Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

On 4/9/2019 at 6:21 PM, jasp22 said:

Hi, I emailed them about 2 weeks ago and they told me they are hoping to start sending our letters in May... so fingers crossed ?. If you dont mind me asking, what is your full time occupation? 

Hey sorry for the delayed response! I am currently working in a Residential setting for Adults with traumatic brain injury! Its been a great experience, its a combination of casework, behavioural interventions and very clinical in nature. A lot of them have difficulty with mental illness as well so crisis prevention is a huge part of the job.

I havent actually applied to the MSW online yet, the deadline for Jan 2020 start is May 1st. The school called me this week though to ask about my qualifications for applying to the program and pretty much told me I shouldn't apply due to my lack of experience in the field. I just graduated in June 2018 so I have about 1 year of work experience and 2 years of placement along with many other volunteer hours. I am wondering if I should apply anyway even with my lack of experience. It's getting really close to the deadline though so I'm not 100% sure if it's worth it if they already told me I don't have enough experience in the field. 

5 hours ago, idmsw said:

Hey sorry for the delayed response! I am currently working in a Residential setting for Adults with traumatic brain injury! Its been a great experience, its a combination of casework, behavioural interventions and very clinical in nature. A lot of them have difficulty with mental illness as well so crisis prevention is a huge part of the job.

I havent actually applied to the MSW online yet, the deadline for Jan 2020 start is May 1st. The school called me this week though to ask about my qualifications for applying to the program and pretty much told me I shouldn't apply due to my lack of experience in the field. I just graduated in June 2018 so I have about 1 year of work experience and 2 years of placement along with many other volunteer hours. I am wondering if I should apply anyway even with my lack of experience. It's getting really close to the deadline though so I'm not 100% sure if it's worth it if they already told me I don't have enough experience in the field. 

APPLY. I was told the exact same thing, but this is how I think about it — there is a 100% chance that I won’t be accepted if I don’t even apply. I applied to both the on campus and online program, and I’ve been waitlisted for the on-campus. If I don’t get in, I can focus on building my application up and reapply next year. I have nothing to lose by trying, and neither do you.

And let’s be honest here, the school may have specific requirements and expectations about who they accept, but there are numerous factors to consider when accepting people into the program; academic background and grades, experience in the field, personal essay, reference letters, etc. The applicant pool is different every single year. Don’t let them discourage you from even trying. Believe in yourself enough to make them believe in you too!

I hope you apply, and I wish you nothing but the best of luck :)

13 hours ago, MandaMSW said:

APPLY. I was told the exact same thing, but this is how I think about it — there is a 100% chance that I won’t be accepted if I don’t even apply. I applied to both the on campus and online program, and I’ve been waitlisted for the on-campus. If I don’t get in, I can focus on building my application up and reapply next year. I have nothing to lose by trying, and neither do you.

And let’s be honest here, the school may have specific requirements and expectations about who they accept, but there are numerous factors to consider when accepting people into the program; academic background and grades, experience in the field, personal essay, reference letters, etc. The applicant pool is different every single year. Don’t let them discourage you from even trying. Believe in yourself enough to make them believe in you too!

I hope you apply, and I wish you nothing but the best of luck :)

You are so sweet and will one day be an incredible social worker!! I am going to apply, just waiting on my last reference to get back to me!!  I literally have nothing to lose! Thank you for your words of encouragement! I was actually accepted at Laurier for their on-campus program last year but due to some personal stuff, I declined my offer. So I know I have what it takes! The past couple of weeks have been extremely stressful and the fact that I was declined after I was already accepted was like a blow to the face.. Oh well! Thank you so much and best of luck to you as well!! 

On 4/14/2019 at 3:12 AM, kaur96 said:

No, I haven't ? It still says "No Decision- currently under consideration". Also, Windsor uni still says "Waiting for confidential reports" so I'm not sure what's going on. 

I still have not yet heard from York either. I spoke to the program advisor and she told me a lot of people are still 'under consideration'. Aka I am not really sure what this even means - but I know they are still waiting to see who is accepting and who is rejecting. She mentioned that their orientation is at the beginning of May so we should expect to hear by then 

21 hours ago, idmsw said:

No worries for the delay! thats really interesting work you do. Im just graduating as well and worked as a direct support worker for about a year, which working another part-time job to help pay through school. They called me and asking me for qualifications as well and told me the same thing that I have no have enough experience, but I still tried anyways and I think you should to. The worse that could happen is you don't get in, but there are a lot of other options. Thanks for the reply and hope it all works out for you!

