Canada MSW 2019

mriley26

44 minutes ago, No display name said:

Sure! I have a 4 years honours B.A. in Psychology from Mac. No thesis. My average was ~3.7 

I have 5,100 hours work and volunteer (mostly work) experience at a hospital in Hamilton. 

Thank you, best of luck in your program.

Did they say how many applicants there were for this cohort and how many they were accepting?

1 hour ago, No display name said:

CONGRATS online class-mate !!! Is your LORIS updated? Mine isn't... I just got an e-mail from Monica.

No mine isn't yet either I got an email from Dilyara. Congrats to you too. Looking forward to working with you.

I started a Facebook group for the Laurier May 2019 Part time, online, advanced standing cohort. Please PM me if you are interested!

Congrats to all!

Suzy

17 hours ago, No display name said:

CONGRATS online class-mate !!! Is your LORIS updated? Mine isn't... I just got an e-mail from Monica.

Hey,

My Loris has updated now because I got the official email from fgps. I guess the one last night from our enrollment advisors were just to let us know we were in. 

16 minutes ago, SC-MSW 2019 said:

Congrats to everyone that got into Laurier's Online MSW Program!

For those who accepted, did Laurier state the types of scholarships and/or funding a candidate could receive? 

From what I understand, because it is a part-time grad program the only way to get the funding is to first apply to OSAP. I may be misunderstanding, but it seemed all the internal scholarship options were only available to full-time students.

3 hours ago, ErinCM said:

From what I understand, because it is a part-time grad program the only way to get the funding is to first apply to OSAP. I may be misunderstanding, but it seemed all the internal scholarship options were only available to full-time students.

Thank you for the information! 

1 hour ago, mercy said:

wow seems like am the only  one waiting to get a feedback from Laurier may online application. Is anyone else expecting ?

I’m also still expecting for May 2019 non-bsw cohort. 

On 1/10/2019 at 6:01 PM, No display name said:

Sure! I have a 4 years honours B.A. in Psychology from Mac. No thesis. My average was ~3.7 

I have 5,100 hours work and volunteer (mostly work) experience at a hospital in Hamilton. 

Congrats!! May I ask if the hospital work experience was directly related to Social Work? I myself have a 4 years Honours BaSc from Guelph, no thesis and 4500 hours of work and volunteer in the vulnerable sector, (intake amongst other responsibilities in psychology practices). My gpa is not the best it could be but it is decent. I'm quite concerned with my grades and as well as the limited "Direct" experience :( I applied for the part time online 2 year msw program for Sept 2019 cohort. 

Hello xxxxxx

The e-mails have been going out to applicants last week and some are still to be sent out this week.

Do keep checking your e-mail and LORIS for updates.

Regards

Miljana

....ohhh dear, what does this mean there is still hope or what....worried

2 hours ago, mercy said:

Hello xxxxxx

The e-mails have been going out to applicants last week and some are still to be sent out this week.

Do keep checking your e-mail and LORIS for updates.

Regards

Miljana

....ohhh dear, what does this mean there is still hope or what....worried

I didn't get an email (and still haven't) but I logged into my LORIS a few days ago and checked there, and it was available under admissions and once I clicked into the MSW link. I unfortunately did not get in (however I don't mean to scare you)! You just may not have gotten an email yet, so I suggest checking there :)  I applied to the advanced standing program. 

16 minutes ago, bsw17 said:

I didn't get an email (and still haven't) but I logged into my LORIS a few days ago and checked there, and it was available under admissions and once I clicked into the MSW link. I unfortunately did not get in (however I don't mean to scare you)! You just may not have gotten an email yet, so I suggest checking there :)  I applied to the advanced standing program. 

I’m really sorry to hear!! Could you show us what that looked like on the loris. Mine still hasn’t updated yet and I haven’t received an email. 

54 minutes ago, moli said:

I’m really sorry to hear!! Could you show us what that looked like on the loris. Mine still hasn’t updated yet and I haven’t received an email. 

How? What msw link are you referring to ? When you mean advanced standing is it the same online 2.5yrs without bsw

50 minutes ago, Purple-Elephant said:

Advanced standing is a 1.25 year program for those who DO have a BSW

Ohhh it's different then

Let's see how the feedback goes

19 hours ago, ntsgrg said:

Congrats!! May I ask if the hospital work experience was directly related to Social Work? I myself have a 4 years Honours BaSc from Guelph, no thesis and 4500 hours of work and volunteer in the vulnerable sector, (intake amongst other responsibilities in psychology practices). My gpa is not the best it could be but it is decent. I'm quite concerned with my grades and as well as the limited "Direct" experience :( I applied for the part time online 2 year msw program for Sept 2019 cohort. 

I mostly am a research assistant at the hospital, but I do have direct contact with mental health patients and I've often facilitated recreational groups, which I know one of my references did highlight, and that reference is a registered social worker. So no, it definitely isn't directly related to social work, but I think they consider it pretty close since it is in a therapeutic capacity. It's really tough I know, cause it's hard to find direct clinical expeirence without a masters, and you can't seem to get a masters without direct clinical experience!!! 

Grades was my concern as well, and i spent the last year upgrading a few courses through athabasca online courses. I remember them saying that you need at least a B to be considered, but it isn't competitive unless you have an A-... so I spent the last year slowly upgrading my gpa by taking 3 courses through athabasca online. 

17 hours ago, moli said:

Thank you, I appreciate it! I did recently accept a full-time position in the field and so I am happy about that, hoping to re-apply again in the future! :)

I am not sure how to post a screenshot here, but when I logged into my account there is the option to press "admissions", so I clicked that, then clicked "display admissions applications", then clicked the "Master of Social Work" link there and it opened a page where it informed me I had not been accepted. If it doesn't say anything yet, then I'm not too sure - you may not have received anything yet. My fingers are crossed for you!! :) all the best. 

16 hours ago, mercy said:

How? What msw link are you referring to ? When you mean advanced standing is it the same online 2.5yrs without bsw

I applied to the program that requires a BSW for entry and is online starting in May :) 

Here is where I found the admissions decision:

When I logged into my account there is the option to press "admissions", so I clicked that, then clicked "display admissions applications", then clicked the "Master of Social Work" link there and it opened a page where it informed me I had not been accepted.

1 hour ago, bsw17 said:

I applied to the program that requires a BSW for entry and is online starting in May :) 

Here is where I found the admissions decision:

When I logged into my account there is the option to press "admissions", so I clicked that, then clicked "display admissions applications", then clicked the "Master of Social Work" link there and it opened a page where it informed me I had not been accepted.

I am so sorry you didn't get in ?

I hope your other plans work out Okay?

I checked the same way explained but no feedback yet, mine is not the Advanced standing,  still waiting for feedback