Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

On 4/4/2019 at 2:29 PM, MswMitch said:

Hi all,

Congrats to everyone that got in!  I'm an Ontario applicant and was accepted to the 2 year MSW at UBC-O. I will be attending in the fall. To those that didn't get in to U of T/Laurier and are looking into clinical programs, I strongly encourage you to consider UBC-O's program if you are willing to relocate. Additionally, the school primarily looks at grades for admission (stated on website), and could work to your benefit if you are lacking experience but are strong academically. For those that didn't get in this round, stay persistent. If this field is truly what you want, it will come with dedication.

Best of luck to everyone! :)

- Mitch 

Hi Mitch! Are you open to sharing more about your experience and what led you to relocate for UBCO's program?

On 3/5/2019 at 1:51 PM, sundayswimmer said:

Just got accepted into UVic MSW Foundation. It was an email sent out this morning.They are only giving us until March 18th to accept or decline!

Good luck to all out there who are still waiting!!!

Congratulations! Can I message you to chat about UVic's program?

On 6/5/2019 at 10:27 AM, tashmsw said:

Has anyone applied to the MSW for Working Professionals program through Windsor University for September 2019 start?

Do you know when they are expecting to send out acceptances?

Hey! I just applied to this program (since they extended the application deadline to June 1st). A friend of mine, who applied much earlier, had already gotten an acceptance for the September 2019 start date. I'm guessing it depends on when you applied. I believe she was notified of her acceptance 2-3 weeks ago.

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a bit, and want to get an MSW but am trying to look at my options realistically. I have a 4 year BA in another field with a poor GPA (71%). This GPA will probably not get me into a 2 year MSW.

Would it be better to take online courses to improve my GPA, and then apply with a higher GPA (which would be really nerve wracking if I didn't get in to an MSW program), or should I do a BSW that is 3 years part time (which I have a good chance of getting into), and hopefully get good grades in that, which will open the door for more 1 year MSW programs to apply to? I just think the fear of rejection, from applying over and over would be stressful. I have an SSW from George Brown as well as well as work experience in the field, although not a ton. I am an older applicant and want to get moving with this! Thanks

22 hours ago, blueeyedblonde said:

Hey! I just applied to this program (since they extended the application deadline to June 1st). A friend of mine, who applied much earlier, had already gotten an acceptance for the September 2019 start date. I'm guessing it depends on when you applied. I believe she was notified of her acceptance 2-3 weeks ago.

Hey! Thanks, I actually just got accepted to the program on Friday!

Goodluck :)

21 hours ago, Kristine said:

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a bit, and want to get an MSW but am trying to look at my options realistically. I have a 4 year BA in another field with a poor GPA (71%). This GPA will probably not get me into a 2 year MSW.

Would it be better to take online courses to improve my GPA, and then apply with a higher GPA (which would be really nerve wracking if I didn't get in to an MSW program), or should I do a BSW that is 3 years part time (which I have a good chance of getting into), and hopefully get good grades in that, which will open the door for more 1 year MSW programs to apply to? I just think the fear of rejection, from applying over and over would be stressful. I have an SSW from George Brown as well as well as work experience in the field, although not a ton. I am an older applicant and want to get moving with this! Thanks

Hey Kristine! 

I was in a very similar situation to you a couple years ago, BA with low GPA, SSW diploma. I got into a two-year (as well as a three-year) BSW program, and am now working in the field and applying to MSW programs. I found that the BSW not only helped improve my grades and give me more experience, it definitely boosted my confidence and passion for social work. It seems like MSW programs are pretty competitive (I've been waitlisted), so if you are able to up your GPA and earn related experience, thats always helpful! Also, doing a BSW opens up more MSW programs that only accept those with a social work undergraduate degree. PM me if you have any questions!

5 hours ago, SocialWERK2019 said:

Hey Kristine! 

I was in a very similar situation to you a couple years ago, BA with low GPA, SSW diploma. I got into a two-year (as well as a three-year) BSW program, and am now working in the field and applying to MSW programs. I found that the BSW not only helped improve my grades and give me more experience, it definitely boosted my confidence and passion for social work. It seems like MSW programs are pretty competitive (I've been waitlisted), so if you are able to up your GPA and earn related experience, thats always helpful! Also, doing a BSW opens up more MSW programs that only accept those with a social work undergraduate degree. PM me if you have any questions!

Hey, thanks SocialWERK! I am glad my plan makes sense, even though it sounds crazy at the outset to get another degree, but I agree the benefits will be significant even before getting an MSW. It would be with Ryerson part-time so that I can still work full time. I have been working in the field directly after graduating, but this will open up so, so many other opportunities! Question: Do I need to usually have the required number of years experience when I am applying, or is it sufficient to get that number in just before I start the program? 2 years work experience required. Or maybe I should ask Ryerson directly....  Thanks!

