Music Fall 2019 applicants

klavierstucke

34 minutes ago, spianist said:

Hey, thanks for the info! So Uchicago just announces results without requests for interviews?

I'm interested in researching French music from the turn of the twentieth century, i.e. those by Debussy, Satie, etc, but from a philosophical approach, i.e. Jose Ortega y Gasset's Dehumanization or Edmund Husserl's phenomenology. I'm open to other historical periods, composers, and philsophers, but one thing I'm certain of is my desire to analyze music from an experiential, as opposed to a solely theoretical, point of view. Hence, I'm particularly interested in PhD programs that integrate music theory and history (This is actually a bit of a concern in terms of my admission since I'm not strong in theory tbh).

How about you? What are you interested in researching?

Based on previous years' threads on here it does not seem UChicago interviews applicants.

I am interested broadly in  20th-century Russian/Soviet music though so far, I have focused on analyzing 1910s Russian piano music from both historical and music theoretic points of views. Actually, I was also looking primarily for programs that integrate history and theory (and composition and performance ?), and no better place for that than Chicago!. My theory background is also weak but I've spent a lot of time familiarizing myself with analytical approaches germane to my research. 

I imagine you're familiar with Robert Doran at Eastman? 

Edited by klavierstucke

51 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

Based on previous years' threads on here it does not seem UChicago interviews applicants.

I am interested broadly in  20th-century Russian/Soviet music though so far, I have focused on analyzing 1910s Russian piano music from both historical and music theoretic points of views. Actually, I was also looking primarily for programs that integrate history and theory (and composition and performance ?), and no better place for that than Chicago!. My theory background is also weak but I've spent a lot of time familiarizing myself with analytical approaches germane to my research. 

I imagine you're familiar with Robert Doran at Eastman? 

Ah yes, though I was more interested in working with Dr. Holly Watkins if I were to go to Eastman (Tho I like the aesthetics of French music, I prefer the German school of thought in philosophy). It seems our research focus differ, but our approaches to music are quite similar! It's hard to find programs that cater to various interests, but Chicago does seem to be one of the best.

And yessss, can't wait for things to start moving! I don't like this waiting, lol.

6 hours ago, Parsifal said:

Any composers lurking?  I need someone to commiserate with...

I'm a composer, but the only Composition-related program I'm applying to is CalArts. And I'll be focusing more on performance. What programs did you apply to?

On 1/2/2019 at 6:27 PM, Parsifal said:

Any composers lurking?  I need someone to commiserate with...

I'm a composer as well.

Will gladly commiserate with you if I survive the nerve-racking waiting.

Where did you apply, if I may?

1 hour ago, Stimmung said:

Composer here as well. Applied to 5 schools in California. Hoping to get into at least 2 or 3 to have some options. 

wow looks like there are 2 of us with Stockhausen compositions as profile names on here ???

22 minutes ago, klavierstucke said:

wow looks like there are 2 of us with Stockhausen compositions as profile names on here ???

Not gonna lie lol. I started checking out this site a couple of months ago. When I found this thread I saw your name and it inspired me to name my profile after my favorite Stockhausen piece!

Guest barkin62

I knew about this forum, didn't want to participate because we all know this website is a toxic disaster, but I'm bored so I'm here.

I'm applying for PhD theory and have been posting results. I'm applying to Eastman, IU, McGill, UCSB, Yale, CUNY, Columbia.

I'm a "recovering composer" so I can half-commiserate.

Seeing that we still have quite a wait ahead of us I'm curious what other applicants are doing in the meantime. School hasn't started for me yet so I've been working on a couple of composition projects during the break. One is a piece for Violin solo and Max/MSP. The other is a piece for a Buchla synthesizer where an external audio signal triggers the synth using an envelope follower. How about the rest of you? Composing? Writing papers? Studying? Withering away to nothingness? 

I've got a long break so I'm making piano music. In progress on 2 sonatas and a collection of smaller pieces.

