Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

On 8/16/2018 at 8:02 AM, kymbeee said:

Hi all, just wondering if anybody has compiled a list of tuition fees for the schools you’re thinking of applying to? I’ve been thinking about compiling them to help with my pros/cons list but I thought I’d ask in case somebody is a step ahead and cares to share. :) 

I have created a spreadsheet with info on the schools I am considering. I will share it on this forum and enable editing for any corrections and/or additions. I quickly put it together a few months ago so some of the numbers may not be precise but it is generally accurate :) You may want to add a category for pros and cons.

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ALONo5WQ-kXxy3Y6WuXV3WYsFzqfMS6rI5zpNcFurUY/edit?usp=sharing

On 7/11/2018 at 11:10 AM, iheartmagic said:

Hello!

I've been accepted into the 2 year MSW program at U of T and Laurier respectively for the September 2018 start. The Laurier program is mostly online with in person practica, while the U of T MSW is a brick and mortar program.

Does anyone have any insight into how these programs compare to one another? Or advice on which to pursue?

Thanks in advance!

Do you mind sharing what kind of GPA and volunteer experience you had? I am interested in these programs as well, but do not know anyone who has been accepted to them! Congrats :)

Hi everyone!

So glad I can finally post to these forums now that I'm gearing up to apply for Fall 2019 MSW programs. I have my BA in Social Development Studies and Psychology, so I'm applying to a mix of Social Work and Counselling Psychology programs. Mainly interested in Windsor, Western, and UofT :) - anyone else applying to those? 

Edited by heatherrose

On 8/22/2018 at 8:34 AM, KD.msw said:

Congrats for getting to this point in your education!

I have very similar goals as you. I applied for U of T's 2 year MSW program for a 2017 entry but was waitlisted. I discovered this forum after I applied so I am happy to give and receive support this time around!

after not moving off the waitlist in 2017, I decided to take the prerequisites for University of Waterloo's BSW program which I begin in a few weeks. I hope to apply to U of T's advanced standing MSW (mental health/health stream), Waterloo's online MSW, and Laurier's MSW (probably the on-campus option). I am also considering Western and Ryerson. 

The application process is daunting to me, especially combined with the start of an intense BSW program. Waiting for decisions seems agonizing but I am getting ahead of myself! I am resolving to enjoy the process :) 

Thanks!

I think getting your BSW is a great idea, but you're right, it could get a bit stressful applying to grad school while starting. Try to be kind and take care of yourself, and hopefully it won't be too overwhelming :) Hopefully this forum will be supportive for all of us this year!

I actually just started a new part time job this week, in addition to my current part time job and volunteering (social work/mental health related)...... really hoping I'm not overdoing it, but I'm so ready to apply finally this year! 

Do you (/anyone else here) mind sharing your work/volunteer/educational experience with the group? Like I mentioned in my previous post, I have a BA in psych and soc, an SSW diploma, and BSW. I got a 3.6 GPA in my BSW, and got to do a research project in my second year with an on-campus food justice organization. As far as work, placement, and volunteer experience, I have almost 3000 hours in :community mental health case management, CRFs (halfway houses for people leaving prison), developmental disability day program, emergency shelter, a student-run health clinic, crisis phone lines, and with women re-entering the workforce. I am hoping to do my MSW with a mental health focus so I can hopefully work in a more clinical setting. I would eventually like to do mental health counseling. 

I'm terrified, but also kinda excited for this application journey!

47 minutes ago, SocialWERK2019 said:

Thanks!

I think getting your BSW is a great idea, but you're right, it could get a bit stressful applying to grad school while starting. Try to be kind and take care of yourself, and hopefully it won't be too overwhelming :) Hopefully this forum will be supportive for all of us this year!

I actually just started a new part time job this week, in addition to my current part time job and volunteering (social work/mental health related)...... really hoping I'm not overdoing it, but I'm so ready to apply finally this year! 

Do you (/anyone else here) mind sharing your work/volunteer/educational experience with the group? Like I mentioned in my previous post, I have a BA in psych and soc, an SSW diploma, and BSW. I got a 3.6 GPA in my BSW, and got to do a research project in my second year with an on-campus food justice organization. As far as work, placement, and volunteer experience, I have almost 3000 hours in :community mental health case management, CRFs (halfway houses for people leaving prison), developmental disability day program, emergency shelter, a student-run health clinic, crisis phone lines, and with women re-entering the workforce. I am hoping to do my MSW with a mental health focus so I can hopefully work in a more clinical setting. I would eventually like to do mental health counseling. 

I'm terrified, but also kinda excited for this application journey!

Wow your experience and education is really impressive, good for you. 

I have a BA in human geography and a Masters in environmental impact assessment, so not directly social work related. For the past year and a half, I've been living in Laos in SE Asia working for a non-profit on community-based environmental management projects to reduce poverty, protect natural resources and improve livelihoods of people living in rural villages. I applied to an MSW-HR (human rights) in Berlin last year and got accepted but I ended up not doing it because I did't get the scholarship I needed. Now I want to come home to Canada and do an MSW in fall 2019, but I'm afraid my degrees/experience is not related enough. Seeing everyone's experience and education is inspiring but also kind of intimidating! 

