Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

14 minutes ago, msw96 said:

I did! I'm still completely shocked that I got accepted! Good luck to everyone waiting on hearing back!!

Congrats! That's so exciting. Do you mind if I ask when you heard back and what was the email subject line. Additionally, I am kind of worried about my last two years average, do you mind sharing what your average was? 

4 minutes ago, Canadamsw2019 said:

I also received an acceptance from Western today!! I don’t think I will be accepting it as I’ve received generous funding from Carleton. 

Congrats, on both acceptances, it's nice that you Carleton has given sufficient funding. Do you mind telling me what your average was? 

1 hour ago, KD.msw said:

My Loris updated today stating that my application was unsuccessful. I did not receive an email. I applied to the advanced standing MSW program.

I'm very sorry to hear this. My Loris also stated that I was an unsuccessful candidate. 

Hopefully we all get into the other schools we applied to. 

3 hours ago, Laurabeth79 said:

U of T wants an answer by March 19th (for me anyway).  My letter was dated Feb 19/19 and they want an answer within four weeks of the letter.  Hope that helps!  Also, I'm turning down my offer there as I've been offered funding elsewhere so there will be a spot open!  Best of luck :)

Thanks for the info!

By the way, I've heard good things about Carleton, and of course Ottawa is beautiful :) congrats!

37 minutes ago, acciojenna said:

Waitlisted at Western! Merp. mixed feelings. 

I feel you. Do you know how many people they place on a wait list usually and what the chances of getting in based on that is ? What did your email say? 

On 3/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, hamilton32 said:

If you dont mind me asking , what was your application like for u of t?

Like did you have alot of experience, good grades and so on? 

If you feel ok telling me ! 

I did have good grades, a 92% average when graduating. Keep in mind, though, that I had the same average the first time that I applied and got rejected across the board, so I don't think grades are a huge part of it. Don't let grades freak you out.

I had very little research experience. And by very little, I mean only projects I had to do as part of my two research courses - nothing extra! Quite minimal compared to others.

I don't remember the exact amount of hours I had for experience. I'm sure I could find it in my application if you really want to know. I had done a good deal of volunteering in social services (i.e. with people with intellectual and physical disabilities, learning settings for children, etc), but I wouldn't say it was a crazy amount. I believe my work experiences that I accumulated in the year and a half between my first round of rejections and finally getting started on an MSW is what helped. I worked in youth justice the entire time, in various capacities. These experiences not only amounted to more hours, but also solidified my desire to get my MSW so I could work with the youth in the capacity I wanted, so I felt renewed excitement to apply the second time around. It also gave me more concrete experience to write about in my letters! All this to say that rejection really can be a blessing in disguise at times. 

I hope this helps. I'm sorry if it sounds vague. I also had my own personal life experiences that pushed me towards an MSW of course, which I wrote about in my letters of intent. Truthfully, I found that comparing my stats to other people only freaked me out more, and it can be difficult to tell who gets accepted based on stats alone. I think this is because personal intent and the way you can articulate your goals and what you will bring to the program also accounts for a great deal in the applications. Trust me, I thought I was going to have to work for YEARS before getting into the program, just based off other peoples' stats! 

Either way, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions :) 

Edited by nicoleMSW

1 hour ago, SocialWERK2019 said:

Thanks for the info!

By the way, I've heard good things about Carleton, and of course Ottawa is beautiful :) congrats!

You are quite welcome! And thanks for the encouragement about Carleton!  It was a tough decision, but I really do like Ottawa :)

11 hours ago, Canadamsw2019 said:

I also received an acceptance from Western today!! I don’t think I will be accepting it as I’ve received generous funding from Carleton. 

This is probably too nosy LOL but what funding does Carleton offer? I have heard a few people say it’s good!

I honestly didn’t think I’d be able to afford a full time program after the OSAP changes (thanks Doug) but a lot of MSWs seem to be better funded than I thought 

2 hours ago, Purple-Elephant said:

This is probably too nosy LOL but what funding does Carleton offer? I have heard a few people say it’s good!

I honestly didn’t think I’d be able to afford a full time program after the OSAP changes (thanks Doug) but a lot of MSWs seem to be better funded than I thought 

I’m not sure how their actual amounts compare to other programs. But I know that they offer various entrance scholarships along with a few Teaching Assistantships! 

51 minutes ago, MirandaVC said:

I haven't heard anything from Ryerson yet.

I've already accepted an offer to Carleton, but I did apply to Ryerson and have not heard anything either.  No email and nothing on RAMSS (or whatever it is).

I heard today that York would start giving acceptances sometime next week. I'm looking forward to hearing back from them as I got rejected from Laurier because they wanted applicants with a lot of experience (3-6 years in the field).

For those who got into York's advanced standing MSW last year, how many hours in the field did you have and what was your GPA like? 

On 3/7/2019 at 10:26 AM, socialworkit said:

I'm a second year student in BSW and I'd love to get into the Gerontology stream at UOFT for my MSW. May I ask what your experience, GPA etc was for UOFT? Do you also have alot of experience with the elderly? I have some experience from volunteer and field experience. Most of my experience is from my current job working with adults with intellectual disabilities so I'm not sure if the mental health stream would be more fitting.

It's great you're planning ahead! Most of my experience is also with individuals with intellectual disabilities. When I contacted U of T regarding their mental health stream, they did not specify if they included intellectual/developmental disabilities or dual diagnoses into this stream. They referred me to review the curriculum content of the mental health stream which did not have intellectual/developmental disabilities or dual diagnoses listed down under their course descriptions. Since I'm not in the program, I'm not sure if they are looking for people with experience in the disability sector for their mental health stream. 

It's important to apply to a stream you are most passionate about while accumulating more experience in the sector you want to work with ?

For people who did their MSW in the mental health stream, did the curriculum cover various disabilities? 

Edited by SC-MSW 2019

Hey guys... I’m struggling to decide between Laurier and ryerson. 

My interest as I have discussed before is in arts based alternative forms of therapy for people with experiences of trauma and mental health. 

I hope to open my own practice which makes diverse alternative therapies  accessible  and anti oppressive.  As well I want to continue my research and in arranging community engaged events/ worktshops. 

Laurier gave me 9000 and ryerson gave me 4000... I’ve lived in Waterloo for a long time so I do know the city but I really had it in my head that I wouldn’t get into Laurier and then became excited by ryerson. 

Could someone advise me in terms of what is a better fit for me in your eyes? As well as in terms of differences in reputations?

Edited by Chantalilly

16 hours ago, Golden10 said:

Just wondering - those who have been accepted to Laurier 1 year advanced standing - is there anyone not accepting? 

I'm declining my offer as I've accepted an offer from Carleton (better location for me and some more funding).  Hope that helps!

Hello fellow two-year applicants!

I've been waitlisted at Carleton and have received an offer from Western. I'd love to go there (the small class really appeals) but I'd also like to see if I receive funding elsewhere, since money is tight. I also applied at Laurier, York, and U of T, and have received no word, but Western wants me to accept their offer by Friday ... any idea whether it's appropriate to ask for an extension since so few of the other schools have given word? A week turnaround for a decision seems really tight!

Thanks for any help -- been lurking for awhile, and it's been nice seeing everyone's success :)

19 hours ago, MSW2019 said:

Anyone heard anything from Laurier’s 2 year MSW program yet?

We have to wait until late March/early April. It's coming up soon! ?

They send an e-mail if we are accepted. Or a snail mail letter if we are not :(