Music Fall 2019 applicants

klavierstucke

Hey all. I've had a  lot of free time this summer so I figured I'll start the thread for kids applying to Musicology/Composition/Theory etc. grad programs to begin in Fall 2019. Plus I'm curious to know who else is applying! 

I'm applying to musicology phds at the following:

Northwestern, Eastman, Duke, UPenn, Stanford, Brandeis, Cornell, NYU, CUNY, UChicago, Columbia, UCB, Princeton, Yale, Harvard.

May or may not narrow it down, but I've been told to cast a very wide net. My  research interest is 20th century Russian/Soviet music.

My earliest deadline is Eastman, on Nov. 1...only 4 months away!

Let me know whats up!

Edited by klavierstucke

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will be applying to a very similar list as well; hoping for the same acceptances as before and perhaps another option or two as I am not sure where family will end up being and it would be nice to not be a continent away from them. 

• 1 month later...

Hey there!
I just started my application process for Fall 2019 as well (composition) :)

Trying my shots at Juilliard, Columbia, Yale, NEC, McGill, Northwestern, UChicago & UC Berkeley.

Just had my not-so-glamorous GRE a few days ago... but with all other factors of my application I hope it will be Ok!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have a question regarding writing samples that's been weighing heavily on my mind as the application deadlines approach. I earned an MM in musicology from a reputable university, where I initially hoped to work on a project that would be seen as "congruent" with current trends in the field. I was disappointed to find that no faculty members felt up to advising this project, so I was forced to settle on a topic that reflected the interests of my advisor. Unfortunately, the topic and methodology are both pretty dated. As this is the most substantial piece of writing I have, I'm reluctantly using it as a sample for PhD applications. I indicate in my statement that my interests moving forward are entirely different and that this thesis was just an exercise in the fundamentals of research. Another faculty member was hired during the second semester of my final year at my institution who was upset to hear that no one would advise my initial project, and has been guiding me through the application process. She told me she'd indicate in my letter of rec that I wrote the paper simply to satisfy the interests of my advisor and for no other reason. In short, I'm somewhat worried that my application will paint me as an traditionalist, interested in rehashing areas that have been extensively researched. Are my worries justified? Anyone have any opinions about how strongly our samples have to reflect our broader interests? Sorry for the novel of a post! Best of luck to everyone applying this year! Also, I'll be applying to Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Brown, and Berkeley. 

Edited by musician94

I don't see anything for you to do about the situation except to apply and hope for the best. So someone telling you whether or not you are justified to worry just isn't productive.  And how could we know how much they'll care, especially without knowing the specific topics/how strong your writing is/other features of your application?  

So my advice to you: best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone applying to CalArts? I'm applying to the Performer-Composer MFA program. I'm a little late to the game - the deadline already passed, but there are rolling admissions. I spoke with someone in general admissions and they said that there's no guarantee that my application will be reviewed. So I'm freaking out a little. I'm just hoping it's not as competitive of a program as other programs in the school. I do see a lot of green on the results page.

On 12/28/2018 at 4:48 PM, klavierstucke said:

Anyone heard back from Eastman music theory/musicology about an interview?

Wondering the same. No one is reporting much this year on the results page, as I know of at least two schools that have reached out to a friend that are not represented on the page yet. 

53 minutes ago, Musica said:

Someone just posted an Eastman theory interview invite. Maybe you guys will get a musicology wave!

Damn, I applied to both Theory and Musicology at Eastman. I emailed them this morning asking if they'd update my CV that shows ive been recently invited to present my writing sample at a theory conference...oh well.  I've got an interview at Indiana theory though in Jan.

Edited by klavierstucke

13 hours ago, klavierstucke said:

Damn, I applied to both Theory and Musicology at Eastman. I emailed them this morning asking if they'd update my CV that shows ive been recently invited to present my writing sample at a theory conference...oh well.  I've got an interview at Indiana theory though in Jan.

well congrats on the invite! Be sure to update the results page with your haul as they come in ;D

I just discovered today on the results page the MMus in Creative Practice at Goldsmiths. There's only 1 result, so it's obviously not popular on here. But it looks like a very interesting program that combines media with music. That's in line with my interests because I'd like to incorporate interactive media with my live performances, much like the band Muse does with their live tours. I was in the middle of applying to the Popular Music program, but the Creative Practice program includes studies in popular music composition, so I'm going to apply to that program instead.

Late to the game but I just discovered this forum (I've only been looking at the results page). I've aplied to a very similar list of schools for musicology: Eastman, UCB, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago, Northwesterm, NYU, UPenn, USC, UCSD. No requests for interviews yet...

1 hour ago, spianist said:

Late to the game but I just discovered this forum (I've only been looking at the results page). I've aplied to a very similar list of schools for musicology: Eastman, UCB, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago, Northwesterm, NYU, UPenn, USC, UCSD. No requests for interviews yet...

Hey good luck. AFAIK it seems UChicago in past years releases results towards end of Jan so we can expect to hear soon.

If you wouldnt mind sharing,  what kind of topics are you interested in researching?

1 hour ago, klavierstucke said:

Hey good luck. AFAIK it seems UChicago in past years releases results towards end of Jan so we can expect to hear soon.

If you wouldnt mind sharing,  what kind of topics are you interested in researching?

Hey, thanks for the info! So Uchicago just announces results without requests for interviews?

I'm interested in researching French music from the turn of the twentieth century, i.e. those by Debussy, Satie, etc, but from a philosophical approach, i.e. Jose Ortega y Gasset's Dehumanization or Edmund Husserl's phenomenology. I'm open to other historical periods, composers, and philsophers, but one thing I'm certain of is my desire to analyze music from an experiential, as opposed to a solely theoretical, point of view. Hence, I'm particularly interested in PhD programs that integrate music theory and history (This is actually a bit of a concern in terms of my admission since I'm not strong in theory tbh).

How about you? What are you interested in researching?

Edited by spianist