Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

30 minutes ago, Sammy1 said:

Wow that is an astonishing accomplishment. Could you let us hopefuls know a bit about yourself, gpa experience, whatever :)

At the time that I applied to full time programs I had about 4,000 work hours, 800 in my BSW practicum, and 600 volunteer hours. I made a post about myself early in this forum, I will just paste it here! Hopefully this helps.

About myself: I finished my BSW at UWaterloo in 2016 with a 92% cumulative average. I finished my BA in Social Development Studies also at UWaterloo with a 80% overall (damn you first year grades). If you are looking at my last 10 courses/5 full credits my average was 91.5%

I have 4,000 hours of professional/work experience and 550 hours of volunteer experience. I haven't volunteered in 2018 due to the hours of my full-time job being very unaccommodating which scares me. Post-BSW experience includes full-time work at a drop-in centre for teenagers for over a year, providing counselling and referral services and developing/facilitating programs; working as a respite caregiver (supporting a young person with autism) beginning nearly 2 years ago; and completing a 4 month full-time contract as a caseworker with individuals who have disabilities, teaching life skills one-on-one and leading group workshops. Volunteer wise I was part of a group that provided support to Canadian newcomers, and have volunteered for environmental initiatives. My BSW placement was working in youth addictions. Related experience I had Pre-BSW includes a summer job working for CMHA and a lot of volunteer experience with people who have disabilities and seniors. 

1 hour ago, Purple-Elephant said:

At the time that I applied to full time programs I had about 4,000 work hours, 800 in my BSW practicum, and 600 volunteer hours. I made a post about myself early in this forum, I will just paste it here! Hopefully this helps.

Thank you and congrats on your achievements! :)

On 3/4/2019 at 10:16 AM, the.social.nurse said:

Full disclosure: Have never attended Dal. I work with ++ social workers who enjoyed Waterloo and bash Dal, especially the undergrad program. I know about 5 who have completed DAL MSW and they said it did not blow them away and at the same time got them the piece of paper they needed. Part of the reason why I didn't apply there.

I attended Dal's BSW. I enjoyed it, however it was very social justice and research-oriented and not very practical. I have heard the MSW is a lot more practical though. I've heard really good things about Waterloo's MSW, which is very clinical. So it really depends what you're looking for. 

On 3/5/2019 at 2:58 PM, Roosterduck said:

I was waitlisted for advanced standing and was given a call by the school end of March/early April right before undergraduate exams. 

Edit - friend says about 1 month 

Thank you for your response!

1 hour ago, Anniemsw said:

Congrats Chantalilly I know you were anxious about hearing back about acceptances/ starting to lose hope. You deserve it!

Thanks so much girl! congrats to you too. I think that in hindsight schools try to pick good matches and I didn’t fit u of t as well as I fit Laurier and ryerson. 

Edited by Chantalilly

7 hours ago, Chantalilly said:

I just got into ryerson 

Does anyone know what would be considered a good amount of funding? I was so excited to get the call and now it's on to the next phase of stressing - figuring out how to pay for this 

I haven't heard back from any schools yet and I'm starting to get really worried. I haven't been rejected or waitlisted, I'm just pending or "in review" or "in consideration" everywhere. I applied to York, Ryerson, Arizona State University, and University of Texas so obviously the latter two schools don't apply here but I know ASU started getting back to people weeks ago. Am I screwed?

Edited by MirandaVC

2 minutes ago, MirandaVC said:

I haven't heard back from any schools yet and I'm starting to get really worried. I haven't been rejected or waitlisted, I'm just pending or "in review" or "in consideration" everywhere. I applied to York, Ryerson, Arizona State University, and University of Texas so obviously the latter two schools don't apply here but I know ASU started getting back to people weeks ago. Am I screwed?

I don’t think York has sent out acceptances yet. 

35 minutes ago, sleepydeprived said:

Does anyone know what would be considered a good amount of funding? I was so excited to get the call and now it's on to the next phase of stressing - figuring out how to pay for this 

Hey, so from Laurier I got 9000$ and from Ryerson I got $4000

2 hours ago, Chantalilly said:

Thank you so much!! Have you heard? 

no I haven't heard back from anywhere yet, just trying to remain calm while waiting ?

exciting to see that acceptances are starting to roll out though! and so happy you got into ryerson regardless of whether you choose to go there or not :) 

2 hours ago, sleepydeprived said:

Depends on if you're a TA or not. 13k is what I formerly was offered to be a TA for 2 terms. 

Edited by Roosterduck

1 hour ago, Roosterduck said:

Depends on if you're a TA or not. 13k is what I formerly was offered to be a TA for 2 terms. 

I was half asleep when I got the call but I believe they just said scholarship. 

4 hours ago, Chantalilly said:

Hey, so from Laurier I got 9000$ and from Ryerson I got $4000

Damn, that sounds amazing in terms of what Laurier is offering. I was told 6k from Ryerson.

Good luck to everyone else that is still waiting to hear back and don't give up hope. I know I'm always curious about others so I'll share a bit about my "journey" and hopefully it will help ease anxiety for people looking forward to applying next year.

I finished my BSW from Ryerson in 5 years - I spent my 5th year just doing my placement & seminar course along with working full time (not in the social work field). I just got my BSW this past spring. I held off applying last year because I didn't think I was going to get any acceptances since it seemed like everyone else was smarter and had more experience. So instead I applied to a college program that only looked at your grades and had no supplementary application forms.  This fall I told myself it was finally the year I was going to apply however for some reason I could not mentally bring myself to work on any of the applications. There was a mental block that was there, and I just couldn't move past it. On top of that, I had I was taking 8 courses, working a job that required overnights/rotating shifts and personal life was also getting overwhelming. Just before December I finally told myself I could not afford to wait anymore so I emailed my two seminar profs to see if I could use them as a reference. One of them had moved to another school however I was still able to get in touch with them and they were so supportive and encouraging. My other prof just never replied to the email. I was told my number of my profs throughout my BSW that references from your seminar profs will speak the most volume. So I was exhausted, overwhelmed and only had one academic reference I was about to give up again. However, seeing that I did have one professor as a reference and my professional reference I decided to apply to Ryerson. I wrote my application the night before it was due and submitted it and one of my references was submitted one month late. 

This brings us to today when I received a call from Ryerson this morning offering me admissions. Almost an hour later I received another call offering me a hospital placement for the program I am currently finishing up. 

tl;dr: Shit happens, but there is hope. 

30 minutes ago, hamilton32 said:

Does U of Ts second year program accept alot more students then say Western or other universities? Ive heard different things so just wondering ! 

Yes, from what I have read they have a much larger program (around 150 students) whereas Western accepts 15, and Laurier not much more than that either. However, you have to think about how many people live in Toronto and how many applications they receive too. Not sure what their admission % is. I would be interested to know though!

Edited by Purple-Elephant

9 minutes ago, Purple-Elephant said:

Yes, from what I have read they have a much larger program (around 150 students) whereas Western accepts 15, and Laurier not much more than that either. However, you have to think about how many people live in Toronto and how many applications they receive too. Not sure what their admission % is. I would be interested to know though!

Yes totally understandable, was just wondering! 

15 hours ago, SocialWERK2019 said:

I attended Dal's BSW. I enjoyed it, however it was very social justice and research-oriented and not very practical. I have heard the MSW is a lot more practical though. I've heard really good things about Waterloo's MSW, which is very clinical. So it really depends what you're looking for. 

that is consistent with what I've heard :)