Adelaide9216

Question about assigning TAships

Hello,

so I have applied to four courses to be a TA (I wanted to get only one for next term) but I got the answer from my department that I did not get selected for three courses. So I still have one application pending in another department that I am also enrolled in (as a graduate option to my main degree).

Are Teaching Assistantships usually reserved/prioritized for PhD students? I am disappointed that I did not get a TAship but at the same time, I am going to be working as a RA + gonna be a fellow at a research institute so it's fine. Probably is a good outcome anyways due to how busy I'll be next term. 

Edited by Adelaide9216

This varies greatly from institution to institution, but for many programs yes, since PhD students receive their stipends from teaching.

1 hour ago, telkanuru said:

This varies greatly from institution to institution, but for many programs yes, since PhD students receive their stipends from teaching.

Oh, yeah, that makes sense then. So I probably wasn't high on their list. 

On 7/1/2018 at 5:02 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

I know at a few institutions that I applied to for their PhD program. Many of them would not offer a teaching appointment unless you already had a master's degree (or the equivalent in time spent in the program), even if the master's was not an admission requirement. Usually in those cases it is university policy that the instructor needs to have at least a master's to teach undergraduate courses and be an ABD to teach graduate courses.

On 7/1/2018 at 3:02 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

You may not have received any consideration given that you have a RA-ship and a fellowship pending.

Going forward, you may benefit from asking around before throwing your hat in the ring. By asking around, I don't mean that you should ask for permission, I mean that you should find as much information as possible so you can make an informed decision. The time you spend applying for something you're likely not to get is time you can spend doing something else.

10 hours ago, Sigaba said:

You may not have received any consideration given that you have a RA-ship and a fellowship pending.

Going forward, you may benefit from asking around before throwing your hat in the ring. By asking around, I don't mean that you should ask for permission, I mean that you should find as much information as possible so you can make an informed decision. The time you spend applying for something you're likely not to get is time you can spend doing something else.

I did ask information around before applying. But it wasn't a lengthy application though, so I did not waste that much time. But yeah, you may be right, I have a RAship and a fellowship so that might be also some of the reasons why I did not get selected for this.