Canada MSW 2019

On 3/21/2019 at 10:21 PM, mswash said:

Thank you so much for this!! Any chance you can tell us a bit about the program? What makes it unique/what the placements opportunities are like/whether your experience has been positive?

I'm also wondering how long Laurier, U of T, and York give people to make a decision on their offer, if anyone knows the answer to that!

My cohort is full of amazing supportive people. I really cannot say enough good things about the people sitting beside me in class. I can't speak to other years, but our cohort seems to get along really well, and I have learned just as much from my classmates as my profs (and classes are set up in a way that makes this possible).   

I LOVE that we have our own campus. Only social work, and only Master/PhD level students in our building. I do occasionally go to the main campus to use the library in the evenings/ on weekends though. There are around 75 people in my cohort and we are typically split into 3 sections for each class (25 per class), sometimes there are 4 sections. We occasionally have some of the part time students in our classes and we also have music therapy students who join us for the Individuals class. There will always be some profs who are better than others but I can honestly say for the most part I have loved my profs, we have some pretty incredible people teaching our classes.  We are referred to as colleagues by our profs and my experience has been that they are open to learning from us. Our profs know who we are by name and we are on a first name basis with them. They are very open to the needs of their students, and seem to truly care about our wellbeing. I will say that it is not as clinically focused as I would like, but I do feel that I am getting the clinical component at placement, and although my end goal is clinical social work I feel like the social justice class and community development class were essential. They were actually my two favourite classes so far (mostly because the profs were brilliant). Having the indigenous stream of study in the building enriches our experience as well (guest lectures, faculty members who are indigenous elders, indigenous faculty teach the indigenous knowledge in social work course, and invitations to events put on by the indigenous stream students). Another opportunity is a program called Walls to Bridges, started by one of our profs, and which is now being run through other universities as well, but it provides students the opportunity to take one of their classes alongside inmates in a prison setting. Super cool opportunity! I havent been able to work it into my schedule this year, but fingers crossed for next year! You can check out this link, part of it was filmed in my class when Tina came to do a guest lecture (side note, if you choose Laurier- take a class with Shoshona, she is amazing!):

https://twitter.com/TheAgenda/status/1068549936487239691

The placement process is a bit of a shit show but from what I've heard from friends at other schools this seems to be the case with a lot of the programs. I would say this is my largest complaint about the program. 

Also, just an FYI- next year they are extending our lunch period to make more time for lunch time workshops, which means you will be stuck in class until 5:30pm on class days. This will definitely make it more difficult to find part time work, just something to keep in mind when planning how you are going to survive financially! Especially now that our lovely premier has taken away free tuition #notbitterattall. First semester you have Monday and Friday off so that makes it easier to have a part time job, second semester is more difficult, especially if your placement is not in the city you live in. I had to stop working this semester because I couldnt make it work with the placement/ class schedule. There are people in the program who have been able to make it work though, especially those who got placements close to where they live, or have jobs that are cool with only weekend availability. 

On 3/22/2019 at 10:34 AM, deklr said:

I also have some curiosity as to how you changed or developed your CV/application in between not being accepted and later being accepted. If you have the time or energy to let us know I'm sure it would be a point of curiosity for several folks waiting to hear/or having heard back already! Congrats on being in the program and thanks for your updates. 

My GPA was not initially high enough, and my undergrad was completely unrelated (biology). I took social science courses through Athabasca and got high 80s-90s but that didn't really seem to have an impact. Then I found the online pre-req courses for the Waterloo post grad BSW and took 7 of those, again grades in high 80s-90s, this seemed to make the difference because I was accepted after doing them. I think this is for a couple of reasons:

a) They were social work courses directly related to the program and I could demonstrate I was competent in the area through high grades

b) It meant I had an academic reference from a prof who was also a social worker (also happened to be a graduate of Laurier so that may have worked to my advantage)

c) Because I was taking social work courses, I knew the language they would be looking for in the application and the types of things I said in my personal statement changed. 

So, if you need to boost your GPA I would definitely recommend the Waterloo BSW pre-req courses over other online courses such as those at Athabasca. It would also open the option of applying to the 1 year BSW as a backup if you don't get into an MSW.

I also focused heavily on gaining experience in the field from the first time I applied to when I finally got in. I believe I had about 4000 hours (volunteer and paid combined) when I applied last year. As I gained more experience I also began to talk about those experiences differently in my personal statement and my CV. Volunteering at a distress centre was a valuable experience for anyone looking for something that looks good on the application. This is also an easy way to break into the field if you do not have a related education because that can be really difficult.  It also helped prepare me for the individuals class and as I moved into field placement because I was already familiar with some counselling skills and very comfortable talking about suicide with clients. Additionally, the distress centre where I volunteered (and I would think this is the case at many) was very familiar with writing references for students applying to grad school, and wrote fabulous social work related references.  

For Laurier (this is the only school I applied to so I can only speak to it) - I would make sure there is an emphasis on social justice issues in your personal statement. Ensure you have socially located yourself, and make it clear you are able to engage in reflexivity. There has been a huge focus on these things in all classes and this will be attractive to the faculty on the committee who chooses successful applicants.My successful personal statement had a larger emphasis on these things than previous years when I was not successful.  Include lived experience. As much as it is no ones business what your struggles have been, it seems that those who include it in their personal statement are more likely to get in. 

