Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

Hi there,

I have been stressing about applying to MSW programs for a while now, so I thought I would make a forum so we can stress together! Feel free to ask questions. Hopefully we can help each other out and make this process a lot easier. 

Good luck to everyone applying for 2019! 

1 hour ago, mriley26 said:

Hi there,

I have been stressing about applying to MSW programs for a while now, so I thought I would make a forum so we can stress together! Feel free to ask questions. Hopefully we can help each other out and make this process a lot easier. 

Good luck to everyone applying for 2019! 

Thanks for starting this thread! It has been on my mind too!

1 hour ago, eleo said:

Thanks for starting this! Where is everyone planning to apply?

My top school is King's. I am also considering applying to Laurier and Windsor. Where will you be applying?

Thank you for starting this thread! I've begun my applications and am finding the whole experience stressful already. My current choices are Lakehead, Laurier, and Windsor, and I'll probably try for York U as well. Lakehead is my first choice but writing a "study plan" for the application has proved to be challenging thus far. Good luck everyone! :)

Hello!

I've been accepted into the 2 year MSW program at U of T and Laurier respectively for the September 2018 start. The Laurier program is mostly online with in person practica, while the U of T MSW is a brick and mortar program.

Does anyone have any insight into how these programs compare to one another? Or advice on which to pursue?

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, iheartmagic said:

Hello!

I've been accepted into the 2 year MSW program at U of T and Laurier respectively for the September 2018 start. The Laurier program is mostly online with in person practica, while the U of T MSW is a brick and mortar program.

Does anyone have any insight into how these programs compare to one another? Or advice on which to pursue?

Thanks in advance!

Idk if you've already checked it out, but a lot of people from Laurier's online May cohort are in the thread I attached to this post. They'd have the best insight to what the Laurier program is like

Thank you for starting this group!   We can have stress together! lol!  I've applied for Laurier's online, part-time MSW for non-social work students...Jan 2019 start date.  It's the only university I've applied to, and if I don't get accepted this year, my plan is to apply to Athabasca's Masters of Counselling Psychology.  I have to do an online program; I'm 37, 2 kids, job.  No way I can go to an actual school.  Good luck to everyone! :)

Thank you for starting this thread. I am planning on applying to the two-year MSW at UofT and York for the fall of 2019 and am getting pretty stressed about it. Does anyone happen to know general acceptance stats for these programs? I keep finding conflicting information. 

Hi All! Thanks so much for starting this thread :) 

I applied back in 2015 and was waitlisted at U of T and denied at York. 

This time around I am planning on applying to Laurier's online MSW (2.5 year), York's 2-year MSW, and Lakehead's 12-month BSW. 

At this point I am leaning towards Laurier because I would be able to continue working and want something with a clinical focus that is not U of T (I attended U of T for my undergrad and M.Ed. and am a bit "done" with the place haha). I am more interested in the social detriments of well-being and feel very aligned with York's program, but all of my education thus far has been in the social justice field, and I think that having a more clinical focus may broaden my skill set! 

Currently my plan is to apply for all three for the fall 2019 intake :) 

I look forward to this journey with you all!

55 minutes ago, jaynie said:

Hi,

I applied to the MSW online part-time for non social work students at Laurier Jan 2019 start.  Has anyone heard yet?

Good Luck to everyone!

I applied for that program too! :)  I was told we'd hear back late August/early September.  If it is anything like previous cohorts, it's highly likely it will be even later than that before we hear anything. Hoping to find out sooner than later though.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, dem13 said:

I applied for that program too! :)  I was told we'd hear back late August/early September.  If it is anything like previous cohorts, it's highly likely it will be even later than that before we hear anything. Hoping to find out sooner than later though.  Good luck!

Thanks for letting me know, they told me 4-8 weeks and it has been 6.  But I know other cohorts heard late.  I am going to try to stop obsessively checking my e-mail:)  Best of luck to you! 

14 minutes ago, jaynie said:

Thanks for letting me know, they told me 4-8 weeks and it has been 6.  But I know other cohorts heard late.  I am going to try to stop obsessively checking my e-mail:)  Best of luck to you! 

I hear ya on the obsessive email checking. Lol.  Nonstop.  I need to figure out how I’m going to pay for it so I’d like to know as soon as possible.  Hopefully soon!!

45 minutes ago, jaynie said:

YES!  Me too, I hope I get in and find out soon as it will put a fire under my but to get my basement ready for Airbnb, lol.  I am 39 with a mortgage...

37 here with 2 kids, trying to save for a mortgage! Lmao. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! 

Ive been following these forums for years, so it's exciting to finally get to say I'll be applying for my MSW for fall 2019! I'm planning on applying to UofT's advanced standing MSW (mental health/health stream), as well as Waterloo's online MSW, and possibly Laurier's online MSW as well!

I have my BA in psych and sociology, an SSW diploma, and BSW from Dalhousie. Both of the last two were very social justice oriented (which I believe is so important), but I'm now interested in a more clinical focus! 

I'm starting to get nervous, but excited, as I just confirmed one of my references yesterday (aahhh ?)!!

Hi all, just wondering if anybody has compiled a list of tuition fees for the schools you’re thinking of applying to? I’ve been thinking about compiling them to help with my pros/cons list but I thought I’d ask in case somebody is a step ahead and cares to share. :) 

On 8/15/2018 at 10:15 PM, SocialWERK2019 said:

Hi everyone! 

Ive been following these forums for years, so it's exciting to finally get to say I'll be applying for my MSW for fall 2019! I'm planning on applying to UofT's advanced standing MSW (mental health/health stream), as well as Waterloo's online MSW, and possibly Laurier's online MSW as well!

I have my BA in psych and sociology, an SSW diploma, and BSW from Dalhousie. Both of the last two were very social justice oriented (which I believe is so important), but I'm now interested in a more clinical focus! 

I'm starting to get nervous, but excited, as I just confirmed one of my references yesterday (aahhh ?)!!

Congrats for getting to this point in your education!

I have very similar goals as you. I applied for U of T's 2 year MSW program for a 2017 entry but was waitlisted. I discovered this forum after I applied so I am happy to give and receive support this time around!

after not moving off the waitlist in 2017, I decided to take the prerequisites for University of Waterloo's BSW program which I begin in a few weeks. I hope to apply to U of T's advanced standing MSW (mental health/health stream), Waterloo's online MSW, and Laurier's MSW (probably the on-campus option). I am also considering Western and Ryerson. 

The application process is daunting to me, especially combined with the start of an intense BSW program. Waiting for decisions seems agonizing but I am getting ahead of myself! I am resolving to enjoy the process :)