Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

3 hours ago, Roosterduck said:

Hi, I am currently in the advanced standing student at the U of T program and will be finishing in April of this year. I have a few thoughts for those applying and feel free to DM me. Please understand that I come from a pretty "heavy academic background." Social work has been really, really easy and understanding that no one can really be completely unbiased ,these comments are my own, but there are others in this program that would agree with these thoughts.  

These are just the "raw" details for the program -

I was waitlisted, but I did get in. I told them blatantly that my end goal was social justice, but not social work. I had pretty decent marks A-/A when applying and several years of experience. My competition was against other BSW students. Most people that enter are pretty young. Profs said "we were the creme of the crop" - this is a not true. Our program is 150-160 2 year program and 84 advanced standing. Most programs are around 40-70 (2-year and advanced standing). How can the biggest program in Canada have all high quality students?? 

Finances- 

When you enter, you pay for three semesters automatically - yes, it is a money making scheme because this was only changed in the past 10 years (my supervisor finished her program in 2 semesters and was charged accordingly). So I paid $11,500 even though I will not take courses this summer. When you finish ALL your required credits, you are "auto graduated" meaning I cannot take courses this summer even though I paid for it (I would have to drop a course now or have enrolled in one less course this term). U of T states this in one of their acceptance packages they will not return your summer money. I would highly recommend taking courses in the summer (online courses if in another city) before the fall so that you can take less courses and find a part time job during the year.  OSAP provided me ... $10,000, that covers tuition pretty well, but I am also getting robbed by Toronto rent. Entrance scholarships are not huge and with many applicants, don't expect to get one or even a large one if you do (unless you are a social work god). Bursaries are offered, but they range from 4k-7k and again, they are highly competitive because there are so many students and getting As these days in undergrad is not hard...

"School of thought" - 

This program is clinical - more traditional. It honestly does not care about AOP, structural or the other more sociology leaning streams of social work. Do not expect your colleagues or profs to talk about gender, class, race in a deep manner. Not to shame, but the profs are mainly white and come from wealthy backgrounds and its evident in who it admits and the ethos of the school. It's all superficial (ie. tagged question at the end of a essay paper) if they do talk about it. This may be a downfall of the program, but coming from a structural background, I wanted a different perspective and was happy to learn some real clinical skills...and not have profs waste class time on a rant about how all white and rich people were evil. 

Placements - 

Placements in the hospitals are highly competitive and they are not all good. I've heard of some amazing positions (I have an amazing placement) and some horrendous (my colleagues have cried to me) - understand that many SWers are in the hospital setting, they are there for the salary and the good working environment (by good, I mean you're not in an underfunded shelter that can't afford pens) - most SW positions in hospital settings are discharge planning (you are there to "transition patients into the community"....kicking people out to keep the manager happy as to not waste "taxpayer dollars").  There are some positions that are counselling, these are legit and I would recommend them. The matching here is algorithm based and no one actually knows how it matches people. Supervisors often say "no" to students in interviews if they do not think you are competent enough - hospital SW is a lot of work. These are "real" interviews. Do not take them lightly - previously in my BSW, you were pretty much given the placement if you asked. Here, you are given a real caseload by supersivors. 

Speaking to the classes -  

U of T has a reputation because of the research of the profs, not their teaching quality. The profs give out many, many A- and A which devalues the work of students that put in real effort. A+ are rarely given out (depends on the prof) because they have to meet the distribution. The concentrations are kinda a marketing gimmick. You only get 2 real courses that are part of your concentration and 2 electives that you can take in any of the fields. You CAN take courses in other concentrations - you just need permission from the prof. The mental health and health is the biggest one - it is a joke. The policy course was boring and poorly managed. I took 2 mental health courses that were at best okay (i'll pay for a crash course in CBT and DBT after this degree). You can totally finish the courses with their timetable recommendations if you are only doing school. I took 3 courses the first term and 4 this term - doing work after placement is hard but its possible. Taking into consideration getting an A- is really easy...you will survive this program even if you academically struggle (assuming you get in).... Students ask for extensions all the time and they are handed out. Some sections will get an extension behind the back of other classes and some kids start papers 2 days before they are due. It's kind of disappointing at a 2nd year graduate program at the "best school of social work". The final papers are objectively less pages (I have a friend at Carleton MSW that I did my BSW with that had a 17 page final paper while the most ive written is 10) and before you say "shorter papers are harder" - they mark them way easier ... so no.

