Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

6 hours ago, N_D said:

Thank you so much for this response and the necessary reminder of the dialectical experience of all of this (outcomes not being reflective of us, and also affecting us the same). Sitting with all of those sentiments. Thank you! ❤️ 

Sending warmth & I am with you in solidarity. ❤️ 

Hey everyone!

I came across this thread yesterday and I am super happy that it exists! I have been waiting in anxiety for school acceptances, but I am glad that I am able to have an outlet here.

I have applied to five different schools for the 2-year MSW programs since I have a background in Psychology. So far, I have been declined by Carleton. However, I was accepted into UofC yesterday for their clinical stream. I am still waiting to hear back from UofVic, UofT and York.

I am hoping to hear back soon from the other schools soon, but I know UofT - for example - will stat notifying their two-year applicants most likely by the end of March to even mid April. I am hoping to hear sooner than later, since UofC's clinical stream starts in May this year. I am hoping that I will have the opportunity to move out of the city and study somewhere new, but we will see! I am happy to get in somewhere at least.

Congratulations on everyone's acceptances so far! And the best of luck to everyone who is still waiting. ?

i just wanted to say congratulations to all of those who have received offers, warm thoughts to those who received news they didn't want and patience to those who are refreshing all day (like me!!!!!).  it is so hard to wait.

i am also wondering if anyone more organized than i has collected the information re: cost of programs?  i have been accepted into dalhousie msw advanced standing online and am waiting to hear back from u vic, laurier msw advanced standing in person and waterloo online.  realistically cost will be a huge factor in my decision and i thought i'd see if somewhere some information has been gathered that anyone is aware of?  if not maybe i'll gather and share for all.  

8 minutes ago, hellohamilton said:

i just wanted to say congratulations to all of those who have received offers, warm thoughts to those who received news they didn't want and patience to those who are refreshing all day (like me!!!!!).  it is so hard to wait.

i am also wondering if anyone more organized than i has collected the information re: cost of programs?  i have been accepted into dalhousie msw advanced standing online and am waiting to hear back from u vic, laurier msw advanced standing in person and waterloo online.  realistically cost will be a huge factor in my decision and i thought i'd see if somewhere some information has been gathered that anyone is aware of?  if not maybe i'll gather and share for all.  

also interested in this as well! and perhaps different schools might offer different funding opportunities?

Everyone who still hasn’t heard yet about the advanced standing u of t MSW... I’ve been told by someone who applied two years ago that there are two rounds of acceptances before we hear about the waitlist.... so that’s nice to hear! Hoping it’s true! ???? 

8 minutes ago, SocialWERK2019 said:

Everyone who still hasn’t heard yet about the advanced standing u of t MSW... I’ve been told by someone who applied two years ago that there are two rounds of acceptances before we hear about the waitlist.... so that’s nice to hear! Hoping it’s true! ???? 

Are they aware of when this second round would happen?

Was trying to find evidence of this in the previous forums but couldn't 

Edited by Chantalilly

I’m not sure if this is true. Angela told a person I know (who got in) that they are sending out everything regarding advanced standing applicants this week. 

I just checked my SGS account and I have been waitlisted. Which essentially means I did not get in because they don’t rank the waitlist and it basically never moves. 

If someone comments how ‘everything happens for a reason’ or ‘this isn’t your path right now’ I will SCREAM. 

3 minutes ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

I’m not sure if this is true. Angela told a person I know (who got in) that they are sending out everything regarding advanced standing applicants this week. 

I just checked my SGS account and I have been waitlisted. Which essentially means I did not get in because they don’t rank the waitlist and it basically never moves. 

If someone comments how ‘everything happens for a reason’ or ‘this isn’t your path right now’ I will SCREAM. 

What does it say when you are waitlisted on SGS?

Just now, Ihatethissomuch said:

It seems like they just waitlist everyone who meets the minimum requirements. You rarely hear of anyone actually being rejected. 

That is a negative perspective and I'm not sure if that is even true.. some people will reject their place and therefore people will get off wait list 

You’re right. It is negative. I guess I’m just being a realist to a point. Just from scouring the previous forums. 

U of T was the only school I applied to because it’s the only one I really want to go to and I don’t want to have to move. I’m pretty heartbroken. I now have to wait another year before applying again. I’m not young like some folks so this is maybe a bigger issue for me. 

19 minutes ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

You’re right. It is negative. I guess I’m just being a realist to a point. Just from scouring the previous forums. 

U of T was the only school I applied to because it’s the only one I really want to go to and I don’t want to have to move. I’m pretty heartbroken. I now have to wait another year before applying again. I’m not young like some folks so this is maybe a bigger issue for me. 

It's frustrating.. I feel similar.. Ive worked very hard too.. I don't know what I'm missing.

I am considering applying for clinical counselling MA degrees - I want to work in arts-based therapy 

Edited by Chantalilly

1 hour ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

It seems like they just waitlist everyone who meets the minimum requirements. You rarely hear of anyone actually being rejected. 

I got straight up rejected last year, no waitlist, so it does happen. 

UT is extremely competitive! I hope you feel better and receive the news that you were hoping for ?

Just now, ayxl said:

I did!! :) good luck!

Yay! That's awesome! I started reading this thread backwards and I am now on page 12, I am noticing I am having a little bit of a reaction to some people being accepted already to Laurier #catastrophizing