2 hours ago, Socwrk2 said:

I still have not yet heard from York either. I spoke to the program advisor and she told me a lot of people are still 'under consideration'. Aka I am not really sure what this even means - but I know they are still waiting to see who is accepting and who is rejecting. She mentioned that their orientation is at the beginning of May so we should expect to hear by then 

Hi, she told me the same thing. However, I wonder when is the deadline of them to make their decision 

Long time lurker here. I applied to the University of Toronto, York University and Ryerson for MSW advanced standing programs.  I was rejected by Ryerson (WTH...I had my BSW from Ry) and waitlisted by UofT and York.  I was offered acceptance by York University on April 12, 2019, with $10 000 funding with fellowship.  I've accepted their offer.  Previously my status on MyFile stated - application under consideration.  

I had until April 26th to accept.  I'm assuming the next round of acceptances for people on the waitlist will go out after April 26th.  Good luck to everyone still waiting. This process was more intense than I expected.

7 hours ago, jasp22 said:

No worries for the delay! thats really interesting work you do. Im just graduating as well and worked as a direct support worker for about a year, which working another part-time job to help pay through school. They called me and asking me for qualifications as well and told me the same thing that I have no have enough experience, but I still tried anyways and I think you should to. The worse that could happen is you don't get in, but there are a lot of other options. Thanks for the reply and hope it all works out for you!

That’s some interesting work as well! Absolutely, I think it’s definitely worth applying! It’s a super tight deadline but I’m going to make it work!! Good luck to you ☺️

On 4/14/2019 at 4:56 PM, idmsw said:

Hi, I just read the qualifications on Laurier's website and it says that you only need approx. 2 years of volunteer/work experience. Did they say why your one year of work experience and 2 years of placement were not enough? I applied for the September start date and I'm slightly freaking out!

2 hours ago, lvande94 said:

Hi, I just read the qualifications on Laurier's website and it says that you only need approx. 2 years of volunteer/work experience. Did they say why your one year of work experience and 2 years of placement were not enough? I applied for the September start date and I'm slightly freaking out!

Hi. I actually have some information regarding that. When I applied to the online program last year, I spoke to someone who told me that usually successful applicants have 7 years experience when they apply for the online program. I wasn't told that until after I applied. The online program is much more competitive than the in class program. ☹️

2 hours ago, lvande94 said:

I applied to Laurier's On-Campus Advanced Standing MSW for September 2019 and I was rejected because I did not have enough hours in the field. In my rejection letter they stated that successful candidates had 3-6 years of full time experience in the field. I know that the online MSW is more competitive and that they have people apply with many years of experience (7+ years). It is extremely competitive and it is difficult to acquire that much experience for people who are recent graduates. 

I unfortunately was not aware of this when I applied as I thought that my 4515 hours of volunteer, placement, and summer work experience would be sufficient. If their website stated this information, I may have re-evaluated where else I applied to. 

Luckily I was accepted to York shortly after I got rejected from Laurier!

I likely am going to enroll in Laurier's certificate programs after the MSW to acquire more clinical skills. 

It's great many on this forum are applying and doing the best they can! Better to try than to regret not attempting it. 

All the best everyone! 

On 4/13/2019 at 7:35 AM, heatherrose said:

Wow, congratulations! 

I'm still waiting on U of Windsor and I'm wondering did you apply to the 2 year MSW or the advanced standing? 

Best of luck at U of Calgary :)

I applied for the 2-year stream for everything!

On 4/16/2019 at 8:43 AM, lvande94 said:

Hey! Honestly the person I spoke to wasn’t the most informative person.. I asked her that question too and her response was “ when they look at your experience compared to someone with, for example 10 years why would they pick you?”. My response to that was because I have a competitive application. I asked her if the phone call was to just streamline the application process and she said it was. I would take what she said with a grain of salt. I don’t think they base it just on experience I think it’s a combination of grades, type of experience, volunteer and many other aspects that fall into play. 