If you were looking for more specific details feel free to send me a private message :) 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My MyFile has just changed to accepted from York. No call or e-mail.... best of luck to my fellow applicants! You got this ❤️ 

With respect that is quite a negative and verging on rude outlook. While I haven't read every page of this forum it seems like people have been very positive and supportive of one another. At the same

Bleh, I have to say I'm holding a bit of a heavy heart after not hearing anything from UofT and there being no change on Acorn. Witnessing how gruelling this process can be for all of us, and definite

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Purple-Elephant said:

I’m sorry to hear that :( Western is so expensive and not much funding available. I already live in London with cheap rent and had to turn them down. I was offered almost enough funding from Laurier to cover my tuition, and have been saving up for 2 1/2 years because I’ve planned to get my MSW. I also am going to work part time doing respite, and commute to class so I can keep living where I do. Before my full time offer though I had planned to do the Laurier online part-time MSW so I could work full time longer and then work more hours when I had my placement portion of the program. 

Thanks for your response! I am just finishinh my hbsw and immediately prior did my ssw diploma so it has been a longtime since I was able to work fulltime excepting summers so I have zero savings. And lots of months I hit up the food bank too so I may have to wait. King's sadly does not let you drfer so I would need to reapply. Well who knows. Maybe I will get rich over the summer lol unlikely. On the bright side if I cant think of something or osap doesnt up their money, then relinguishing my spot gives someone else a place! We all have our "time" still gonna bask in the fact Western chose me however lol

18 hours ago, DovesLanding said:

Thanks for your response! I am just finishinh my hbsw and immediately prior did my ssw diploma so it has been a longtime since I was able to work fulltime excepting summers so I have zero savings. And lots of months I hit up the food bank too so I may have to wait. King's sadly does not let you drfer so I would need to reapply. Well who knows. Maybe I will get rich over the summer lol unlikely. On the bright side if I cant think of something or osap doesnt up their money, then relinguishing my spot gives someone else a place! We all have our "time" still gonna bask in the fact Western chose me however lol

Honestly if you were already accepted once, one more year gaining MORE experience (and saving some money) will only help you. I had to take a break and not go for my MSW right away for the same reasons you’re considering waiting. With the changes to OSAP I am sure you aren’t alone. A lot of people probably applied, relying on the free tuition for low income students, and had to decline. 

Recieved a conditional offer from UFV!!! Still waiting for an e-mail or something in the mail. So happy since I was waitlisted at Laurier for the 2 year online program for September. Don't give up folks!!! Keep trying and it will happen in the right time.

1 hour ago, SW-kNM said:

Recieved a conditional offer from UFV!!! Still waiting for an e-mail or something in the mail. So happy since I was waitlisted at Laurier for the 2 year online program for September. Don't give up folks!!! Keep trying and it will happen in the right time.

Congrats! :) 

Did Laurier send out the part time online September offers?? 

2 hours ago, aspiringmsw2019 said:

Congrats! :) 

Did Laurier send out the part time online September offers?? 

September 2018..sorry not this year

Edited by SW-kNM
23 minutes ago, 2019MSWToronto said:

I just got invited to the 2 year MSW program at U of T!

Mine still says under review...I think I'm allowed to start freaking out now! Congrats!!

Edited by Dal2UofT

AHH just got invited to the 2 year program at UofT!! I haven't checked my SGS account yet, but my Acorn says "Invited". 

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted so far! Can't wait to meet you all in September! 

@mswash Wow, I had a dream about being accepted to UofT last night, too! I hope your dream brings as good news as mine. :)

edit: my SGS still says "Under Review", though I remember reading in older threads that SGS takes longer to update than Acorn. 

Edited by MDS96

Congratulations everyone who was accepted to U of T, that's amazing! Now come on Laurier....
Just a friendly reminder once you've made your decision as to what school you will be attending to update the other schools that you were also accepted to....from those of us endlessly waiting on the waitlist haha!

Edited by Jessica_11
7 minutes ago, MDS96 said:

AHH just got invited to the 2 year program at UofT!! I haven't checked my SGS account yet, but my Acorn says "Invited". 

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted so far! Can't wait to meet you all in September! 

@mswash Wow, I had a dream about being accepted to UofT last night, too! I hope your dream brings as good news as mine. :)

edit: my SGS still says "Under Review", though I remember reading in older threads that SGS takes longer to update than Acorn. 

41 minutes ago, 2019MSWToronto said:

I just got invited to the 2 year MSW program at U of T!

31 minutes ago, SDZ said:

Ahhh! Same!!! I am freaking out. I probably will not believe it until I get the official acceptance letter in my hands. Congrats!

Hey guys!! did you guys get an email??

I'm not sure where I missed out but I never got an ACORN account just SGS!!

Just now, moonsun.jang said:

Hey guys!! did you guys get an email??

I'm not sure where I missed out but I never got an ACORN account just SGS!!

Go back in your emails, there should be a login that they gave you close to when you applied! 

Edited by Dal2UofT