17 hours ago, Kristine said:

Hey, thanks SocialWERK! I am glad my plan makes sense, even though it sounds crazy at the outset to get another degree, but I agree the benefits will be significant even before getting an MSW. It would be with Ryerson part-time so that I can still work full time. I have been working in the field directly after graduating, but this will open up so, so many other opportunities! Question: Do I need to usually have the required number of years experience when I am applying, or is it sufficient to get that number in just before I start the program? 2 years work experience required. Or maybe I should ask Ryerson directly....  Thanks!

Do you mean for Ryerson BSW or for the MSW? I have just over a year and a half post-degree work experience, and I worked and volunteered during my SSW and BSW as well. I think they ask for around 2000-3000 hours as a minimum, but of course everyone has different types and hours!

I think as long as you have the degree and SSW diploma you should be fine to get into Ryerson's BSW. I didn't have much work experience when I applied straight out of my SSW (and a v low BA GPA...), so I applied for Ryerson's three year, post-SSW with a 3.92 SSW GPA, and was accepted. I didn't end up going though as I was accepted into Dalhousie's two-year BSW (where I had done my BA). 

HI Everyone, 

I just found this forum. I applied to the WLU Part-Time Online MSW program. I know that admissions are supposed to go out in August/September, but I am not wondering whether or not this is the right decision for me to attend the program?

Can anyone attest to this program? I am just wondering what it is like for someone who is also working full time?

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:44 PM, SocialWERK2019 said:

Do you mean for Ryerson BSW or for the MSW? I have just over a year and a half post-degree work experience, and I worked and volunteered during my SSW and BSW as well. I think they ask for around 2000-3000 hours as a minimum, but of course everyone has different types and hours!

I think as long as you have the degree and SSW diploma you should be fine to get into Ryerson's BSW. I didn't have much work experience when I applied straight out of my SSW (and a v low BA GPA...), so I applied for Ryerson's three year, post-SSW with a 3.92 SSW GPA, and was accepted. I didn't end up going though as I was accepted into Dalhousie's two-year BSW (where I had done my BA). 

Oh, that's interesting! They are asking for 2 years work experience for the 3 year part time BSW there. Maybe they changed the requirements! Were you able to work full time while doing the BSW with Dal? If it was online, was getting references from profs a bit of a challenge?

2 hours ago, Kristine said:

Oh, that's interesting! They are asking for 2 years work experience for the 3 year part time BSW there. Maybe they changed the requirements! Were you able to work full time while doing the BSW with Dal? If it was online, was getting references from profs a bit of a challenge?

Oh, maybe they did.. I volunteered for a couple years and I counted my SSW placement as well.. so you could always include that? My program was not online, so getting references was not an issue since I knew all my profs pretty well! I did my BSW full-time, so no, I worked one day a week and volunteered, but that's it!

12 hours ago, JessiG said:

HI Everyone, 

I just found this forum. I applied to the WLU Part-Time Online MSW program. I know that admissions are supposed to go out in August/September, but I am not wondering whether or not this is the right decision for me to attend the program?

Can anyone attest to this program? I am just wondering what it is like for someone who is also working full time?

I started the 2.5 year online program for non-BSW in May so I'm in the last week of my first course. The courses are intense I'm not gonna lie. Each course is 6 weeks and you do one course at a time so they have to fit a lot of material in a short amount of time. You do have to be committed to get everything done, but I work full time and have 3 kids so it is doable.  

Holy moly, I just got moved off the York Advanced Standing waitlist and I have no idea what to do. I’d already accepted a job promotion and processed through the feels of reapplying next year. 

Do folks have any insight or thoughts to share about their decision-making? And in specific, any thought or experience with York’s MSW? I’m a bit hesitant knowing it’s more critical theory-driven and allegedly has less connections to practicum placements - any thoughts are greatly appreciated! 

On 6/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, N_D said:

Holy moly, I just got moved off the York Advanced Standing waitlist and I have no idea what to do. I’d already accepted a job promotion and processed through the feels of reapplying next year. 

Do folks have any insight or thoughts to share about their decision-making? And in specific, any thought or experience with York’s MSW? I’m a bit hesitant knowing it’s more critical theory-driven and allegedly has less connections to practicum placements - any thoughts are greatly appreciated! 

Congratulations on getting off the waitlist for York and for getting a promotion at work!