Dont be worried :) 

On 4/4/2019 at 5:29 PM, MswMitch said:

Hi all,

Congrats to everyone that got in!  I'm an Ontario applicant and was accepted to the 2 year MSW at UBC-O. I will be attending in the fall. To those that didn't get in to U of T/Laurier and are looking into clinical programs, I strongly encourage you to consider UBC-O's program if you are willing to relocate. Additionally, the school primarily looks at grades for admission (stated on website), and could work to your benefit if you are lacking experience but are strong academically. For those that didn't get in this round, stay persistent. If this field is truly what you want, it will come with dedication.

Best of luck to everyone! :)

- Mitch 

Congratulations Mitch!! UBC-O is my dream school, would you be able to tell me more about your stats (GPA/percentage average, work experience, volunteer experience etc.) as I haven’t seen too much info on here about UBC-O. I am graduating next month and hoping to apply in 2021 after working for a few years in the field. 

Congratulations again! :) 

- Ren

Hello! For those of you still waiting to hear back from the 2-Year MSW program at Windsor, I emailed them today and they said that faculty of graduate studies has their recommendations already.

It shouldn't be too long now!

On 4/14/2019 at 4:56 PM, idmsw said:

I am applying to the same program/start date and was also worried about a lack of experience. I figured I'd give it a shot anyway, worst case scenario I need to get more experience and try again. Fingers crossed for both of us! I'm on (what feels like) the millionth revision of my statement and I'm starting to think it's never going to be good enough.

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! I'm excited for you all. :) 

So confused anyone have any clarity on this: I accepted the waitlist offer from Ryerson and in the past few hours today my waitlist approval dissapeared and I got a message from them in the communications saying:

We are pleased to inform you that the Dean of the Yeates School of Graduate Studies, on the recommendation of the Graduate Admissions Committee of the Graduate Studies Social Work program has reached a final decision regarding your application to the Full Time Master of Social Work program.

To access this document, please login to your Student Centre in RAMSS (my.ryerson.ca) and look under the "Communications" section, located on the bottom right corner.

Note that communications may take up to 24 hours to appear in your Student Centre.

Thank you for your prompt attention and we look forward to your positive response, within the deadline date noted in the communication.

Graduate Admissions and Recruitment

Yeates School of Graduate Studies

Has anyone else received this message? Is this an acceptance? (Still has not updated to let me know what the decision is) 

47 minutes ago, Sammy1 said:

So confused anyone have any clarity on this: I accepted the waitlist offer from Ryerson and in the past few hours today my waitlist approval dissapeared and I got a message from them in the communications saying:

We are pleased to inform you that the Dean of the Yeates School of Graduate Studies, on the recommendation of the Graduate Admissions Committee of the Graduate Studies Social Work program has reached a final decision regarding your application to the Full Time Master of Social Work program.

To access this document, please login to your Student Centre in RAMSS (my.ryerson.ca) and look under the "Communications" section, located on the bottom right corner.

Note that communications may take up to 24 hours to appear in your Student Centre.

Thank you for your prompt attention and we look forward to your positive response, within the deadline date noted in the communication.

Graduate Admissions and Recruitment

Yeates School of Graduate Studies

Has anyone else received this message? Is this an acceptance? (Still has not updated to let me know what the decision is) 

This means you got in :) You’ll get a letter  in the communications section of RAMMS tomorrow (or Tuesday since it’s a long weekend). Congrats!

22 minutes ago, nedmomenz said:

This means you got in :) You’ll get a letter  in the communications section of RAMMS tomorrow (or Tuesday since it’s a long weekend). Congrats!

thank you! ?:)  

11 hours ago, spers said:

Hello! For those of you still waiting to hear back from the 2-Year MSW program at Windsor, I emailed them today and they said that faculty of graduate studies has their recommendations already.

It shouldn't be too long now!

Did they say around when they'll update us with their decisions? 

8 hours ago, kaur96 said:

Did they say around when they'll update us with their decisions? 

I was just accepted yesterday :) I imagine they will update everyone after the long weekend. They didn't give me a definite date. 

I’m sorry I know this is already in the thread but I was having trouble locating it...

I’ve been waitlisted for both UofT and Laurier for the 2 year MSW programs. Just wanted to confirm what dates the payments are due for these programs so that I have a better idea on when I may hear. I have been accepted to an accelerated BSW program but don’t want to pay prematurely and then find out about an MSW program.

Thanks for any help!