Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

Hi all! Good luck on your applications. Just wanted to drop a line and say if you have questions about the York 1 year program, I’ve just started and am happy to try to answer them. 

I can also talk about St Thomas’s 15 month BSW!

Let me know and good luck. I know how much of a nightmare this process can be (holy shiiiiit) but remember that an acceptance or a rejection does not determine who you ARE, nor how good you could be as a social worker. Most of the time it’s a shitty numbers game. I know that isn’t that helpful, but you have many months of stress left to go - try not to burn out on it too early!!

Hi everyone. I was wondering, for the people that already have a BSW, what is your main reason for doing an MSW? Is it because the jobs/pay is better? Or other reasons? I don't know, I just want to be a social worker and already have a BA and MA so might as well do an MSW. But if you have a BSW you can be a social worker from what I understand so just wondering what benefits an MSW has over a BSW. :) 

10 hours ago, veecee said:

Hi everyone. I was wondering, for the people that already have a BSW, what is your main reason for doing an MSW? Is it because the jobs/pay is better? Or other reasons? I don't know, I just want to be a social worker and already have a BA and MA so might as well do an MSW. But if you have a BSW you can be a social worker from what I understand so just wondering what benefits an MSW has over a BSW. :) 

I don't have a BSW, but my main reason for wanting to do a MSW is so I can work as a mental health therapist.  I am applying for Masters of Counselling Psychology programs as well, and whatever I end up getting accepted into, is what I will do.  I live in Alberta and most of the job postings I see for mental health therapists need either a MSW or MC. I don't think a BSW can work as a clinical social worker, I could be wrong though.  

2 hours ago, dem13 said:

I don't have a BSW, but my main reason for wanting to do a MSW is so I can work as a mental health therapist.  I am applying for Masters of Counselling Psychology programs as well, and whatever I end up getting accepted into, is what I will do.  I live in Alberta and most of the job postings I see for mental health therapists need either a MSW or MC. I don't think a BSW can work as a clinical social worker, I could be wrong though.  

Which Masters of Counselling Psych programs have you applied to? I've been accepted to one already!

15 hours ago, magfish said:

Hi all! Good luck on your applications. Just wanted to drop a line and say if you have questions about the York 1 year program, I’ve just started and am happy to try to answer them. 

I can also talk about St Thomas’s 15 month BSW!

Let me know and good luck. I know how much of a nightmare this process can be (holy shiiiiit) but remember that an acceptance or a rejection does not determine who you ARE, nor how good you could be as a social worker. Most of the time it’s a shitty numbers game. I know that isn’t that helpful, but you have many months of stress left to go - try not to burn out on it too early!!

Hi @magfish! Would you be able to expand more on your experience at St. Thomas? What was the application process like? Were you allowed to choose placements outside of Fredericton? Thanks so much :)

2 hours ago, bemore85 said:

Which Masters of Counselling Psych programs have you applied to? I've been accepted to one already!

I'm just doing the prerequisites for the Masters of Counselling at Athabasca.  Trying to get them done before February so I can apply.  If I don't get accepted there, I'm going to try Yorkville I think. Which one were you accepted to?

3 hours ago, dem13 said:

I'm just doing the prerequisites for the Masters of Counselling at Athabasca.  Trying to get them done before February so I can apply.  If I don't get accepted there, I'm going to try Yorkville I think. Which one were you accepted to?

I have been accepted to Yorkville! I have a friend from work who just graduated and is now working in a hospital in BC doing counselling and she really enjoyed it. I didn't apply to Athabasca - if my memory is correct, they wanted you to do 3 wks on campus in AB and it would have been very difficult for me to manage that!

Hi everyone, I followed the 2018 forum for a while and I am super anxious to start applying this year! I am currently in my fourth year at Western  doing an Honours Specialization in Anthropology with a minor in Thanatology (the study of grief and bereavement). I'm applying to Lakehead's HBSW (both campuses), Western/King's 2 year MSW, and Laurier's 2 year MSW. 