Final recommendations -

do not get discouraged if you are not accepted here.  If you want social work, you as a person speak more than the degree on your resume. You can learn all the content by yourself and let's be real - sitting in class won't make you more passionate about social justice, empathetic or give you better conversational skills (experience will). This program is at best - "okay" for 2 year program applicants. BSW students entering will learn almost nothing from the classes as the program content is tailored towards 2 year students that are still learning the fundamentals and considering you're paying almost $12 000.....it's kind of a laugh. Pls DM me if you have questions :) and again, these are my thoughts, but my friend laughed when she read over this because there was agreement. I am here because I wanted to work in Toronto after graduation (and I do have an edge over York and Ryerson - reputation and U of T has a monopoly on placements here) and I was not expecting to come to this school - I only applied for the fun of it. DM me if you have questions! 

Also an advanced standing currently in the program and I couldn't agree more with this. You're paying for the prestige on your resume and monopoly over placements. Only a handful of the courses you take will be practical and useful (in MH and H anyway). Also available to chat if anyone wants to DM me.

3 hours ago, SocialWERK2019 said:

Anyone who got accepted into the U of T advanced standing program: when is your deadline to accept? I’m currently on the waitlist and I’m just wondering if there is a possibility of movement any time soon? I know it’s a long shot, but I’ve recently talked to two people who were accepted off the waitlist in previous years. 

Thanks!

I was waitlisted for advanced standing and was given a call by the school end of March/early April right before undergraduate exams. 

Edit - friend says about 1 month 

Edited by Roosterduck

2 hours ago, sundayswimmer said:

Just got accepted into UVic MSW Foundation. It was an email sent out this morning.They are only giving us until March 18th to accept or decline!

Good luck to all out there who are still waiting!!!

Congratulations! That is so exciting ?

For those in advanced standing at U of T, is it possible to work at all during the year. Even just part time hours? If so, how many hours a week? Or do most people just not work during the year. Trying to plan my life financially as tuition aaaaint cheap. Open to hearing from people who went to York and Ryerson as well

Edited by Anniemsw

7 hours ago, Roosterduck said:

When someone looks at your resume, they will see what you have done at your placement and hire people according to that. You can go to U of T and have an average placement (and I know students that do)- Employers would not take someone just based on the little university emblem they are representing over someone from Carleton that has had a superb placement and a CV that reflects that.

You seem passionate and driven. Good luck in your choice and just remember - the school doesn't make the social worker, you as a person does (my friend at U of T told that to me when I was deciding between accepting Carleton MSW and U of T).

I can't thank you enough for all your responses and encouragement!  You've helped me with my decision-making process and to feel better about where to go from here.  You make excellent points and so correct...the person does indeed make the social worker!  Thanks for the reminder and all your responses.  Much appreciated :)

28 minutes ago, Laurabeth79 said:

I can't thank you enough for all your responses and encouragement!  You've helped me with my decision-making process and to feel better about where to go from here.  You make excellent points and so correct...the person does indeed make the social worker!  Thanks for the reminder and all your responses.  Much appreciated :)

Best of luck! Follow your gut and intuition, you'll make the right decision. 

9 hours ago, Laurabeth79 said:

Is anyone on here currently attending Carleton MSW Advanced standing program?  I only have until tomorrow to accept my offer and I can't seem to find out if it's a worthwhile program or not.  I just got accepted to Laurier, but they are offering far less funding, and U of T is offering nothing.  Money is really an issue for me at this point so I'm struggling with turning down a great funding package based on the fact that people tell me Carleton is a second tier school.  Just looking for some guidance...don't hear much about Carleton on here so if anyone has any insight I would be forever grateful!  Thanks and big congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far!  Exciting times :)

