Jump to content
mriley26

Canada MSW 2019

Recommended Posts

I'm still on the wait list for the 1 year advanced standing program at U of T. I don't expect to hear anything and have been instead looking for full time work and making plans to re-apply for next year. It's pretty disheartening and frustrating, but what else can i do? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 1:53 PM, Ihatethissomuch said:

I'm still on the wait list for the 1 year advanced standing program at U of T. I don't expect to hear anything and have been instead looking for full time work and making plans to re-apply for next year. It's pretty disheartening and frustrating, but what else can i do? 

Hey! I'm on the exact boat as you are except I got waitlisted for the 2-year program. I'm really re-evaluating if Social Work is really for me. I'm also considering to re-apply for next year. I'm planning to apply for B.Ed too as a backup and see what happens. I've also heard that the Ford government is cutting down the social work jobs so I'm also taking that in my re-evaluation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 9:52 PM, hopefulMSW1 said:

Anyone else still on the waiting list for UofT 2 year MSW? And how likely is it that we'd get off the waiting list at this point? 😅

I'm still waiting for that too! I just hope we hear the good news soon. Also, I'm thinking of upgrading my research methods since UofT wants 75% in it, but idk how I still got waitlisted. Does anyone know if I should still upgrade those grades? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if anyone is still on this particular forum, but I have a question regarding the Advanced Standing MSW requirements for research methodology course. U of T requires a Mid-B, which they've mentioned is a 73% or higher. I have a B (unsure of the percentage since my school doesn't list my grade as a percentage). Does anyone know if its just the minimum you have to hit, or do they place an application at higher value if you have a higher grade than the minimum? I'm trying to decide if I should redo research methodology to get a higher grade, although the U of T admissions person said this likely isn't necessarily/that I should focus my application on other areas. Does anyone have any insight on this? 

Thanks  so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Danny11 said:

Not sure if anyone is still on this particular forum, but I have a question regarding the Advanced Standing MSW requirements for research methodology course. U of T requires a Mid-B, which they've mentioned is a 73% or higher. I have a B (unsure of the percentage since my school doesn't list my grade as a percentage). Does anyone know if its just the minimum you have to hit, or do they place an application at higher value if you have a higher grade than the minimum? I'm trying to decide if I should redo research methodology to get a higher grade, although the U of T admissions person said this likely isn't necessarily/that I should focus my application on other areas. Does anyone have any insight on this? 

Thanks  so much!

Call and ask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BTF said:

Call and ask

Will do - I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone accepted to the 2year MSW program at U of T know when the first day of class is in September? I heard September 9 but I am making travel arrangements and want to make sure. Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would anyone who was accepted to the 2 yr MSW program at U of T or Laurier be willing to msg me (or post) their GPA/years of experience/field of experience etc...? I was waitlisted this year and to be honest, I thought I was a shoo-in for this program LOL sadly not the case. I’ve spoken to U of T about improving my application but they’ve been pretty vague so I feel a little lost as to what to do next...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone interested - I just spoke to an Admissions Advisor at Laurier in regards to the 2 year online part-time MSW program, she let me know that about 40 applicants are accepted with over 400 applications received! Makes me nervous but I guess all we can do is try and see! 😥 I also asked whether an academic reference can include a college professor as opposed to a university prof, and she said it was no problem. Best of luck to everyone, let me know if you want to commiserate about the application process hahaha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rofskis said:

For anyone interested - I just spoke to an Admissions Advisor at Laurier in regards to the 2 year online part-time MSW program, she let me know that about 40 applicants are accepted with over 400 applications received! Makes me nervous but I guess all we can do is try and see! 😥 I also asked whether an academic reference can include a college professor as opposed to a university prof, and she said it was no problem. Best of luck to everyone, let me know if you want to commiserate about the application process hahaha!

Thanks for the info! The odds are depressing. I've been accepted into another program but I'd much prefer Laurier. Did they give you any idea about how many months you'd be waiting before decisions go out? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, blueeyedblonde said:

Thanks for the info! The odds are depressing. I've been accepted into another program but I'd much prefer Laurier. Did they give you any idea about how many months you'd be waiting before decisions go out? 

No problem! No sadly, I didn't get a chance to ask that! So many questions, so little time 😵 Which program were you accepted to? Congratulations!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 3:17 PM, rofskis said:

No problem! No sadly, I didn't get a chance to ask that! So many questions, so little time 😵 Which program were you accepted to? Congratulations!!

Thank you! :) I got into the University of Windsor's 16 Working Professionals program. It starts next month, so odds are I will just be going ahead with that program unless Laurier gets back to me before then (which I doubt).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Everyone!


I have applied to the online 2 yr MSW at Laurier. I highly doubt that I will get in after I read about the odds 10/1. I was wondering if anyone knows whether Laurier waitlists people or rejects them or both? 

Good luck everyone!

V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone who got in :).  I'm a hopeful MSW candidate looking for advice. I am very interested in the Laurier part-time online program in order to continue working but also looking into other options.

I graduated 2 years ago from UBC with a BA. I came out of it with about a C+ average. Yeah, pretty low. I have always wanted to go back to school for grad studies and after a year of figuring it out, I realize MSW is what I would like to pursue. I currently work in Human Resources/Employment (as it pays the bills and wasn't able to find a position in mental health when I initially graduated) - actively looking for new positions. Within the year, I completed a certificate in Community Case Management in Mental Health hoping it would lead me towards the right track. I have about 2.5 years of volunteer experience in the mental health field back in BC and I am now currently pursuing relevant volunteer opportunities.

My issue, however, is increasing my GPA. Would you guys advice pursing a BSW before the MSW or doing relevant courses in order to boost my GPA?

I am hoping to applying within the next 2 years.

