Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

On 11/16/2018 at 5:05 AM, SupremeReign said:

Thank you for your response. :)

I guess people were writing essay formats for the MSW programs. Is that what you did for UofT?

I also separated out the questions in my UofT application because I thought it was the best way for me to communication my ideas clearly and coherently. 

My advice would be to choose the format that you feel most comfortable with or the format that makes your writing sound better. I have a hard time believing that the formatting will make or break your application. People get accepted using either format. 

Can anyone explain how UofT calculates their admission GPA? For example one semester I took one class--summer term, then the semester before that I took 3 classes. Do they add those together to give 4 classes aka a full course term? None of the classes I needed were offered at that time, so I only took 3. They make it seem like they don't look at the GPA if it wasn't on at least 4 classes that you took all at once. 

Thanks! 

Hello everyone....I'm curious if anyone has any insight into how sticky the word counts are...I'm about 150 words over for my Laurier statement and panicking because I'm not sure what to cut (this has always been a bit of an issue for me lol)....just hoping someone out there has some insight!  Thanks in advance :)

I think depending on what stream, you should be fine without a lot of research experience. Most of the friends and classmates I know who got into U. of T. did not have a lot of (if any) research experience. I think their more looking into GPA and overall education and experience related to the stream you are applying to.

Hope this helps and best of luck on your application! :)

On 9/19/2018 at 8:43 PM, Meg_gray11 said:

Hi everyone, I followed the 2018 forum for a while and I am super anxious to start applying this year! I am currently in my fourth year at Western  doing an Honours Specialization in Anthropology with a minor in Thanatology (the study of grief and bereavement). I'm applying to Lakehead's HBSW (both campuses), Western/King's 2 year MSW, and Laurier's 2 year MSW. 

My marks aren't anything spectacular, and I only decided in my third year that this was the path for me so I have been trying to build up relevant experience in a short period of time. I have been working in residence life for three years so I have a lot of experience with students with thoughts of suicide, sexual assault survivors, and a variety of mental illnesses. This year I am staring a new volunteer position at a sexual assault centre as a crisis line responder. I feel like I am not doing enough, so if I am able to balance my job, volunteer position, and course load, I may also volunteer at Kids Help Phone!

I am really learning towards Lakehead Thunder Bay campus, because I feel like I can really bring myself up with the personal statement exam. Does anyone know anyone who was accepted into this program? I'm just really scared because I see that some of you have a really high gpa with 6000 hours of experience! 

Hi there! I was accepted and completed Lakehead's One-Year HBSW program, so if you have any specific questions i'd be glad to help :)

On 11/23/2018 at 1:38 PM, riaveda said:

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting into UofT without significant research experience?

There are a lot of people in my class who do not have research experience. 

From the way that I see it, everyone in the program has something that makes them stand out. Perhaps that could be extensive social work experiences, great grades, research experience, or something else. You have to figure out what your strengths are and really emphasize that in your application. 

On 25 November, 2018 at 2:56 PM, SwagMaster said:

There are a lot of people in my class who do not have research experience. 

From the way that I see it, everyone in the program has something that makes them stand out. Perhaps that could be extensive social work experiences, great grades, research experience, or something else. You have to figure out what your strengths are and really emphasize that in your application. 

On 24 November, 2018 at 5:20 PM, IGee said:

I think depending on what stream, you should be fine without a lot of research experience. Most of the friends and classmates I know who got into U. of T. did not have a lot of (if any) research experience. I think their more looking into GPA and overall education and experience related to the stream you are applying to.

Hope this helps and best of luck on your application! :)

Thanks so much for your support & insights @SwagMaster & @IGee

On 11/18/2018 at 5:22 PM, SupremeReign said:

It really sucks that this forum is so dead this year, but I'll still ask in the hopes that someone answers it. *Fingers crossed*  Has anyone been accepted into WLU's 2-year full time MSW program who didn't have any publications or scholarly paper activities? :(

Meeeee! Currently writing this from the WLU library, finishing up my first semester :) 

On 11/9/2018 at 2:58 PM, idmsw said:

So I applied to UofT last year and its at the top of my list. I am having a lot of difficulty writing the Written Statement and wish I could erase my memory because every time I write something I just end up with pretty much the same thing as what I wrote last time just in a different order lol. Does anyone have any advice? I made it on the wait list last year so I feel like my application was well done but Im having a hard time making improvements since not that much has changed. I have continued to get hands on experience in a residential setting, volunteer and improved my mark in the research requirement but the written statement will probably have the same focus as before (health/mental health). Im wondering if I should keep what i have and make improvements or just start completely fresh. ANY advice is appreciated! 