I am a current BSW student at York and I will be doing the Full-Time Advanced Standing MSW at York in September :)

York's MSW is a very progressive program which focuses on Critical Social Work, social justice, advocacy, and research. York focuses on challenging macro societal issues and systems of oppression. A lot of critical thinking and self-reflection is used throughout their Social Work programs, however, like you mentioned, Clinical Social Work practice is not a main focus in the program. You could get some exposure to Clinical Social Work practice by taking York's MSW electives. This year they are offering electives in Mindfulness and Just Relations in Social Work and Narrative Therapy and Critical Social Work. In the summer they have an elective called Group Facilitation and Social Justice which is somewhat more practical than some of the other electives. They also have a wide variety of other electives to choose from throughout the entire year, but they fill up quickly. 

At York we will have to do a 50 page practice based research paper that takes a year to complete. There are two classes throughout the year which help us throughout the research process and they are graded as a pass or fail.  There also is a large emphasis on Marxism and Foucault in the MSW. In my opinion, it seems like York's MSW program will offer students new learning and would prepare us to be progressive Social Workers. 

All full-time MSW students receive a fellowship that's worth $10,000! Financially, York is an excellent choice as no other school provides this amount of funding to their MSW students. 

As for placement, York does have some hospital and school board connections, however, there wouldn't be as many clinical options like U of T. From what I've heard, York does have a good variety of placements predominantly in the Toronto, Vaughan, and Scarbrough area. This of course varies each year. We have to do a generic cover letter and resume in addition to filling out an online application with our population and social work practice interests. York matches us with a placement and then they arrange for students to go for interviews. 

There always is the option to do a certificate in a specific type of counselling after the MSW. 

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter to employers where you did your MSW, so it's really up to you if you want to do the MSW at York.

Hope this helps!

19 hours ago, idmsw said:

For those of you still on the UofT waitlist for the two year program, keep hopeful! I was just accepted yesterday!! I did NOT think it was going to move but it’s very exciting!! I was completely caught off guard by the acceptance in the best way!! Stay hopeful y’all !! 

Oh my gosh congratulations!! This is keeping me hopeful, thanks for sharing! :)

Edit: Oh sorry I didn't realize you said the two year program, still, that's awesome that you got in!

Edited by SocialWERK2019

On 6/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, N_D said:

I have talked to a few York MSW students and they said that they enjoyed the program and that they felt that York challenged the way they thought about Social Work practice, bureaucracies, and various theories. They said that most professors were very good (and that it's best to research your professor prior to enrollment as some are much better than others) and that they thought that their electives were interesting. They said that they would have preferred it if York spent more time focusing on clinical practice in their curriculum, however, some were able to acquire clinical skills through placement, certificate programs, or at work. Some students enjoyed their practice based research paper (and they thought that the practice based research paper would make them stand out to employers), however, some did not enjoy the process. In addition, most of York's MSW program is mostly comprised of York and Ryerson students with a small amount of students from other universities. 

York is not always the most organized school, but the School of Social Work has always been very helpful with any questions I had.

York's $10,000 graduate fellowship is divided between the three semesters as long as one is enrolled for the whole year.

I know of a classmate who did her BSW at York and did her MSW at U of T. She told me that she expected more from U of T and that she felt that she acquired more knowledge and skills at York. I cannot speak upon this as I have not started my MSW, but I know each school has its pros and cons. 

On 4/28/2019 at 3:09 PM, f*ckthepatriarchy said:

Hi there!

I'm looking for a place in Kitchener/Waterloo as well. I've been looking for places by myself bc looking for a roommate is stressful haha but it would definitely be more affordable to have a roommate so I would love to chat if you haven't already found someone to room with!

have you found a place?

Hello again! 

I am still looking for a place in WATERLOO/KITCHENER from a 12 month lease

As Waterloo/Kitchener is a 3-university city, rent for 1 bedroom is very expensive.

Having said this, I am looking for 1 ROOMMATE (gender does not matter as long as you are respectful and clean) to move in September 2019 with so that rent can be a bit cheaper for a lot nicer place. 

My budget is $900 - if this is within your price range, give me a reply OR email me at moonsun109@gmail.com

Oh, and I have a cat but I sweep, dust, and vacuum very frequently. 

33 minutes ago, WMH.18 said:

Has anyone else applied for the January 2020 part-time online MSW program at Laurier? After reading this thread, I know it's madness to expect a response this early but I'm going batty waiting. ?

Yes! I applied to this program too and find myself checking my application status almost daily. Realistically it seems like we won't get any news until August (at the earliest), but I can't help but keep looking. The wait is driving me nuts.

40 minutes ago, blueeyedblonde said:

Yes! I applied to this program too and find myself checking my application status almost daily. Realistically it seems like we won't get any news until August (at the earliest), but I can't help but keep looking. The wait is driving me nuts.

Saaaaame. Are you checking on LORIS?