlist? That would at least help us understand how much the list may move. Please let us know if possible : )

1 hour ago, elodie said:

I'm also waitlisted but don't have my score yet. Anyone want to start a new SSHRC 2018-2019 waitlist thread? We could share resources on how this works and make sense of waitlist movement/ what we might try and do differently for next fall (for those reapplying)?

I would love to commiserate with others. It is hard not to feel like poop at the moment.

1 hour ago, NavIndWmn said:

My school just informed me I was waitlisted. This was my first time applying - starting PhD in the fall. I did not expect to be as crushed as I feel. I did receive 92k and 82k over four years respectively in my funding offer from two of the programs I applied to. I guess I should be thankful for that. I am just feeling very demoralized as everyone who helped prepare my SSHRC basically told me I was a shoo-in, which really instilled a lot of false hope. I am not sure what my score is yet. So now I am sitting at my part-time job, wishing i could be in my bed lamenting life.

I feel this so hard. When I first was going to apply I wasn’t even sure I would get out of the school, but then people I worked with in the department were telling me they thought I would get it and it definitely got my hopes up. Oh well. Always next time. And you still have hope for this time!

1 minute ago, TheorySis said:

I'm wondering about OGS results, but at the same time feeling pretty down about the whole thing.

Yeah OGS is definitely still the hope. Unless the amount of OGS scholarships allocated to my department changed I feel like I have a very good shot, a much better shot than SSHRC at least ?.

19 minutes ago, displaynamesarehard said:

I feel this so hard. When I first was going to apply I wasn’t even sure I would get out of the school, but then people I worked with in the department were telling me they thought I would get it and it definitely got my hopes up. Oh well. Always next time. And you still have hope for this time!

It sucks, but I guess it was a learning opportunity. I have to keep telling myself the SSHRC does not determine our value.

14 minutes ago, Antikythera said:

It feels like Thanos just snapped his fingers in here. @TheorySis and @displaynamesarehard, pity party at the grad club at 5?

LOL, this actually cheered me up a bit. I guess I am one of the snapped. Thinking of it as some overlord doing it randomly does smart less.

Edited by NavIndWmn

12 minutes ago, Antikythera said:

It feels like Thanos just snapped his fingers in here. @TheorySis and @displaynamesarehard, pity party at the grad club at 5?

Edit: also, anyone else at Western! Even the more fortunate. :P

I would be down for the grad club if I didn't have a paper to revise by the end of the week!

20 minutes ago, Antikythera said:

Edit: also, anyone else at Western! Even the more fortunate. :P

Super great idea except the anxiety around waiting led to me pushing off some work I need to do for tomorrow ☹️

Just now, displaynamesarehard said:

Super great idea except the anxiety around waiting led to me pushing off some work I need to do for tomorrow ☹️

6 minutes ago, TheorySis said:

I would be down for the grad club if I didn't have a paper to revise by the end of the week!

I'm actually in the same boat. I have a paper due tomorrow and another on Sunday. I thought I'd let myself walk the news off a little, but maybe reason will prevail here. Maybe a raincheck on that! I wouldn't mind more keener friends at Western. 

13 minutes ago, Yorku2019 said:

I think so, given what I have gleaned from various threads. It seems that, on average, 11.5 - 14.5 = SSHRC Fellowship ('smaller') and maybe 15 and greater = CGS-D ('larger') @crazycatmaniac

I got 11.1 and was waitlisted so 11.5 seems about right for the fellowship cut off. 

II would be interesting in seeing my score. I was waitlisted so assuming 11 or lower then. I hate how SSHRC is scored because 11/20 seems so low if you were doing an exam. It would be barely a pass, but with sshrc it’s a score to be proud of. Even a 15/20 which would have likely netted a bombardier, it still is really only a 75% on other rankings. It’s hard to wrap your mind around.

Edited by NavIndWmn