Good luck to all :) 

@veecee I should've clarified that I'll be applying to the Advanced Standing (1 year) programs that require a BSW and social work experience! I'm assuming you'll be applying to two year degrees? Your education and experience sounds really interesting! The fact that you got accepted into that MSW program in Berlin says something, so give yourself the credit you deserve :) I think your experience in Asia is quite relevant to social work, especially in terms of access to services in rural or possibly lower income areas. I'd recommend you do some reading on environmental racism if you haven't already!

It is really great to see how diverse everyone is in terms of experience and education! 

I obtained my B.A. in Business Administration in 1994. I have volunteered for a number of community service organizations over the years and most recently, I have been a foster parent.  We closed last summer so that I could go back to school. Prior to fostering, I taught part-time at the high school level. I have volunteered as a counsellor/chaplain at a camp for kids for the past 10 years (1 week each summer). In 2013, I travelled with a team to the Dominican Republic where we worked with a community to improve conditions of a school in an impoverished neighbourhood. 

My GPA for the B.A. is 3.6. Last year I took the 10 pre-requisites for Renison's (U of Waterloo) BSW program and my GPA is 3.9 (3.9 for Stats, 3.7 for Social Research). I hope to complete the BSW program in June of 2019 so I will be applying for advanced standing MSW programs.

My placement during the 10 month BSW program is at a counselling agency which is an amazing opportunity to observe and obtain tools for clinical work.

Hi everyone,

I found this forum and figured it may help me with the anxiety of waiting. I applied to the MSW online at Wilfrid Laurier starting in May. As a mom of 3 with a full-time job it is my only option so all my eggs are in one basket so to speak. They told me I would hear in Jan or Feb, but after reading other posts it sounds like they are consistently late. Considering how crazy I am already going, I'm not sure I will make it :P

Hi Everyone! I'm glad I searched for this group, I have been following the 2018 group. I've applied to and am waiting to hear back from Laurier for their 2 year online MSW starting in January. I'm a new mom so online is definitely what would work best at this point! I'm really excited. I didn't realize how competitive the program is until after I had applied, which has made me a bit nervous.I was accepted to a MACP program already but am hoping for Laurier. I've been obsessively checking my email and LORIS account daily but am expecting the wait to stretch into the fall. I've got about about 5.5 years' experience as a case manager (women's shelters, mental health, addictions, EAPs). My background is an Honours BA in psychology, a post graduate program (Concurrent Disorders), a written thesis, and experience presenting and performing my own research as well as working in a lab. I'm not sure how to calculate a GPA but I was well above the minimum requirements. I know I had excellent recommendation letters from psychologists I work with. I really hope we hear soon! 

Hi everyone! I am so glad to see this group as it definitely helps me keep calm as we wait to hear back. I am starting my last year of my BSW, and also have a BA in Child Studies. I have worked at a CAS for the past two summers, and also have two years' experience in crisis response, facilitating a grief/bereavement support group, sitting on the board of directors for a local agency, and mentoring children. I have already applied to the Laurier online MSW program starting in May 2019. I also plan to apply to King's and Waterloo.

Where is everyone applying to? Wishing you all the best of luck!!

Is anyone waiting to hear back from Laurier for January 2019? I emailed an enrolment advisor today to ask if they were still on track for decisions to be made by late August/early September. I was told there was a large number of applicants and they are still reviewing files. Decisions will be emailed in the next two months. Waiting is so hard!

22 minutes ago, eleo said:

Is anyone waiting to hear back from Laurier for January 2019? I emailed an enrolment advisor today to ask if they were still on track for decisions to be made by late August/early September. I was told there was a large number of applicants and they are still reviewing files. Decisions will be emailed in the next two months. Waiting is so hard!

I’m waiting to hear back from Laurier for Jan 2019.  I figured they wouldn’t be on time.  I’m stressed to the max waiting because I want to take a prerequisite course for another program.  Don’t want to waste the money if I don’t need to.  I’d also like to know as soon as possible so I can figure out how I’m going to fund schooling if I get accepted.

Edited by dem13

2 hours ago, eleo said:

2 months ? That seems like such a long time!! I'm glad you followed up with them directly though. Thanks for sharing the update!

On 8/28/2018 at 11:08 PM, forbuss said:

Here is a question! When looking at your GPA, does the school use their grade system to rank them?

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-conversion-table/

I could be wrong but my assumption is that your GPA is correlated with your school. So a person applying to York with a 90 average from Dalhousie would have a 4.0, while a student with a 90 average from Memorial would have a 3.9 GPA

18 hours ago, hellohamilton said:

i re-read my e-mails and the admissions person said that they would be notifying folks by late september.  i am hoping to hear back soon to work out funding ASAP!  

Yeah, first when I applied, they told me it would be late August/early September.  I have a feeling it'll be October sometime...hopefully I'm wrong.  The waiting is painful. lol