My marks aren't anything spectacular, and I only decided in my third year that this was the path for me so I have been trying to build up relevant experience in a short period of time. I have been working in residence life for three years so I have a lot of experience with students with thoughts of suicide, sexual assault survivors, and a variety of mental illnesses. This year I am staring a new volunteer position at a sexual assault centre as a crisis line responder. I feel like I am not doing enough, so if I am able to balance my job, volunteer position, and course load, I may also volunteer at Kids Help Phone!

I am really learning towards Lakehead Thunder Bay campus, because I feel like I can really bring myself up with the personal statement exam. Does anyone know anyone who was accepted into this program? I'm just really scared because I see that some of you have a really high gpa with 6000 hours of experience! 

3 hours ago, Meg_gray11 said:

Hi everyone, I followed the 2018 forum for a while and I am super anxious to start applying this year! I am currently in my fourth year at Western  doing an Honours Specialization in Anthropology with a minor in Thanatology (the study of grief and bereavement). I'm applying to Lakehead's HBSW (both campuses), Western/King's 2 year MSW, and Laurier's 2 year MSW. 

My marks aren't anything spectacular, and I only decided in my third year that this was the path for me so I have been trying to build up relevant experience in a short period of time. I have been working in residence life for three years so I have a lot of experience with students with thoughts of suicide, sexual assault survivors, and a variety of mental illnesses. This year I am staring a new volunteer position at a sexual assault centre as a crisis line responder. I feel like I am not doing enough, so if I am able to balance my job, volunteer position, and course load, I may also volunteer at Kids Help Phone!

I am really learning towards Lakehead Thunder Bay campus, because I feel like I can really bring myself up with the personal statement exam. Does anyone know anyone who was accepted into this program? I'm just really scared because I see that some of you have a really high gpa with 6000 hours of experience! 

Hello from another Anthropology major! Lol!  I graduated from Memorial University of NL back in 2003.  I specialized in archaeology and I did not fare well in regards to employment.  Went back to school and did the LPN program because it was quick with high employment rate, and have been working in that field for 11 years. Time for a change though!  I wouldn’t worry about everyone else’s GPA and experience hours.  They look at your personal statement and references too.  Everything is not about grades. My GPA isn’t spectacular either...I started out as a computer science major which really ruined my overall GPA.  My last couple years were decent though so I’m hoping that helps.  Good luck!

4 hours ago, bemore85 said:

I have been accepted to Yorkville! I have a friend from work who just graduated and is now working in a hospital in BC doing counselling and she really enjoyed it. I didn't apply to Athabasca - if my memory is correct, they wanted you to do 3 wks on campus in AB and it would have been very difficult for me to manage that!

Yes that’s my major concern about Athabasca as well.  I actually live in Alberta (Grande Prairie) so the summer institute in Calgary wouldn’t be too far out of reach for me. But I have a job and kids and it would still be hard for me to just take off.  Ideally I’d like to do something fully online.  How did your friend like the Yorkville program?  Glad to hear it’s not too hard to get employment afterwards.  I always worry about online programs and employability afterwards.

Hi everyone, I have been following these MSW forums for that past few years and now sadly it's my turn to suffer. I've spent the past few weeks looking at the application process for York, UofT, Ryerson, and Waterloo and at this point, I just wanna rip my hair out (these applications and supplementary forms are way too long). It's also pretty intimidating seeing how others that are also applying have a ton of experience in the field 

I just recently finished my BSW from Ryerson and am looking at applying for the advanced standing programs. I would LOVE to hear from anyone else that has applied right after completing their BSW. 

I also wanted to know, for those that have previously applied and gotten accepted.. a lot of the universities ask you to give them a specific number in terms of hours you have completed in the different places that you have worked and/or volunteered at. What do you do if you don't know the exact number, do you just guess and does this hurt your application. 

Thanks in advance!

Hello Everyone!

