Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

4 minutes ago, the.social.nurse said:

Yay! That's awesome! I started reading this thread backwards and I am now on page 12, I am noticing I am having a little bit of a reaction to some people being accepted already to Laurier #catastrophizing 

Those of us who were accepted to Laurier were for the May cohort not September. Hope this helps your anxiety:)

45 minutes ago, ayxl said:

I got straight up rejected last year, no waitlist, so it does happen. 

UT is extremely competitive! I hope you feel better and receive the news that you were hoping for ?

I realized I didn't answer your previous question... I am interested in ryerson because it has an innovative and anti-oppressive approach to social work and a focus on research. I do research in art and dance as anti- oppressive modes of empowerment, healing and building of the therapeutic relationship, specifically for those living with mental health issues and experiences of trauma. So I think it suits me! 

What are your research interests? 

24 minutes ago, the.social.nurse said:

Thanks for the reframe :)

I was going to say the same thing haha, those acceptances were for a different cohort. have you spoken to any of their admissions officers during the application proces?

19 minutes ago, Chantalilly said:

I realized I didn't answer your previous question... I am interested in ryerson because it has an innovative and anti-oppressive approach to social work and a focus on research. I do research in art and dance as anti- oppressive modes of empowerment, healing and building of the therapeutic relationship, specifically for those living with mental health issues and experiences of trauma. So I think it suits me! 

What are your research interests? 

that's great! your research area sounds very unique and interesting and seems in line with their program, I hope you get in :)

I'm more focused on gerontology. 

all this waiting is killing me lol

2 hours ago, SocialWERK2019 said:

I just got an email saying I’ve been waitlisted for the advanced standing MSW at u of t! Now it’s just time to wait! Has anyone else heard this yet?

Also got waitlisted! Kind of a bummer given how confident I was about getting in, but in agreement with what some other folks have said that at least it's some form of an answer and can now carry on processing and exploring other options/keeping some fingers crossed for movement on the list. 

2 hours ago, SocialWERK2019 said:

I just got an email saying I’ve been waitlisted for the advanced standing MSW at u of t! Now it’s just time to wait! Has anyone else heard this yet?

2 hours ago, Chantalilly said:

I was also waitlisted! ^ above she says everyone is waitlisted... but idn 

I was also waitlisted for the Advanced Standing MSW at UofT. I applied for the Mental Health & Health Stream. I'm wondering if anyone knows how the waitlist actually works? It says we have send back a letter saying we want to stay on the waitlist?

1 hour ago, the.social.nurse said:

Yay! That's awesome! I started reading this thread backwards and I am now on page 12, I am noticing I am having a little bit of a reaction to some people being accepted already to Laurier #catastrophizing 

What season did you apply to? I was accepted but for May season. I know different cohorts have different dates as well. Don't panic!

25 minutes ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

Those of you who have applied to the same school more than once - did you use the same references both times? Just thinking ahead for next year :(

No.

So I applied to UofT twice for the 2 year and this time around for the advanced standing. Right now I'm doing my BSW but I also decided to switch my academic reference. Honestly I wonder if that in part made the difference for me getting accepted because the person I asked was super nice about it and I kicked myself for not asking her in previous years. Plus I really changed up my written statement. 

6 hours ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

You’re right. It is negative. I guess I’m just being a realist to a point. Just from scouring the previous forums. 

U of T was the only school I applied to because it’s the only one I really want to go to and I don’t want to have to move. I’m pretty heartbroken. I now have to wait another year before applying again. I’m not young like some folks so this is maybe a bigger issue for me. 

I know exactly how you feel! Last year I was certain I would get in and then was waitlisted. It sucked but it also allowed me to take some time to refocus my experience and reapply  with a stronger application... (I applied to the two year program so I don’t know if ive made it in yet lol) but regardless it’s important not to beat yourself up! Remain hopeful you get off the wait list and if you don’t, well I believe everything happens for a reason maybe you will gain some incredible experience in the next year!

Got waitlisted for UofT now that I've experienced the first heartbreak I'm really scared for the next three. For people that have gone through this more than once what things did you change about your application on the round that you got in?

4 hours ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

Those of you who have applied to the same school more than once - did you use the same references both times? Just thinking ahead for next year :(

I was waitlisted at UofT last year, I applied again this year (was accepted) and I changed one of my references. I kept my academic and placement reference the same, but used my new supervisor at my place of employment as my third reference! 

15 hours ago, ayxl said:

I was going to say the same thing haha, those acceptances were for a different cohort. have you spoken to any of their admissions officers during the application proces?

No, there was a bit of time crunch to get this in. I had kind of given up on SW for a while because Dalhousie is the closest program to me, and they would not accept at Bachelor of Science in Nursing but then I found that Laurier would! So I had a month to get everything together.

26 minutes ago, iamstressed said:

Anyone else freaking out waiting for UofT 2 year :(?

I am! I'm not holding on to too much hope because it's my first year applying to U of T, Dalhousie hasn't worked out in the past, but I've really worked to strengthen my resume, experience and up my grades! I don't think we'll be hearing for a little while yet, so the stress will continue for a while ? 

9 minutes ago, Dal2UofT said:

I am! I'm not holding on to too much hope because it's my first year applying to U of T, Dalhousie hasn't worked out in the past, but I've really worked to strengthen my resume, experience and up my grades! I don't think we'll be hearing for a little while yet, so the stress will continue for a while ? 

Mid March right?

1 hour ago, iamstressed said:

me!!! second time applying this year, I really hope it works out. last year I didn't hear back until beginning of April. 

2 hours ago, iamstressed said:

Same here along with everyone else! I know schools out east are really competitive, so I don't know what to expect. ? I will probably feel anxious until I hear from them.