SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

13 hours ago, PhdMultilinguaEd said:

I'm not sure either. I can see some shifting year to year, but going down by 6 points when my publications/conference presentations have improved and my proposal really hasn't changed significantly really doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I had hoped I would have strengthened my score enough through the publications/presentations to win this year, but no suck luck it seems like. 

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they judge you more critically the further you are into your program.  So if the Program of Study doesn't change a lot the score goes down.  It has to be strengthened significantly each year. 

Just got my results in Toronto: a score of 11.7 for committee 3 and I was waitlisted.

And the waiting continues! 

18 hours ago, Kleio_77 said:

Are any of you planning to give a "thank you" card to your letter writers? 

I always do, regardless of the result. I usually write them a thank you email.

21 hours ago, ThisIsFine said:

Anyone else in Ontario still waiting on the results in the mail?  I already received an email from my university stating that I got the doctoral fellowship, but I'm still twitchy until I have the actual results in hand.  

I am in the same situation as you and no letter yet. I am in the GTA.

On 5/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, ThisIsFine said:

Anyone else in Ontario still waiting on the results in the mail?  I already received an email from my university stating that I got the doctoral fellowship, but I'm still twitchy until I have the actual results in hand.  

I felt the same way. I received my letter three days ago. However, I was sitting outside waiting for the mail person and I watched him put a brown envelope in my neighbor's mailbox and then skip my house. I stopped him and asked about the mail but he said there was nothing for my house. I went and knocked on my neighbor's door and there was no answer. So I looked in their mailbox and that brown envelope was my letter from SSHRC. So mistakes do happen. I definitely felt horrible going through my neighbor's mailbox but I just knew it was my letter. I also saw my neighbor the next day and told him what I did. LOL. 

On 5/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, ThisIsFine said:

First off, congratulations! Secondly, it should come any day now so hang in there. Mine came last week and I live in ON. 

18 hours ago, Kleio_77 said:

I felt the same way. I received my letter three days ago. However, I was sitting outside waiting for the mail person and I watched him put a brown envelope in my neighbor's mailbox and then skip my house. I stopped him and asked about the mail but he said there was nothing for my house. I went and knocked on my neighbor's door and there was no answer. So I looked in their mailbox and that brown envelope was my letter from SSHRC. So mistakes do happen. I definitely felt horrible going through my neighbor's mailbox but I just knew it was my letter. I also saw my neighbor the next day and told him what I did. LOL. 

Oh no!!!!  Glad that you caught it!  I'm sure the neighbour would have brought it over, but it's good that you noticed right away!  

Mine finally arrived today!  Score of 18.3, but I'm past 16 months in so no Bombardier for me.  STILL, THRILLED.  Our department had three people receive SSHRC this year and our average is 0-1 so apparently it's a good year for us.  

Also, I received 24 months of funding despite stating that I was on track to complete my PhD in the summer of 2020 (our department only gives us four years of funding, so completing within four years is the goal) so I need to sort all that out.  I assume it means adjusting my plans for when I would defend?  

On 5/2/2019 at 8:43 AM, IndgStudies1234 said:

I apologize for all the questions - I am a first generation student and the people at school I asked did not know.

If you were to win a SSHRC or Bombardier, is it automatically for the amount of years you are eligible for depending on current year in your PhD? I.e. if you get a bombardier and its your first year do you automatically get 3 years... or does SSHRC decide how many terms you will get. For example me and A are both in first year, we both get the bombardier - is it possible they award me only one year and A two?

Bombardier is for 36 months. So if you get it in your second year it means that you still get 36 months of funding which means a 5th year of funding (because by the time you receive it, it will likely be in September which means your second year will be nearly finished). If you receive a Bombardier in your first year it's still 36 mths so you don't get a 5th year of funding because F/T programs are normally 4 years long. That's how it works in my program. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, 

I got a SSHRC fellowship, but I had to decline .  So, I send an email and let them know why I declined it and also indicated that I will apply for a SSHRC again in the future. I received a reply stating that my decision was received and a copy of the email will be kept in my file. However, when I was reading their reply, I noticed that I made typos in my initial email  (like missing a "to"). I am now very panic that these two errors will affect my application in the future when I apply again because this email will be kept in my file. I am probably paranoid... so I checked SSHRC Evaluation criteria many times, it states: 

Applications are evaluated solely on academic merit by multidisciplinary selection committees covering broad research areas. Academic merit is measured by:

• past academic results, as demonstrated by transcripts, awards and distinctions; 
  • the program of study and its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge; 
  • relevant professional and academic experience, including research training, as demonstrated by conference presentations and scholarly publications; 
  • two written evaluations from referees; and 
  • the departmental appraisal (for those registered at Canadian postsecondary institutions).

So I wonder what do you guys think? Am I being too sensitive?

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Stickyknow said:

Hello everyone, 

I got a SSHRC fellowship, but I had to decline .  So, I send an email and let them know why I declined it and also indicated that I will apply for a SSHRC again in the future. I received a reply stating that my decision was received and a copy of the email will be kept in my file. However, when I was reading their reply, I noticed that I made typos in my initial email  (like missing a "to"). I am now very panic that these two errors will affect my application in the future when I apply again because this email will be kept in my file. I am probably paranoid... so I checked SSHRC Evaluation criteria many times, it states: 

Applications are evaluated solely on academic merit by multidisciplinary selection committees covering broad research areas. Academic merit is measured by:

• past academic results, as demonstrated by transcripts, awards and distinctions; 
  • the program of study and its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge; 
  • relevant professional and academic experience, including research training, as demonstrated by conference presentations and scholarly publications; 
  • the departmental appraisal (for those registered at Canadian postsecondary institutions).

Thank you!

I seriously doubt they would look at that letter.  It won't be a part of the application packet so it won't reach the evaluators.  Rest easy.

On 5/23/2019 at 4:05 PM, Stickyknow said:

Hello everyone, 

Thank you!

Don’t worry about it. They won’t see the email and probably didn’t even notice the typos. I’ve made multiple typos in actual scholarship applications and still got funding.

Hey, just submitted my acceptance via email for SSHRC doctoral - even though it was due Friday. I explained in my email that I was a away with a fellowship and missed the letter. Has anyone been in this situation and know how SSHRC usually responds to situations like mine?

Edited by cba

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 10:52 AM, displaynamesarehard said:

This isn’t true. You can get OGS up to 4 times, but not past your 4th year. You just need to apply for it every year.

I was awarded an OGS for the first year of my doctorate and it was not renewable.

From the Queen's University website:

"Scholarship Value: $15,000 for one academic year, normally paid out in 3 equal installments. The award is not renewable."

Edited by gaels