Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

6 minutes ago, SageAU said:

We have to wait until late March/early April. It's coming up soon! ?

They send an e-mail if we are accepted. Or a snail mail letter if we are not :(

is it the same for part time as well? 

10 hours ago, mswash said:

Hello fellow two-year applicants!

I've been waitlisted at Carleton and have received an offer from Western. I'd love to go there (the small class really appeals) but I'd also like to see if I receive funding elsewhere, since money is tight. I also applied at Laurier, York, and U of T, and have received no word, but Western wants me to accept their offer by Friday ... any idea whether it's appropriate to ask for an extension since so few of the other schools have given word? A week turnaround for a decision seems really tight!

Thanks for any help -- been lurking for awhile, and it's been nice seeing everyone's success :)

Call and ask for an extension on the deadline.

2 hours ago, Golden10 said:

Oh no! Sorry to hear you are un sure, what schools are you on the fence about?

mainly just logistical stuff.  i live in hamilton and don't have my full license so would need to take public transit - of which there is basically none.  as well, i have a toddler and am just not sure if daycare will work out.  and i also may have a full-time job offer (fingers crossed) next week which i wouldn't want to leave for school.  just a lot of variables.

i would LOVE to attend the program as in person learning is so much better, but i will probably go to dalhousie in the end.  still mulling it over.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:24 PM, SK19 said:

Congrats! That's so exciting. Do you mind if I ask when you heard back and what was the email subject line. Additionally, I am kind of worried about my last two years average, do you mind sharing what your average was? 

Thank you! The subject line was just Offer of Admission I believe, and I had a 3.7 GPA

12 hours ago, mswash said:

Hello fellow two-year applicants!

I've been waitlisted at Carleton and have received an offer from Western. I'd love to go there (the small class really appeals) but I'd also like to see if I receive funding elsewhere, since money is tight. I also applied at Laurier, York, and U of T, and have received no word, but Western wants me to accept their offer by Friday ... any idea whether it's appropriate to ask for an extension since so few of the other schools have given word? A week turnaround for a decision seems really tight!

Thanks for any help -- been lurking for awhile, and it's been nice seeing everyone's success :)

That's exactly what I'm worried about. I'd love more time to see if I hear back from anyone else. Let me know if you end up contacting them for an extension!

Edited by msw96

1 hour ago, hellohamilton said:

mainly just logistical stuff.  i live in hamilton and don't have my full license so would need to take public transit - of which there is basically none.  as well, i have a toddler and am just not sure if daycare will work out.  and i also may have a full-time job offer (fingers crossed) next week which i wouldn't want to leave for school.  just a lot of variables.

i would LOVE to attend the program as in person learning is so much better, but i will probably go to dalhousie in the end.  still mulling it over.

Ah, sounds like there are definitely a lot of factors in play! All the best with your decision making :)

1 hour ago, Chantalilly said:

Ill be accepting my offer to Laurier and declining my offer from ryerson! Best of luck to those on the waitlist XX

That sounds amazing! Congrats!!

Out of curiosity, did Ryerson already sent out all their acceptances (and applicants they wait-listed)? Asking for a friend.

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Dal2UofT said:

Anyone else waiting on U of T 2 year MSW starting to get really anxious to find out? 

I am! I really hope we get word next week and not the last week of March. 

5 minutes ago, SageAU said:

The online part-time program that would start Sept 2019? 

Not until end of May/early June! Hang tight ❤️ 

that is a long, long wait. I hope it's worth it. did you apply to that program as well? 

Hi! Been following this thread and I’ve noticed no one has talked about UBC this year still!

is anyone currently in the UBC msw program or has anyone heard back?? ? just looking for some recent feedback on the program/ social work education in Vancouver. Thanks! 

6 hours ago, mswash said:

I am! I really hope we get word next week and not the last week of March. 

Based on last year's thread, we may hear around March 27th? It's hard to say because I know it varies every year. I have also been super anxious on waiting to hear back.

1 hour ago, Sarahmsw2019 said:

Hi! Been following this thread and I’ve noticed no one has talked about UBC this year still!

is anyone currently in the UBC msw program or has anyone heard back?? ? just looking for some recent feedback on the program/ social work education in Vancouver. Thanks! 

I'm just finishing up my BSW at UBC this spring - can't speak to the MSW aspects of the program, but if you have any questions about the School in general, shoot me a DM!

12 hours ago, ayxl said:

that is a long, long wait. I hope it's worth it. did you apply to that program as well? 

No, I applied to the FT 2-year one :) but when I e-mailed them about wait times, etc. they sent me this list: 

• MSW Advanced Standing full-time program:  end of February/early March
  • MSW 2 year full-time program:   end of March/early April
  • MSW Online part-time programs (September start date):  end of May/early June

Has anyone with a degree other than a BSW applied to a Canadian MSW program?

I have an honours psychology degree and a developmental studies degree, and I may be attending a pre-MSW program this fall which "prepares" you for direct entry into the Universities MSW program the following year.

Just wondering if anyone has been accepted into an MSW program with a degree other than BSW or a pre-masters MSW from a different school. 

I'd like to get my pre-masters from this school then apply out of province for MSW! Wondering if it's possible!?

Thanks in advance!