Also practicing  stuff for senior solo piano recital (which will include one of my own pieces??)

I'm worried Eastman's silence so far means a rejection for me. Surely if they were planning to interview me on Jan 22 they would have notified me earlier. 

Edited by klavierstucke

I don't really count because none of my apps are in, but I've been working on finishing off unfinished work to submit as part of my portfolio. I have one piece where I'm not really sure what to call it - progressive hip-hop maybe? It's in 10/8 time. The second piece I haven't even recorded yet, but I was experimenting with sampling the bassline from "The National Anthem" by Radiohead because the vocal melody is very similar. Didn't sound quite right, so I will have to put some new strings on my bass and record from scratch.

I'm also taking a Pro Tools 101 online course that starts on Monday because a lot of jobs I've been interested in require you to at least know your way around the software.

Stimmung, what you've described about your pieces sounds like the Music Technology program at NYU. Have you studied there?

Edited by DrF8

19 hours ago, DrF8 said:

I don't really count because none of my apps are in, but I've been working on finishing off unfinished work to submit as part of my portfolio. I have one piece where I'm not really sure what to call it - progressive hip-hop maybe? It's in 10/8 time. The second piece I haven't even recorded yet, but I was experimenting with sampling the bassline from "The National Anthem" by Radiohead because the vocal melody is very similar. Didn't sound quite right, so I will have to put some new strings on my bass and record from scratch.

I'm also taking a Pro Tools 101 online course that starts on Monday because a lot of jobs I've been interested in require you to at least know your way around the software.

Stimmung, what you've described about your pieces sounds like the Music Technology program at NYU. Have you studied there?

Nope, never studied at NYU. I have lived in California my whole life. Although my compositions have often included technology as of late, my background is in "classical" composition - that's what I'm studying in conservatory. 

It sounds like you are looking for work more in the music industry side of things. I have quite a bit of Pro-tools experience from working as a student engineer in my school's recording studio. Very powerful program. If you're looking for grad programs in Music Tech then most schools will probably have a studio and offer Pro-tools for use by students. Do you have a classical background as well?

No, I don't have a classical background. I do like to incorporate orchestral instruments in my music, though. I come from a non-traditional music background. I took private bass guitar lessons from when I was around 17 up until I was 21. I didn't study music in high school or undergrad otherwise. I don't have a degree in music.

My goal is to teach music production at the college level, so yes, I am applying to a couple of Music Tech programs. But I'm currently self-employed and looking for a full-time (or part-time) gig in the meantime. I'm applying to technician jobs and looking for an adjunct teaching gig that will accept my masters in another closely related field. Pro Tools is a common requirement for these jobs. I know practically every music production software but Pro Tools. So that is why I need to start learning now. But you're right about learning while in school. One of the schools I'm applying to, Berklee Valencia (Spain campus that opened in 2012) is heavily geared towards music production and they mention learning Pro Tools as part of the program. Plus, they do have their own studio on campus, and I'm going to assume all the other schools I'm applying to have one as well.

NYU has a course in the Music Technology program that involves composing for the Buchla, so that's why I asked. I wish you luck with your apps. Combining classical music with technology sounds really interesting. Not really far off from what I'm trying to achieve artistically.

So I know Eastman, FSU, and Michigan have sent out (at least some) musicology PhD interview invites! Not schools I applied to this go ‘round, but there is movement! 

EDIT: and I believe Harvard sent the “Foreign Language Proficiencies” thing to everyone, or at least everyone I spoke to. 

Edited by Musica

1 hour ago, Musica said:

So I know Eastman, FSU, and Michigan have sent out (at least some) musicology PhD interview invites! Not schools I applied to this go ‘round, but there is movement! 

EDIT: and I believe Harvard sent the “Foreign Language Proficiencies” thing to everyone, or at least everyone I spoke to. 

Woah, thank you for your post. After seeing your post, I checked my email again... and lo and behold, found an interview invite for the musicology PhD at Eastman, the only school I applied to from the 3 you mentioned!