This will be my second time applying this year to the 2 year MSW program at the University of Toronto. I have about an 88 average in my last 2 years, and approximately 1500 hours of social service experience. I have about 1000 hours of customer service experience so I hope that helps my application. 

Since this is my second time applying, I am a bit more nervous than I was before. I am worried that I do not have enough experience to get accepted this year. I was placed on the waitlist for last year.

I will also be applying to Lakehead's HBSW program! 

I also wanted to apply to Yorkville's Counselling Psychology program but I am a bit worried about securing a placement and completing it all online.

Edited by spers

33 minutes ago, spers said:

Hello Everyone!

This will be my second time applying this year to the 2 year MSW program at the University of Toronto. I have about an 88 average in my last 2 years, and approximately 1500 hours of social service experience. I have about 1000 hours of customer service experience so I hope that helps my application. 

Since this is my second time applying, I am a bit more nervous than I was before. I am worried that I do not have enough experience to get accepted this year. I was placed on the waitlist for last year.

I will also be applying to Lakehead's HBSW program! 

I also wanted to apply to Yorkville's Counselling Psychology program but I am a bit worried about securing a placement and completing it all online.

I did a bit of research on Yorkville’s program a few days ago and the reviews are terrible.  A lot of people dropped out after a few weeks, felt the content did not prepare them well for a job as a counsellor.  It’s also like $40,000+.  I think it would be a last resort for me.

45 minutes ago, hellohamilton said:

hi all!  i thought i'd let folks know who are waiting on the laurier program that i e-mailed the administrator and notification will go out mid-october.  not a lot of time to plan - yeesh!

Keeps getting pushed up. Next thing they'll be saying early November.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge about McMaster's MSW program? I don't see it mentioned on here much so I am wondering if there is a reason for that. 

I am hoping to apply for the Advanced Standing MSW programs at Waterloo, Laurier, and possibly Kings (Western). McMaster would be convenient for various reasons.

I feel like the deadlines for applications are approaching quickly. I need to secure my references so that I can move forward in the process. Exciting and nerve-racking! 

Hello everyone,

I am a master of counselling student from Hong Kong and I am really interested in applying the 2-year MSW in Canada in 2019. As I am not a Canadian, I am not sure how much chance I would be get admitted. I am so happy to find this forum and found some information. It would be great if anyone could kindly share and give some advice. Thanks 

My academic background:

BSc (Hons) Business Management in the UK, second lower class honour 

Master of Counselling in Hong Kong, GPA 3.48 (Expected completion in 2019)

My relevant work experience:

900 hours, Worked as a communication officer role in people with disabilities service agency

2000 hours, Worked as an education programme manager serving the underprivileged kids

My referee:

My supervisor at the agency I worked for 

My supervisor at my placement 

2 professors from my master programme 

My preferred schools in Canada:

Carleton University 

Western University (King's University College)

I have a question for anyone reapplying to UofT. On the application form there is an optional section that asks how you have strengthened your application. For anyone filling out this section, are you listing the ways you have improved your application or are you going to write a little paragraph. The forms seems to have it set up where you list it but I feel like its better to write a small paragraph. I would appreciate any advice! thanks. 

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, idmsw said:

I have a question for anyone reapplying to UofT. On the application form there is an optional section that asks how you have strengthened your application. For anyone filling out this section, are you listing the ways you have improved your application or are you going to write a little paragraph. The forms seems to have it set up where you list it but I feel like its better to write a small paragraph. I would appreciate any advice! thanks. 

I am debating whether to fill out this section or not. If I were to fill it out, I would write a little paragraph noting any added experience, GPA improvement, etc. If you are reapplying for advanced standing, I would be specific in regard to the stream you are applying to. 

6 minutes ago, jaynie said:

To those who waiting to hear from Laurier MSW Jan start....I just got accepted:)  So keep checking your e-mails..good luck, hope to be in virtual class with you:)

Congrats!!!  I wonder if they send them all out the same day or not?  I’ll be on edge all day! Lol!