I was accepted by U of T last year, but had been waitlisted the year before. I think that filling out the section outlining how you've improved your application really helps! My suggestion would be to outline new skills you've gained from continuing to beef up your resume, how you continue to be committed to social justice, how the program can help you continue to commit to this, etc.

Although I am realizing the deadline may have already passed, and so I'm sorry in advance if this is useless to you now. Thought I'd post it anyway as helpful info for future applicants :)

On 11/23/2018 at 1:38 PM, riaveda said:

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting into UofT without significant research experience?

Definitely possible. I was accepted last year with no research experience besides two small undergraduate research projects I was required to do for my research courses. 

Hi all, applying to Waterloo and the website states "For those who apply by the deadline of November 15, you have until December 1 to upload supporting documentation into QUEST"

I assume this means that I have until midnight on December 1st. Is my assumption correct? I only started thinking about this and it is too late to call the school. I would really like the extra day to polish my personal statement.

9 hours ago, nicoleMSW said:

I was accepted by U of T last year, but had been waitlisted the year before. I think that filling out the section outlining how you've improved your application really helps! My suggestion would be to outline new skills you've gained from continuing to beef up your resume, how you continue to be committed to social justice, how the program can help you continue to commit to this, etc.

Although I am realizing the deadline may have already passed, and so I'm sorry in advance if this is useless to you now. Thought I'd post it anyway as helpful info for future applicants :)

Thank you for your help!! The deadline is December 10th so I still have time to make some adjustments!! I really appreciate it :)

On 11/30/2018 at 12:58 PM, nicoleMSW said:

Meeeee! Currently writing this from the WLU library, finishing up my first semester :)

Thank you for letting me know! Is there any way I could PM you to ask some questions about being accepted? E.g., what your grades were like and experience? After going to the info session, I'm a bit hesitant to apply to any program this year.

Does anyone here have any experience with WLU's International Social Work Diploma program? That's my sole reason for wanting to apply to WLU's MSW program, but I see it's only available for the 2-year on campus MSW program. I don't think I'll get in for the MSW program this year because my avg isn't as good as it could've been since I went through some things my last year of study. I'm trying to decide if I should just take courses starting in January to improve my average and apply next year or stick to my plans and apply to UW's HBSW program and just forgo the International SWD. Any advice, experience, insight is much appreciated!

Best wishes to everyone this year!!

On 12/2/2018 at 11:45 AM, SupremeReign said:

Thank you for letting me know! Is there any way I could PM you to ask some questions about being accepted? E.g., what your grades were like and experience? After going to the info session, I'm a bit hesitant to apply to any program this year.

Go ahead :) 

Anyone here applying/applied to York?

I'm having the hardest time shortening my written statement. It's 2 pages but about 650 words. Instructions state it can be maximum 2 pages/500 words, so I'm not sure if I'm over the limit or if I'm okay. 

On 11/24/2018 at 5:33 PM, IGee said:

Hi there! I was accepted and completed Lakehead's One-Year HBSW program, so if you have any specific questions i'd be glad to help :)

Hello! Would you be able to share your experience with Lakehead's HBSW program?? I was really interested in it but was wondering how long it typically takes to complete! I know it says 1 year but their website says I can take 2 as well, so just a little confused... How was your practicum experience??

Thank you in advance!! 

Hi everyone....wondering if anyone knows if we need to have a title page for our Statement of Interest/Purpose....also should we have headers?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated....just a feel for what everyone else is doing.  I know it's small thing but its been bugging me.  Thanks in advance,

13 hours ago, Laurabeth79 said:

Hi everyone....wondering if anyone knows if we need to have a title page for our Statement of Interest/Purpose....also should we have headers?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated....just a feel for what everyone else is doing.  I know it's small thing but its been bugging me.  Thanks in advance,

Hello! For UofT, I made a title page and used page breaks for each question. I'm also applying to York, but I'm not sure I'll do the same since it's only one question. 

5 hours ago, MDS96 said:

Hello! For UofT, I made a title page and used page breaks for each question. I'm also applying to York, but I'm not sure I'll do the same since it's only one question. 

Hi There, 

According to the instructions for UofT, it advises 500 words per question, each question on a seperate page from another with your full name on the header for each page. I am wondering if it will make a positive or negative difference if adding a title page? I am submitting it tonight for Sept 2019 and I worry now if i should add one or not :$

3 hours ago, ntsgrg said:

Hi There, 

According to the instructions for UofT, it advises 500 words per question, each question on a seperate page from another with your full name on the header for each page. I am wondering if it will make a positive or negative difference if adding a title page? I am submitting it tonight for Sept 2019 and I worry now if i should add one or not :$

Honestly, I don't think it will make any difference. :) I just did it because it's a long document and I felt it was a nice way to make it look more organized. I don't see any harm in adding a title page - or deciding not to.