Any advice helps! Thank you :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, eagerbutfreakingout said:

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone who got in :).  I'm a hopeful MSW candidate looking for advice. I am very interested in the Laurier part-time online program in order to continue working but also looking into other options.

I graduated 2 years ago from UBC with a BA. I came out of it with about a C+ average. Yeah, pretty low. I have always wanted to go back to school for grad studies and after a year of figuring it out, I realize MSW is what I would like to pursue. I currently work in Human Resources/Employment (as it pays the bills and wasn't able to find a position in mental health when I initially graduated) - actively looking for new positions. Within the year, I completed a certificate in Community Case Management in Mental Health hoping it would lead me towards the right track. I have about 2.5 years of volunteer experience in the mental health field back in BC and I am now currently pursuing relevant volunteer opportunities.

My issue, however, is increasing my GPA. Would you guys advice pursing a BSW before the MSW or doing relevant courses in order to boost my GPA?

I am hoping to applying within the next 2 years.

Any advice helps! Thank you :) 

It's a very individualized decision. I know that it was a huge benefit for me to pursue my BSW after my degree. I took off a few years before pursuing my BSW but it raised my GPA quite a bit. The benefit is you'll be immersed in the material you will be studying during your MSW. There are some programs, like Laurier, that only look at the last 5 courses or so but others like U of C look at the last 20 courses. So I would just weigh out your options. There are quite a few distance online programs for BSW where you could work at the same time. Feel free to message me if you have questions about my experience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, eagerbutfreakingout said:

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone who got in :).  I'm a hopeful MSW candidate looking for advice. I am very interested in the Laurier part-time online program in order to continue working but also looking into other options.

I graduated 2 years ago from UBC with a BA. I came out of it with about a C+ average. Yeah, pretty low. I have always wanted to go back to school for grad studies and after a year of figuring it out, I realize MSW is what I would like to pursue. I currently work in Human Resources/Employment (as it pays the bills and wasn't able to find a position in mental health when I initially graduated) - actively looking for new positions. Within the year, I completed a certificate in Community Case Management in Mental Health hoping it would lead me towards the right track. I have about 2.5 years of volunteer experience in the mental health field back in BC and I am now currently pursuing relevant volunteer opportunities.

My issue, however, is increasing my GPA. Would you guys advice pursing a BSW before the MSW or doing relevant courses in order to boost my GPA?

I am hoping to applying within the next 2 years.

Any advice helps! Thank you :) 

I think you would benefit from doing the BSW program first. The 2 year MSW programs are more competitive than the 1 year (though both seem very competitive!) and getting the one year BSW will also give you the chance to raise your gpa. A BSW program will also give you the opportunity to give you more experience as I’ve noticed a lot of people who were accepted have several years experience working in the field / research work plus volunteer experience. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, annley said:

It's a very individualized decision. I know that it was a huge benefit for me to pursue my BSW after my degree. I took off a few years before pursuing my BSW but it raised my GPA quite a bit. The benefit is you'll be immersed in the material you will be studying during your MSW. There are some programs, like Laurier, that only look at the last 5 courses or so but others like U of C look at the last 20 courses. So I would just weigh out your options. There are quite a few distance online programs for BSW where you could work at the same time. Feel free to message me if you have questions about my experience!

Thank you so much! This really put me at ease. I will definitely send you a message, to hear more about your experience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

I think you would benefit from doing the BSW program first. The 2 year MSW programs are more competitive than the 1 year (though both seem very competitive!) and getting the one year BSW will also give you the chance to raise your gpa. A BSW program will also give you the opportunity to give you more experience as I’ve noticed a lot of people who were accepted have several years experience working in the field / research work plus volunteer experience. 

 

Thank you so much for the advice! I was thinking the BSW route. I will definitely look into 1 year BSW programs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jane464652 said:

Just curious if anyone knows of BSW that can be completed in one year after having an undergrad in psych? 

The HBSW program at Lakehead is only about a year. You need a degree to apply, but it does not need to be in a field related to social work (I would know, my degree was far from being social service related and I was accepted into the program). They offer the program at their Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blueeyedblonde said:

The HBSW program at Lakehead is only about a year. You need a degree to apply, but it does not need to be in a field related to social work (I would know, my degree was far from being social service related and I was accepted into the program). They offer the program at their Thunder Bay and Orillia campuses.

Thanks a lot, that is very helpful! I will definitely look into that program. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 7:39 PM, eagerbutfreakingout said:

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone who got in :).  I'm a hopeful MSW candidate looking for advice. I am very interested in the Laurier part-time online program in order to continue working but also looking into other options.

I graduated 2 years ago from UBC with a BA. I came out of it with about a C+ average. Yeah, pretty low. I have always wanted to go back to school for grad studies and after a year of figuring it out, I realize MSW is what I would like to pursue. I currently work in Human Resources/Employment (as it pays the bills and wasn't able to find a position in mental health when I initially graduated) - actively looking for new positions. Within the year, I completed a certificate in Community Case Management in Mental Health hoping it would lead me towards the right track. I have about 2.5 years of volunteer experience in the mental health field back in BC and I am now currently pursuing relevant volunteer opportunities.

My issue, however, is increasing my GPA. Would you guys advice pursing a BSW before the MSW or doing relevant courses in order to boost my GPA?

I am hoping to applying within the next 2 years.

Any advice helps! Thank you :) 

To be honest, MSW part time at Laurier is highly competitive. You’re competing against 400 of applicants with above average GPAs and years of experience. With your experience, I suggest you can apply for full time MSW all over Canada or you can take the post-BSW program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, I am applying for 2020 MSW 2 years post sociology degree.  I have heard about how competitive the admissions are and was just weighing some options.  Does anyone know how many students are admitted to each program and the average grade for admittance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.