Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

On 12/9/2018 at 6:50 AM, MDS96 said:

Hello! For UofT, I made a title page and used page breaks for each question. I'm also applying to York, but I'm not sure I'll do the same since it's only one question. 

Hey!  Thanks for getting back to me :)  I think I will do the same...use a title page for the U of T one and possibly my name as the header as it needs to be on each page.  I'm applying to York as well and am thinking of ditching the title page is it's so short.  Thanks again for getting back to me and good luck!

11 hours ago, Laurabeth79 said:

Hey!  Thanks for getting back to me :)  I think I will do the same...use a title page for the U of T one and possibly my name as the header as it needs to be on each page.  I'm applying to York as well and am thinking of ditching the title page is it's so short.  Thanks again for getting back to me and good luck!

Me too! Probably not going to do the title page for York since it's so short. Best of luck to you!

1 hour ago, msw96 said:

Hi everyone! Question for anyone applying to York - what is the 'Supplementary Information Form'?

Hello! You can find it on this page: https://socialwork.gradstudies.yorku.ca/msw/msw-how-to-apply/

It's just a form to list your relevant employment and volunteer experience. 

Edited by MDS96

Hi everyone ! Nice to e-meet you!

I wish I knew about the existence of this forum while I was busy preparing my application for the three schools so that I could feel less nervous ! Anyone here applying for Fall 2019 advanced standing at York, U of t and Ryerson? When do we find out? This is going to be a long new year...

Edited by Anniemsw

On 12/5/2018 at 2:11 PM, MDS96 said:

Anyone here applying/applied to York?

I'm having the hardest time shortening my written statement. It's 2 pages but about 650 words. Instructions state it can be maximum 2 pages/500 words, so I'm not sure if I'm over the limit or if I'm okay. 

I did! It was a struggle to keep it short. The first page I talked about a common problem affecting our society and why I feel my experiences could help support the issue. On the second page I focused on the research topic I would conduct at York if I were to be accepted and what this would look like e.g. looking at the social determinants of health and which populations I am interested in working with. 

Edited by Anniemsw

3 hours ago, Anniemsw said:

I did! It was a struggle to keep it short. The first page I talked about a common problem affecting our society and why I feel my experiences could help support the issue. On the second page I focused on the research topic I would conduct at York if I were to be accepted and what this would look like e.g. looking at the social determinants of health and which populations I am interested in working with. 

What did you do for spacing? Also im applying for UofT and York too! Hopefully, we'll see each other there! 

4 hours ago, Giantoreo said:

What did you do for spacing? Also im applying for UofT and York too! Hopefully, we'll see each other there! 

I did essay format. One large paragraph on each page. Double spaced. Good luck and hope we both get accepted!!!

On 12/11/2018 at 11:00 PM, Anniemsw said:

Hi everyone ! Nice to e-meet you!

I wish I knew about the existence of this forum while I was busy preparing my application for the three schools so that I could feel less nervous ! Anyone here applying for Fall 2019 advanced standing at York, U of t and Ryerson? When do we find out? This is going to be a long new year...

Hi Anniemsw! I applied to the advanced standing at U of T for fall 2019!

I have a friend who got in off the waitlist for U of T for fall of 2017 (ended up going elsewhere), but she said there were two rounds of acceptances/rejections, in February and March. She found out in March that she was waitlisted, and then was notified in the end of August (I know, super late-notice) that she was accepted off the list. I don't have any info about York or Ryerson, unfortunately. 

So, at least for U of T, we still have about 2-3 months left to wait....... haha. 

For those who applied to Laurier for May 2019- do you see tabs for admissions, student services and student awards? I’m wondering because I don’t recall three tabs being there before. The waiting game makes be playing tricks on my mind.

18 hours ago, SuzyH said:

For those who applied to Laurier for May 2019- do you see tabs for admissions, student services and student awards? I’m wondering because I don’t recall three tabs being there before. The waiting game makes be playing tricks on my mind.

Student awards has always been there .. but not student services ... hmmmm

On 12/15/2018 at 2:28 PM, SuzyH said:

I noticed this as well when I logged in today! This was not in my account before either. 

On 12/15/2018 at 2:28 PM, SuzyH said:

Student services was recently added to my LORIS account as well;  I have applied to the 1 year MSW beginning in the fall of 2019.

On 12/14/2018 at 3:46 PM, ntsgrg said:

Has anyone or anyone know of anybody who has gotten accepted into a MSW Program (more specifically, UofT) with less than a B+ in research methods?

Angela, who is the admissions coordinator at UofT FIFSW, typically tells applicants that no one in the past few years has been admitted with a research methods grades less than a B. If an applicant does have less than a B, she admonishes them retake the course at any university to get at least a B and state in their application that they are retaking it. Then if they are admitted, they will have to confirm that they completed the course with at least a B. 

That has been her message for the past few years. I encourage you to reach out to her to confirm if you are in that situation. 

48 minutes ago, No display name said:

This wait is KILLING me. My final application (going by my last reference's submission) was September 10th.. For Online MSW May 2019. The thought of waiting another 2-3 months is torture. :( 

I'm going to apply for September 2019 as a back-up, both in-class and online. 

Sigh...

I totally get it the wait is making me crazy too. I also applied for the May online cohort at Laurier (2 year program). When I submitted my application I was told I would be informed December-January. Has anyone heard differently? I know they tend to be late.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, ErinCM said:

I totally get it the wait is making me crazy too. I also applied for the May online cohort at Laurier (2 year program). When I submitted my application I was told I would be informed December-January. Has anyone heard differently? I know they tend to be late.

Thanks.

I had e-mailed my academic advisor (Monica), and her automatic response said: "If you have applied for the May 2019 intake of the online part-time MSW (or MSW Advanced Standing) program you can expect to hear a decision pertaining to your application sometime between the months of February – March" 

I take that as we'll find out March 31st lol

Fabulous :P Thanks for letting me know. I figured it wouldn't be on time, but that's already 2 months later than I was told. How much later will it get in the next 2-3 months? 

• 2 weeks later...

I  applied to McMaster (MSW-Critical Leadership), Laurier, and Waterloo for the one year MSW program. I was waitlisted 2 years ago for the 2 year MSW at U of T so I pursued plan B which is to obtain my BSW degree from Waterloo.

Good luck, everyone!