How much is the funding difference? Honestly this is the first I've heard of "second tier" schools! If an MSW program is CASWE accredited I would be lead to believe it is a good program. That being said I did not go to Carleton so I don't have first hand knowledge. Congrats on getting multiple offers though! Maybe I will see you at Laurier should you choose it :)

1 minute ago, Purple-Elephant said:

How much is the funding difference? Honestly this is the first I've heard of "second tier" schools! If an MSW program is CASWE accredited I would be lead to believe it is a good program. That being said I did not go to Carleton so I don't have first hand knowledge. Congrats on getting multiple offers though! Maybe I will see you at Laurier should you choose it :)

Hey :)  Funding difference is about $3000 which is substantial for me! And honestly I had not heard of second-tier schools either until someone on a board somewhere mentioned it, and I started wondering!  Carleton is CASWE accredited, and I appreciate you reiterating that for me!  And thank you!  I was totally shocked to be accepted to a few places as I honestly didn't think I would have much of a decision to make! And yes, our paths may cross...cheers!

1 hour ago, Laurabeth79 said:

Hey :)  Funding difference is about $3000 which is substantial for me! And honestly I had not heard of second-tier schools either until someone on a board somewhere mentioned it, and I started wondering!  Carleton is CASWE accredited, and I appreciate you reiterating that for me!  And thank you!  I was totally shocked to be accepted to a few places as I honestly didn't think I would have much of a decision to make! And yes, our paths may cross...cheers!

If you can arrive at the same destination with your schooling paid for then I would attend the school with the most funding available. At the end of the day it really does not matter what school you attend. You will end up with the same crudentials and access to the same employment. When you have interviews for future employment it will be based on you!!!! Not the school you attended. 

41 minutes ago, SW-kNM said:

If you can arrive at the same destination with your schooling paid for then I would attend the school with the most funding available. At the end of the day it really does not matter what school you attend. You will end up with the same crudentials and access to the same employment. When you have interviews for future employment it will be based on you!!!! Not the school you attended. 

Thank you!  I needed that reminder!  Greatly appreciated :)

Just received an email with an acceptance to Western/King's advance standing starting in September! I am excited to have been offered acceptance at every program I have applied to. I don't see any funding offers at all though from Western, so I believe I will be declining the offer and accepting at Laurier for next fall. Good luck to everyone else who applied there and if you were waitlisted you have some hope through me. I feel positive given that they only accept ~15 people each year :)

Hi All, I've just received my acceptance to Westerns 1 year MSW program as well. I've already accepted my offer to UofT so I will be declining Kings. Fingers crossed for those of you on the waitlist, that's 2 positions now reopened!

50 minutes ago, Bellis-Perennis said:

Hi All, I've just received my acceptance to Westerns 1 year MSW program as well. I've already accepted my offer to UofT so I will be declining Kings. Fingers crossed for those of you on the waitlist, that's 2 positions now reopened!

Hey! Just curious, did you get offered any scholarships for Western? From my research it looks like they only give out three $1500 scholarships to the highest admission averages and then have 8 $1800 TA spots.

Does anyone have any better info? :)

congrats to all those receiving good news - especially about funding!

adulting is HARD.  i am trying to make a decision.  is there anyone from hamilton going into the laurier msw advanced standing program?  complications - i don't have my full license yet and my partner needs the car and we can't afford another, so i would likely need to try to figure out carpooling because transit options are not great.  

1 hour ago, Purple-Elephant said:

Just received an email with an acceptance to Western/King's advance standing starting in September! I am excited to have been offered acceptance at every program I have applied to. I don't see any funding offers at all though from Western, so I believe I will be declining the offer and accepting at Laurier for next fall. Good luck to everyone else who applied there and if you were waitlisted you have some hope through me. I feel positive given that they only accept ~15 people each year :)

do you know if for westerns 2 year programs they usually send their acceptances the same day , or is it the same format that the 1 year programs get to know first then later the 2 years? 

48 minutes ago, hamilton32 said:

do you know if for westerns 2 year programs they usually send their acceptances the same day , or is it the same format that the 1 year programs get to know first then later the 2 years? 

I just looked through last years forum and it looks like it happened around the same time! Few day difference