SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

Just now, Clinpsyc01 said:

They tweeted at 12:41pm EST last year. 

Not that I just combed through a years worth of tweets or anything...

Haha I love this! I also considered how long it would take me to look back a year on Twitter. 

Hey - I received an email from my institution notifying me about eligibility to apply for the CGS-MSFSS (Micheal Smith Foreign Study Supplement). Did anyone else receive this today? Does this mean that some schools might already know some results? Am I reading too far into this? Probably. 

5 minutes ago, EGerbran said:

Hey - I received an email from my institution notifying me about eligibility to apply for the CGS-MSFSS (Micheal Smith Foreign Study Supplement). Did anyone else receive this today? Does this mean that some schools might already know some results? Am I reading too far into this? Probably. 

I was told by my graduate awards office that they find out after I receive my letter and they they aren given no information prior to that. Which makes zero sense, and I think is a lie...haaaa. Sounds like you've won, tho! 

Just now, Almond said:

I was told by my graduate awards office that they find out after I receive my letter and they they aren given no information prior to that. Which makes zero sense, and I think is a lie...haaaa. Sounds like you've won, tho! 

Also I'm at the U of A ! Wondering if you are too and if so, did you receive the email from FGSR?

8 minutes ago, EGerbran said:

Did they email you by name? My school sent an email a week ago to the grad students in my department. It was sent by the grad coordinator and included a pdf about how to apply but it wasn't an individualized email.

10 minutes ago, EGerbran said:

Ooops - messed up quoting that last post. Also I'm at the U of A ! Wondering if you are too and if so, did you receive the email from FGSR?

15 minutes ago, EGerbran said:

I got a similar email from my grad awards officer about a week ago, but it looked like it was sent to all current SSHRC holders (I have an MA SSHRC this year). 

Edited by Clinpsyc01

4 minutes ago, Almond said:

Ooops - messed up quoting that last post. Also I'm at the U of A ! Wondering if you are too and if so, did you receive the email from FGSR?

I am at U of A, and yes I got it from FGSR, but as Clinpysc01 said, I think it might just be sent to current CGS-M holders (which I currently am). I hope I didn't freak you out!

5 minutes ago, Clinpsyc01 said:

I got a similar email from my grad awards officer about a week ago, but it looked like it was sent to all current SSHRC holders (I have an MA SSHRC this year). 

Ah ok, thank you! That could explain it. I'm also currently holding a CGS-M. Oh well, I was hoping it meant there was good news on the horizon!

Edited by EGerbran

8 minutes ago, Kleio_77 said:

Did they email you by name? My school sent an email a week ago to the grad students in my department. It was sent by the grad coordinator and included a pdf about how to apply but it wasn't an individualized email.

It was individualized with my name but I'm suspecting now from what others have said that it has to do with current CGS-M and Doctoral holders and has nothing to do with the current adjudication process. 

Interesting. I am not a current SSHRC holder and I got it. The email was from someone in the grad awards office to my grad coordinator and said to please forward the info to those who are eligible to apply. But honestly, I think the grad coordinator is lazy and probably emailed it to our entire department. LOL. 

Just now, Kleio_77 said:

Interesting. I am not a current SSHRC holder and I got it. The email was from someone in the grad awards office to my grad coordinator and said to please forward the info to those who are eligible to apply. But honestly, I think the grad coordinator is lazy and probably emailed it to our entire department. LOL. 

Lol! Sounds about right, it feels like being inundated with useless/redundant emails is 50% of what grad school is!

I found the 2017 article linked below which is a set of tips from the SSHRC acting manager of Research Training and program officer.  It specifically says that institutions get results earlier than the mailed results:

" For the Doctoral Awards candidates who applied through a Canadian university – your faculty of graduate studies will have access to the results via a secure site, so you may be notified a little earlier, as soon as the results are released. For result packages sent by mail, you should allow for at least a two week waiting period. "

The article can be found here: https://www.universityaffairs.ca/career-advice/career-advice-article/tips-myths-consider-preparing-sshrc-application/

"For result packages sent by mail, you should allow for at least a two week waiting period." What?

I think it would be more of an NSERC project, but the experience of time slowing to the pace of pre-industrial climate change is really something that should be studied. ?

Edited by fabula