Jump to content
Adelaide9216

SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I received the CGS-D today, with a score of [redacted]. I will be requesting the SSHRC-D instead, because I am starting my PhD in the states. Hopefully this frees up a CGS for one of you!

Edited by telkanuru
SSHRC Guidelines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BittersweetStudent said:

Hi everyone, I received CGS-D with a score of 13.9 from UofT, first time applicant with CGS-M prior. Hope this helps people understand the process!

What committee? I think the scores for each award vary by committee, so I'm just curious! I got 13.8 and the regular sshrc. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhdMultilinguaEd said:

Hi everyone,

Congrats to those that have received SSHRC. I just found out that I didn't get it - 3rd time applicant external applicant here (US school). First time, didn't make it to national competition, last year I was waitlisted with a score of 12.25 and this year my score is 6.5, so obviously not even waitlisted. I'm not sure how it's even possible for my score to drop my almost half when my proposal has not changed that much, and I've added publications/conference presentations. I selected the same committee as well. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any thoughts appreciated. 

Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me. I have no idea what happened, and still can't explain it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to those who were successful in their applications! I just received my letter and was waitlisted in Committee 3 with a score of 11.9/20. First time applying for SSHRC Doctoral.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhdMultilinguaEd said:

Hi everyone,

Congrats to those that have received SSHRC. I just found out that I didn't get it - 3rd time applicant external applicant here (US school). First time, didn't make it to national competition, last year I was waitlisted with a score of 12.25 and this year my score is 6.5, so obviously not even waitlisted. I'm not sure how it's even possible for my score to drop my almost half when my proposal has not changed that much, and I've added publications/conference presentations. I selected the same committee as well. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any thoughts appreciated. 

HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE???

This is making me feel disillusioned about SSHRC. Maybe I’ll submit the exact same thing next year and the winds of luck will be in my favour this time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

congrats to those who received the award! just got my letter and was waitlisted for the SSHRC doctoral award with a score of 12/20. Not sure what committee (it doesn’t say so on my letter). first time direct applicant at a phd program in the states. guess I’ll try again next year—as far as I understand it, getting off the waitlist is highly unlikely...

ps. i’m in history so I assume that’s what committee I was in?

Edited by tov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, paperdoorway said:

Congrats to everyone! Can't believe the mail has come and gone in Scarborough and still nothing. UGH. So frustrating.

Sharing your pain! Still nothing in Toronto. 😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Almond said:

gahhh from U of A and know I won but still no letter - anybody in Edmonton still not receive their letter? I'm getting worried it was lost and I need to scan it and send it to my school to start payments! 

Weird... I already received mine on Friday (In Edmonton). Hopefully yours didn't get lost... Congrats on winning! Happy to get to celebrate a fellow U of A SSHRC winner!!

Edited by HerestheManaTEA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!  Congratulations to those who have received SSHRC funding!!

A quick note.  This is my third year applying, and the first time I am on the waiting list (12.3). I am ineligible to apply again.   

Does anyone know how long the waiting list(s) is (are) active?

Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paperdoorway said:

Congrats to everyone! Can't believe the mail has come and gone in Scarborough and still nothing. UGH. So frustrating.

Ah, there was actually something wrong with the post in the Scarborough area and the mailman came back to my parents' house to drop the letter off. FINALLY got it!

Received SSHRC-D with 19.8/20 - direct applicant doing a PhD in the UK; first time applying.

Just relieved to not be waiting anymore!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, paperdoorway said:

Ah, there was actually something wrong with the post in the Scarborough area and the mailman came back to my parents' house to drop the letter off. FINALLY got it!

Received SSHRC-D with 19.8/20 - direct applicant doing a PhD in the UK; first time applying.

Just relieved to not be waiting anymore!

Wow, that’s a crazy score, probably the highest I’ve ever seen. Congrats!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, del.boca.vista said:

Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me. I have no idea what happened, and still can't explain it. 

Thanks for letting me know. I've sent them an email because last year when I was waitlisted I was able to find out the breakdown of my scores (between the two reviewers) and my ranking. I'm hoping that might shed some light. Sorry to hear that happened to you too but it helps to not be the only one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PsycUndergrad said:

Wow, that’s a crazy score, probably the highest I’ve ever seen. Congrats!!

Thanks so much! I didn't expect it at all... feeling very grateful! 🙏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received my letter today in Calgary - got offered CGS-D! First time applicant with a score of 17.9 - completely shocked! I didn’t receive any emails from the University of Calgary, just results via mail. I’m finally glad this wait is over and I can actually sleep without having nightmares about SSHRC! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, waitingwondering said:

Does anyone know when/if we can expect to hear back about being upgraded from fellowship to CGS?

I assume any answers SSHRC has given for waitlisted people (I've copied a reply below that someone posted in the Waitlist thread) would be equally applicable to those who get upgraded.  I expect there will be lots of movement over the next few weeks and possibly even months due to people finalizing their plans for the academic year.  But, that is just my guess.  It wouldn't hurt to email SSHRC to ask, although I'd expect a somewhat vague response.

"Applicants who are advised that their application has been recommended by the committee but not funded are placed on a waiting / recommended list. SSHRC uses these lists, which are committee specific, to offer awards as funds become available. Periodically, supplementary funds may become available as a result of declines of offered awards, interruptions of awards, early termination of previous awards, etc.  These factors make it complex to predict when or if a particular candidate is likely to secure funding during this competition cycle. Consequently, while SSHRC offers candidates with their relative score, SSHRC does not offer candidates their committee specific ranking.

Edited by WestCoastEagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my letter in NYC today. Waitlisted with a score of 10.7 from committee 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Antikythera said:

HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE???

This is making me feel disillusioned about SSHRC. Maybe I’ll submit the exact same thing next year and the winds of luck will be in my favour this time?

I'm not sure either. I can see some shifting year to year, but going down by 6 points when my publications/conference presentations have improved and my proposal really hasn't changed significantly really doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I had hoped I would have strengthened my score enough through the publications/presentations to win this year, but no suck luck it seems like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jungandrestless said:

Just received my letter today in Calgary - got offered CGS-D! First time applicant with a score of 17.9 - completely shocked! I didn’t receive any emails from the University of Calgary, just results via mail. I’m finally glad this wait is over and I can actually sleep without having nightmares about SSHRC! 

Congratulations!! :) thank you for sharing the wonderful news with us. I lost hope of getting anything this year after not receiving any emails from U of C last week.

Maybe I will get my letter tomorrow? :) there's a tiny light of hope flickering in my heart now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, PhdMultilinguaEd said:

I'm not sure either. I can see some shifting year to year, but going down by 6 points when my publications/conference presentations have improved and my proposal really hasn't changed significantly really doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I had hoped I would have strengthened my score enough through the publications/presentations to win this year, but no suck luck it seems like. 

The lesson I’m taking from this is that the signal-to-noise ratio is questionable, and an absurdist whimsy may be a more appropriate attitude than earnest striving for next time. I’ll still try to get the free money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got my snail mail today in Calgary (after no emails from U of C 🙄) . Standard SSHRC fellowship with a score of 13/20 from committee 2 I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.